Vortex waste tank

Scott Rogers

I noticed in Dave's pictures of his waste tank mods, the tank is not re-enforced. What keeps these tanks from imploding when set up @18-20 Hg's?

How thick is that stainless? It didn't look too thick.

G

Round is stronger than a box style. The Spinnings for the bottom..and the top are the things that also help with with its strength.

Look at the dairy tanks that are built today...same with fuel oil tankers..

When you drive past those tanker semi's..why are they round. Because the laws of physics show that they hold up better. For us, a box style works, but with alot of braces. Look at what happens without them. Perfect thing is the HyraMaster CDS.

Chad

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
The stainless is pretty thick and strong. I don't think a hammer would do much damage.

Name
Lee Stockwell
A 12 gauge cylindrical tank with minimal bracing would easily withstand 26 hg.

The tank is at more risk of structural damage from external impacts than from the vacuum itself. In other words if it were severely dented or creased by an accident it would be more likely to then be damaged by vacuum at that "starting point".

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Give me a rectangle any day,less wasted space...

My 2 cents...

Something with nice built in shelves too...

I own to much stuff not to have it organized...

Greenie

Somehow I have a feeling there is plenty of space in a V/AT.

The best thing about a V tank is they rinse out well, and are excellent for airflow and turbulence, it's what i think of when I hear Vortex.
On a practical side, less welds too, since it's at the welds that most tanks have issues, one of the reasons AT went to a round freshy.

It'll be interesting to see Butlers 18"hg unit to compete, wonder what kind of tank it'll have?

minuteman

Dave did a real nice job on his round tank, but wouldn't you take it one step further by removing the stuff in the center of the tank and bring the vac source from the side around to the top through the lid and in theory create a tornado in the tank, thus more vac? Just a thought! Greg

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
We've run 55 gallon steel drums as drop tanks on extremely long horizontal runs and when cleaning our parking lot drains and had no problems. The wall thickness chosen has something to do with it, as well as having a vacuum relief to prevent collapse. Even if the relief was jammed closed, there's probably another part of the system that would collapse before the tank would.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom