WARNING Hydramaster CDS owners

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
If you own a Hydramaster, seriously consider replacing these PLASTIC fittings that connect the heater hoses to the heat exchangers. We've had three different units where the fittings have failed, overheating the engines due to coolant lost. The last failure may have cost us an engine. When the fitting fails it sprays coolant inside the van while the tech is unaware working in the house. Why Hydramaster would use cheap plastic fittings on such an important connection is beyond me.
We are in the process of replacing all their plastic fittings with brass in all our units. fitting.jpg

Last edited:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Hydramaster decided to use them after noticing that the van manufacturers using the same fittings in the cooling systems of their new trucks. Hydramaster stopped using plastic fittings and we've changed all of ours out.

Our week-old GMCs still come from the factory with plastic hose connectors, so GM doesn't seem to care.

Name
Ralph Pastorelli
My 04 HM CDS has never had this issue and it has over 4000 hours I must be lucky or I just jinx it..lol

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
Hey Boyle. I got two 2013 and a 2008 CDS.
How about a new transmission I had to drop one in the 2008 yesterday. Ouch! LOL

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Thanks Doyle.
I can't help wondering if Hydramaster knew it to be an issue, why not alert CDS owners of the possible hazard. I'm looking at replacing an engine.
If your serious about replacing the fittings, I'll need 6 pair as I have already
changed out our other vans' fittings.

Reactions: John Olson

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I had a transmission replaced on my Ford with a CDS. (Years ago.)
Naturally, it happened a few weeks after the extended warranty expired.

I do wonder if it is an issue with all PTOs (as the engine accumulates more hours in idle) or CDs specific?

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
If you're not ready to buy a trany after 75-100k with a PTO, get a slide in. I accept that, but My issue is unrelated.

Looks like my engine will have to be replaced.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The CDS puts remarkably little strain on the drivetrain. Heat build-up with an idling truck is really the concern, so installing a tow package or a transmission cooler will help, and you may have to buy one extra set of plug wires or belts in the lifetime of the truck... or plastic cooling system components.

Also, buying the historically least problematic van and engine combo works better than brand loyalty. If every tradesman is having problems with a particular truck/engine/transmission, you will as well.

PS: I agree that it's frustrating having damage caused by a cheap part. While you're in the engine compartment, check all of the factory plastic that hoses connect to as well.
The heater core connections are exceptionally fragile.

Last edited:

Joe Appleby

Supportive Member
Name
Joe Appleby
Thanks Doyle.
I can't help wondering if Hydramaster knew it to be an issue, why not alert CDS owners of the possible hazard. I'm looking at replacing an engine.
If your serious about replacing the fittings, I'll need 6 pair as I have already
changed out our other vans' fittings.

Should I interpete your no reply as just that?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I love it when a manufacturer steps up and resolves a real issue.

Good customer service is not dead, and they can still hear us.
Um- NO. Recalling the affected models and replacing them at the dealer would be a bare minimum. $5 worth of fittings is cold comfort when you have to replace an engine.And why would a manufacturer use cheap ass plastic in an area like that in thbe first place?:icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: Joe Appleby

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Because willie that's what the engineer/manufacture marriage-middlegroud specs were when designing the unit.

There is logical thought process to the fact, that if the manufacturer of the vehicle is using plastic fittings all along the heating (heater core) and cooling system(radiator) that it would be proper for the manufacturer of the cleaning unit to as well use plastic fittings in their loop of their "heating" system on that vehicle.

Now it is important to understand there are many different types and grades of plastic, but generally speaking, the plastic used by the manufacturer of the vehicle tend to last years and years without issue. So it is important to the manufacturer of the cleaning plant to make sure they are using a more durable plastic to ensure a critical part such as this does not cause total failure to the vans engine.

I by no means talk with out understanding your pain, as last year I lost a Diesel engine to a ruptured coolant line and my tech didnt immediately know, then when he did hear all of the warning chimes continued because "he thought he could make it to the shop with out a problem".

So yes, it does suck. Now knowing these fittings are failing at certain intervals , they should be placed on maintanance schedule and switched out at certain intervals.

If this problem was happening during warranty period provided by the manufacturer I would say this is a bigger problem. But when I see that is is happening on 4-6 year old vehicles then in needs to be turned Into a maintenance item and replaced every specified machine hour.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Oh and for the manufactuerer to send out parts for a unit that is out of warranty is a big step up for this industry as a whole.

doylebloss

Supportive Member
Name
Doyle Bloss
Joe,

As mentioned by some CDS owners here, the large majority of CDS units had no issues with these fittings. The fittings we used are the same composite that the van manufacturers used in similar applications.
A member of our customer care team will be in touch with you in reference to getting you some new fittings.

Reactions: hogjowl

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
And why would a manufacturer use cheap ass plastic in an area like that in thbe first place?
Good question for GM, and the aftermarket suppliers that supposedly test that plastic and specify it for the purpose. At least HydraMaster is moving away from the plastic fittings, no such hope for GM and other automakers.

I once bought an older BMW at a really good price because it would only run for a few minutes before stalling, and then would not start for a half-hour or so. The owner said no one could figure it out, so sold it as is. On a BMW forum people were talking about the barbed plastic fuel line connectors collapsing. Replaced with brass and had a nice car for cheap.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
A simple sensor should shut off the engine. If my coolant gets low or a hose or the radiator fails it shuts off. No harm no damage. It has happened to me at least twice so far. The temperature sensor is less than 20 bucks.

Gene

Reactions: JS41035

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
What did you pay Tom? Mine was $3700. I just spent over $4000 on a new drive shaft after the last clutch wasn't installed properly. Now it's in for a water pump and thermostat. I swear I'm just cleaning carpet to keep the truck repair shop in biz.
$4100

Back
Top Bottom