Wand design

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Seems like alot of wand designs out there these day that are trying to capitalize on better air flow and better recovery. it got me thinking about efficient water recovery, as we lay down the solution with the jets behind the wand, we then use high power vacuum to rip the water back the opposite direction it was flowing. Makes me wonder if have jets pointed at the right shear position on the other side of the wand would allow even better recovery. Just random thoughts that are going through my head as I work this rug repair today.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Yeah I really didn't like the design of that Nate! :mrgreen: And it was just something musing me as I was pulling knots out to fix the fringe. I just keep thinking back to fluid dynamics class as well as all of the stuff about keep your hoses stratight to improve air flow and reduce air drag by forcing the air through tight turns, same applies for water or any fluid medium as well, the more tight turns, the more fluid friction/drag you create as well as turbulance. I just was curious in my own mind what a bristor shear kit would do it was fitted to the front of a wand facing back towards the glide. It would drastically change the cleaning direciton and style, and would make it harder to get up to walls effectively, and instead of a tight ripping motion of moisture it would be a tight turn of the water, reducing pressure at the wand, so take your pick I guess.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
So, it would work in the opposite direction- like a Japanese Saw?

6]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFLv4MAXeS86]

A

amazingcleansc

Erik said:
So, it would work in the opposite direction- like a Japanese Saw?

f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFLv4MAXeS8f]

exactly! except clean inconsistently! and probably still need a dry stroke with that piece of shit wand.

lance

What you need the most is a circular system for putting down solution and then picking it up with vacuum. Have you ever seen a CFR uphol. tool used on a cushion? The solution is never let loose into the fabric. It is controlled by the vac power as it goes into the fabric, and then is quickly pulled back out of the fabric in a circular, power washing method.

A floor wand with angled jets and a glide are imitating that circular action the best way possible. The solution is being sprayed THRU the carpet fiber and then being vac'd up asap by the glided wand. That is why high flow really works, because you are "flooding" the fiber with rinse solution in order to remove the emulsified dirt that is/was attached to the carpet.

You can use more PS if you trigger on with both your forward stroke and back stroke. The glide picks up PS as you go forward while you lay down a sheet of water and then picks up the rinse on the way back. If you flow 12 with the trigger always on you are rinsing with 24 flow on the backstroke but not dealing with as much dirt and PS because your forward stroke sucked a lot of it up.

The Zipper wand takes advantage of having two glides working in unison with the jets always spraying rinse solution between them.....no matter if you are going forward or back with the trigger on one glide will be available to immediately pick up the rinse water. And with two glides you can never NOT pick up the PS before the rinse solution comes along.

But don't forget that when you dry stroke with a Zipper and no trigger both glides are using full vacuum power at the same time. That is where the wand really shines. Faster and dryer with less effort. Just add a 500 cfm blower and 2.5 inch hose and off to the races you go.

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
sweendogg said:
Erik, have you ever played with having spray jets shooting both directions at each glide?

I have gave it a thought. The problem you run into is on your back stroke, you will have to stop your spray 6" before you end your back stroke. I just don't think that it would work properly for so many reasons. Lance pretty much hit the nail on the head when he described the jets under the Zipper. We have tried the manifold just in the back and in the middle, but our best results were from the shear action towards the front glide.

Ryan

Doesn't the zipper design have a fundamental problem?

Lots of presprays work better with high heat (at least for me) If you have a slot in front of the jets then your sucking up most of the prespray before the jets hit it.

Just my .02 USD

A

amazingcleansc

Ryan said:
Doesn't the zipper design have a fundamental problem?

Lots of presprays work better with high heat (at least for me) If you have a slot in front of the jets then your sucking up most of the prespray before the jets hit it.

Just my .02 USD

Let me ask you this, do you pick your wand up every single stroke so you dont suck up a triangle of prespray on your back stroke?

If someone has a big tm that can max out a zipper, you have double suction. Not only that, you have a slotted glide to get bigger soil and a holed glide to get moisture. Its like the best of both worlds i think.

It seems like a good idea to me.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
the greenhorn has the spray hitting just before the glide and being sucked up immediately as the wand is being pulled back. Continuous direction, flows right through and out. Works great to flush a spot without having to pull the wand back and forth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom