Vortex

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Hope it's not too late to join the club.

Picked this up a hour away from me.

Came w/ a new blower from Michael Lockhart, who the owner purchased it from a year or so ago (thanks Mike). :rockon:

Drove it straight back, and it's in my mechanic's shop getting a good look over everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: AshleyMckendree

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks!

Pretty happy, got a sick deal on it.

Now I need Lockhart & Ashley on speed dial. :biggrin:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Seriously Bill!
Lol
How many van miles and machine hours?

sent via tapatalk.

200k miles and 5000 hours I believe.

The previous owner gave me a folder w/ all the service that was done to it in the last few years.

I'll be using it as flood truck moving fans/dehus around, till I get to the truckmount portion of it all fixed up, and ready to roll.

My other 2 TNT's are the primary ones at the moment.

Name
BradFenstermaker
Congrats Bill, if I can help ya just holler. I put the paddles to mine a few yrs ago to revive it too.
Get maintnance up to date.

Those 777's are workhorse's. Ashley's has 1/2 million miles atleast with the pto hrs. I reely miss that electric hose reel. LOL

Reactions: tmdry

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

Will deff hit you up Ashley.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
The good news so far, truck is getting:

oil change
trans & diff fluid flush
change all fluids
fuel induction service
2 new wiper blades
2 front rotors

Diesel mechanic shop said the truck overall is in great shape.

(Just like you pointed out Lockhart!)

Next step is checking all E HX's, PTO, pump, belts, gauges, panel, exhaust diverter valve, etc.

Once everything is in good working condition, I'll start w/ the upgrades.

(My 2 TNT's are jelly).

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
the exhaust diverter is the heart and soul of that whole machine. If it sticks in either position you be screwed.

Make sure your ground wire is in good shape, no corrosion or paint to F things up. Keep the breather stone on the Parker vacuum solenoid clean and if some goober mounted it to the frame exposed to the weather do this..

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showth...eart-transplant&highlight=solenoid+box+vortex

Last edited:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Ashley

I would only recommend it if you are not sure of the valve maintenance or if it has not been performed in the last 30000 miles.

Also if you truck smokes or has a very strong odor. Ap

Adjusting the valves will get your truck running more efficient and a bit stronger overall.

Reactions: AshleyMckendree

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
If by odor you mean BURNS YOUR EYES LIKE A THOUSAND SUNS. Then yes I think I'm due for a valve adjustment lol.

Are the valve specs on the ud manual?

Name
BradFenstermaker
Yes Ashley go ahead and do the valve adjustments. That has been atleast 20,000 mi with TM hrs since I did them.

I say once a yr if you drive 9000 miles a yr, and clean 700-900 hrs.

Bill find out what Trans fluid they will be using. Make sure it can be picked up locally, you should do a pan change atleast every couple months. Also look into getting a bigger trans cooler up front. Make sure the trans fan behind the fuel cell is working.

The engine will outlast anything on the truck, the trans needs to be pampered with on time maintance. IMO

Ashley I am jealous how good your Vortex looks.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm missing my V, it's been at the mechanic for a few extra days as they were having a hard time finding the front rotors for the UD.

Between that and hiring 2 new people (office and new tech), it's been deff a "change" for me and my company, we're now @ 9 of us, and I still feel small.

I still remember the day I started w/ just me and my buffer the HP way.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I'm missing my V, it's been at the mechanic for a few extra days as they were having a hard time finding the front rotors for the UD.

Between that and hiring 2 new people (office and new tech), it's been deff a "change" for me and my company, we're now @ 9 of us, and I still feel small.

I still remember the day I started w/ just me and my buffer the HP way.

http://www.tomsudtruckparts.com/

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You can find those rotors on ebay. Centric brand. Centric is one of the largest rotor making companies in the world.

I believe centric is what was used oem.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks guys,

They found it, it should be ready by Monday or Tuesday depending on this storm for tomorrow.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Between my guys, my tm mechanic, and my truck mechanic, I may be able to get these things done quicker.

I have a few questions, bare w/ me.

Is it possible to convert the back sliding door to swing outs instead?

Do you guys know the vac hose capacity on this model's reel and sol reel?

Do I have the room down the road to change the van reel to the newer AT's vac reel?

Can a second sol reel be place next to the existing one w/out getting in the way of the door? I plan to have 2 sol reels live.

I once ordered an electric sol reel and got a screaming deal on it, except the electric sol reel was bigger half the size of my entire truckmount. Can you guys recommend the specs on an electric sol reel so I can keep my eyes open for one in time.

Also, my vac reel has the chain on it, but no motor, would Ted @ AT have this motor or would it be better for me to purchase somewhere else?

Mike, when using the wire wheel on an angle grinder, do we just go around the tanks/blower/reels, or should we remove everything out, grind the floor/clean, have it line-x than put it all back?

Also, w/ the line-x does it make a difference now to have everything out, or having it done around everything the way it is fine?

Which 1 inch insulation should we purchase for the walls? Can it also be placed on the ceiling for more insulation in the winter?

Which carpet can be installed over the insulation?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom