Wand valves

Bob Foster

Lisa and Greenie please give us the 411.

What brands are better and why, what does excess pressure do to them, how to maintain, how to rebuild, do people retrofit to better valves.

What valves better suit high flow or high heat etc...

Greenie

Honestly...They all suck in one way or another....we quest for the perfect valve.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
As of yet there is NO perfect wand valve. it all depends what is most important to you, and what you are willing to give up to get it.

Pick your most important features and I'll tell you the best valve for you:

easy pull
ergonomic trigger handle
size / weight
price
durability of case
durability of guts
ease of rebuild
adaptability to various wand hangers/mountings.

Take care,
Lisa

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Bob;

As Lisa states, there are lots of variables.

We choose our TM valves based first on durability day-in and day-out.

We look for two o'rings on the plunger stem for longer life and fewer leaks.

Stem diameter should be large to eliminate rocking inside the valve.

Valve seat should withstand 300° and chemical attack, which usually means Teflon material.

The Kingston 1000 is our usual valve of choice.

If you want the lightest operating force, then we would go with the Stainless Steel "soft touch" valve.

If you want the best ergonomics, then I would look at a GunJet pressure washing valve system.

Each valve has it's own attributes for the user.

Larry

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
what's the paraplate that comes on a Steamway wand?

cause i think they SUCK.
They start leaking from the stem after a couple weeks....JUNK

We got 10 times more mileage out of the CHEAP K and P valves

None of the valves hold up to a steady diet of mega heat though

BTW, Bob, I DO agree with you that there's no better unloader than a paraplate :wink:

..l.T.A.

Kelly

The Perfect Valve...let me know when you find it. BTW lubricating the valve stem with a silicone lubricant usually makes the stem seals last longer.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Larry & Bob;

Please explain the superior durability of the Paraplate Pressure Regulator to Mikey.

He said he didn't understand why we used it on our TM's.

I think it is the longest lasting regulator in the industry.

Larry

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
There's a secret to the Paraplates.. It has to do with the rebuild kit.

Personally, I've always liked them. They're very durable, feather- touch (with the right trigger) and, unlike the Shcrader, they rebuild out the bottom.

In lieu of a Paraplate, the V800 PMF valve has been nice as well, in my experience.

I've had good results with K- valves, as well.

But, all things considered, I see the Paraplate as the one to get...

harryhides

Name
Tony
The para-plate is an absolute disaster in cold weather because if it freezes there is no fix - they must be replaced.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
No, Kev. That's one I dont' share...

Harry...

I'm with Bawb on this... Name one that you can freeze.

I'm thinking maybe the one in stainless steel I saw... it looked similar to a K or P valve, so I think it was one or the other... but that is the only one that I think might qualify...

Glynn

Without doubt it has to be the Hydramaster valve as used on their truckmount wands and the RX20 etc. I have never had one fail yet apart from a spring.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
All ya gotta DO is google Para-Plate an' SEE some of the stuff they make and WHO they make it for...ANYONE thats argues against a Para-Plate is an imbisel...plain an' simple!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
will someone tell me whats the problem with the factory valve prochem puts on their wands?? 6 years over 2k hours and I am still on the same valve with no repairs or problems in any way. sounds pretty damn perfect to me. when I worked for someone else a 6 truck operation, I can only remember putting in 2 rebuild kits. the perfect wand valve has already been made, if it lasts thousands of hours and years of service I say its working well.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
So I put a westpak valve on my wand maybe a week or two ago and today it starts leaking at the jet. Are these not made to tolerate high heat? I popped off the nut and saw nothing wrong with the seat or the ball.

RichardnTn

Hey Duane, The wand that you gave me with the TM has 600 hours on it and doesn't drip or leak....I don't know what it is..(don't want to walk out to the garage) but it is doing well...use it with high heat too ......Richard R

harryhides

Name
Tony
bob vawter said:
So Harry...name a valve that you CAN freeze........

The paraplate valve is made of something like pig iron which will expand far more easily than the component parts of the repair kit. The PMF or Hydramaster valves, for example will also freeze but are easily fixed by changing out the stem or or bottom nut - much cheaper.

Greenie

I don't want to step on any toes, but let me say what was true 5 years ago is not true today...lots of changes in the industry, lots of outsourcing by once reputable Mfgs.

The two main features that guys seem to want are Comfort, and durability, everything else is secondary....oh and they would like a rebuild kit not to cost $40.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
The paraplate valve is made of something like pig iron which will expand far more easily than the component parts of the repair kit. The PMF or Hydramaster valves, for example will also freeze but are easily fixed by changing out the stem or or bottom nut - much cheaper.

Harry.the very essence of Para Plate is the solid block of stainless billet that it is CNC machined from...

pig iron.....REALLY NOW!

you may know leather an' maybe a snakeskin nEKtie but yous knows squat about wand valves.....

harryhides

Name
Tony
Sorry Bob, whatever the reason, I've seen plenty of irreparable paraplates due to cold weather the likes of which you seldom if ever see and I've seen other valve types hold up much better and that's a fact Jack !!

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Greenie said:
.oh and they would like a rebuild kit not to cost $40.

that is likely supplier greed right there, I would wager on that item most suppliers are marking it up 100%. a 30 or even 50% markup would be alot more doable. I still can't get over paying $350 for a water pump clutch that is proprietary to my machine, that is at best a $100 part and we are getting a serious hosing.

Kelly

Try price shopping proprietary parts for a mercedes or a jag. gotta love it....prochem is number one for a reason

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom