Vortex Trucks.........Why????

royalblue

OK BIG boys.........

This may ruffle a few feathers to criticize your rigs, but can anyone tell me why all the Vortex truck bodies extend sooooooooooooo farrrrrrrrrrrr past the chassis?

It looks weird and (frankly) dumb! With a cab and body of that size, the rear wheels oughtta be at least a few feet further back. For a start, any sudden incline in the road would have you digging trenches with the arse of your rig!!! I'm surprised that the configuration is even considered roadworthy.

You can come and punch my lights out if ya want, but you'll have to travel half way around the globe first! :p

Ash.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Where the tanks are sitting and the weight of the waste tank once it is full
is is a good balance...........you are less likely to dig a trench with the tires in the placement that they are then adding the extra box weight at the rear with the tires all the way back........

If you were to extend the rear wheels back any further you truck would work alot harder than it need to...........not to mention that the pivot point is shorter

If you look at alot of the 18 wheelers out there most have a pin and track that their rear trailer tires can move forward or toward the back to account for the load and weight balance........makes it easier on the rig and easier to handle the load..

Also ..with the tires where they are it gives you the balance .but it also allows the extra storage room with out having to add camber in the frame.......If the tire were all the way back and the tanks were full could you imagine the weight on the frame and axle with the way it is set up now.with both tanks full the rear does not squat down.......

What makes it look so bad is the placement of the mud flaps.....they put them way to far back....It looks stupid and with them that far back it does not help block things....you can wash your truck and when you go to the first job the back doors are dirty

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The reason the box sets back off like that was because Shawn new the UD motor would last twice as long if it was out in the open so it could breath. The motor runs much cooler now then it would if the box was covering it.

If the box was moved up toward the cab if may look better but the motor would not stay as cool. Tons of thought was put into box placement. It may not look as good but serves a huge purpose.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Adam....where did you get that information on why the box is set back ???????

Mikey P

Administrator
Beauty is in the eye of the indebted...

I think it looks pretty cool.

As far as digging trenches, if the stock rear step was lifted two inches it would never touch ground. As it is, I've left my mark all over them thar hills.....

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Jim

I have talked to the guys at Summit (they make the box) and Shawn explained it to me when I asked the same thing. If they didn't want to help the UD motor stay cooler they would move the box up toward the cab.

Most cab forward trucks are made for driving around carrying stuff. They don't sit in one spot turning 1700rpms all day. Because the V/AT is used in a different way the box is moved back.

Jim....where did you get your information on why the box is set back ???????

G

The back tandem (wheels) are actually set up to evenly distribute the weight. According to DOT Rules and Regulations you're only allowed a certain amount of weight on your steer tires, drive tires, and trailer tires. The setup is to accomodate this weight distribution.

If the tires were farther back, then the weight distribution would be out of whack with a loaded down truck. When you're over weight....the DOT can and will fine you.

Don't believe everything you hear. Regardless of the look, preference, etc... if the weight isn't distributed right....you can get fined. Fines are usually about one dollar per pound. So if you're off....say 300 pounds on your rear axle....that's a $300 dollar fine.

Billy

Name
BH
AdamHale said:
Jim

I have talked to the guys at Summit (they make the box) and Shawn explained it to me when I asked the same thing. If they didn't want to help the UD motor stay cooler they would move the box up toward the cab.

Most cab forward trucks are made for driving around carrying stuff. They don't sit in one spot turning 1700rpms all day. Because the V/AT is used in a different way the box is moved back.

Adam you really need to go & look at normal box trucks is all I can say WOW some people will believe anything. :? :shock:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin

If you actually read my post you will see that I did not address anything about the box I only addressed the issue about the rear wheels being a load balance issue...........

Load balance and camber is something that you learn working on certain types of machinery that I have done over the years.............

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Hell, I am just a stupid country boy, what do I know. I am just telling you what I was told when I asked the 2 people ( that should know ) " why the box is set back a little funny?" My neighbors Isuzu box sets inches from the cab.

I guessed they all were like that.

Again what do I know?

G

They could always use a longer wheelbase so that it doesn't look like so much overhang over the rear axle.

but then you lose turning radius. there also has to be enough clearance to tip the cab forward

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
This is some info I had sent to me from the man that designed the Vortex.

When I built the first Vortexes in 1995 and
1996 I ran radiant heat tests on every square inch of the truck to
determine if there were going to be any problems. (I had many
problems with my CDS machines that would burn up motor mounts and
starters very quickly.) What I discovered in my testing was that
there was an enormous amount of heat being trapped right above the
transmission because of the box sitting so close to the cab. (It's
the transmission that actually drives the PTO which in turn drives
the Vortex.) When I employed Aero in 1998 to mass produce the Vortex
I specified to them to place the box further away from the body so
that the transmission was exposed to ambient air. Nissan diesel
engineers flew in from Japan and did a myriad of testing (including
weight distribution) and gave me a full stamp of approval and
mentioned that it was a wise idea to do so. This is the reason why
both the Aero and the Vortex have so much distance between the cab
and the body today. I hope this clears up your question.

Billy said
Adam you really need to go & look at normal box trucks is all I can say WOW some people will believe anything.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: What is it you would like me to believe? You have a big truck on order and now you know everything!!! LOL, LOL

Shane

AdamHale said:
Billy said
Adam you really need to go & look at normal box trucks is all I can say WOW some people will believe anything.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: What is it you would like me to believe? You have a big truck on order and now you know everything!!! LOL, LOL

hahaha!!!

NOT!!! :twisted:

royalblue

:lol: Thanks for the responses guys!

I was partly serious with my question and partly having a dig, just for the fun of it!

Thanks too Shaun for the email. I'm sure that with the V being your baby, you take any critical comments to heart. Sure seems like a lot of thought and R&D has been behind the development of these beasts.

I expected that there was 'method to the madness' of having such a long overhang. The whole weight distribution thing would seem to dictate the positioning of major mounted equipment, and it seems to me that the back bit is there so you can put other gear into the truck. Its just that there is the obvious trade-off of practical manouverability of a truck of that size and configuration.

For my type of work, I have a compact cab/chassis that is under 6ft high and about 16 ft long. I'd say that in the last 3 months. I have done at least 25 jobs that a V sized rig simply could not get to.

It would surprise me if most of you V guys haven't had a problem where a horizontal surface meets an incline, and you just can't get to where you need to to complete a job. Running long hoses may sometimes overcome this, but that has other trade-offs and issues.

BTW, the heat/ventilation issue makes sense, and I see why there's the space between the cab and body, but that isn't what I was referring to.

Good to have a yarn with ya'all.

Cheers!

Ash.

G

howzabout putting them on something other than an UD?
how about a waste tank inbetween the bed rails like the newer style porta potty trucks. Not to mention the spacial improvements that can be made

go to the Pumper show in nashville later this month and see what I mean.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Billy

I wouldn't care what I thought either!!

Unless you really knew me...........

Then you REALLY, REALLY wouldn't care what I thought!!

All in fun Billy,
I can't wait to see pics of the new AT. When are you getting it? You will love having all that power and heat. You will wonder how you ever cleaned without it.

Billy

Name
BH
AdamHale said:
Billy

I wouldn't care what I thought either!!

Unless you really knew me...........

Then you REALLY, REALLY wouldn't care what I thought!!

All in fun Billy,
I can't wait to see pics of the new AT. When are you getting it? You will love having all that power and heat. You will wonder how you ever cleaned without it.

I don't have any problem with you I can take jokes.

We are still working out some details but if all goes as planned April or May will be when we get our new AT truck. I will know more in the next week or so. I am getting impatient though I have to admit. I agree on power & heat I am looking forward to it. I may not have one yet but I have been researching what truck I want for more than a year.

Aaron

We've added three underbody storage boxes to our AT. Now it has a nicer, lowered look. Plus, it lets us add a bunch more storage. Cost around $1000 and an afternoon to install. Got the boxes from a towing supply company.

Back
Top Bottom