WASTE TANK SPRING RELIEF VALVES

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
anyone still use these......im makin' them now!
notice how worn the old one was....
reliefvalve.jpg

glenboy

Name
GLEN
are u makin them wit the oillite bushing cuz i bought one from M,,,, AND IT HAD NO BUSHIND ??????

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Nick would say that the lower left one has gone "free flow", and is broken in just right. somewhat amus

I can see the Oilite bushing pretty clear in those pics.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
glenboy said:
are u makin them wit the oillite bushing cuz i bought one from M,,,, AND IT HAD NO BUSHIND ??????
if i had more time... the whole damn Steam Genie would be entirly....CNC!!!!!

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Learned many years ago with tech's and operators that did not clean out filters, the proper place for vacuum relief is at the blower not in the waste tank.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
KevinD said:
Learned many years ago with tech's and operators that did not clean out filters, the proper place for vacuum relief is at the blower not in the waste tank.
why is that?

John Watson

Are your glasses better than mine???

Looks like electrolisis to me, needs a sacrficial zink cathode...

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
bob vawter said:
KevinD said:
why is that?

Because putting a relief AFTER the filters in the tank does nothing to protect the blower in case the filters get clogged.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Conventional thinking doesn't always win out over evidential reality.

I've seen more blowers grenade from errant relief valve parts than blowers damaged by human error due to clogged filters.

At least a clogged filter gives an indication before failure (no wand vacuum/wet carpet/high vacuum gauge reading).

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
GeneMiller said:
i need to replace mine, was thinking about Johns. He makes one out of teflon.

gene

what does he get for his.....
the reason i made these was the local supplier here was trying to get $200 a pop.....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
GeneMiller said:
i need to replace mine, was thinking about Johns. He makes one out of teflon.

gene
if you THINK you need to replace them.......
you really DO need to...cuz they are always WAY worse when you take them off to see............

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Shawn Forsythe said:
Conventional thinking doesn't always win out over evidential reality.

I've seen more blowers grenade from errant relief valve parts than blowers damaged by human error due to clogged filters.

At least a clogged filter gives an indication before failure (no wand vacuum/wet carpet/high vacuum gauge reading).

And...There should also be a safety devise preventing small parts from reaching the blower in the event of a failure.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
KevinD said:
And...There should also be a safety devise preventing small parts from reaching the blower in the event of a failure.

Like a vacuum filter screen between the blower and vac relief valve?

Thank you for making my point. 8)

A vacuum filter isn't supposed to stop much of anything, as a rule, except for that which gets past all the service safeguards. However this doesn't stop poorly designed recovery tanks from being designed and built without proper filtration & screening and airflow characteristics. The vacuum filter is designed as a last step defense of any materials reaching the blower. As such, it is improper to house any other devices past that filter that would have potential in themselves becoming lethal debris. Moreover, the waste tank should exhibit design characteristics that trap most all lint and other potentially airborne particles and have lint filtering media as well. Over time, the vacuum filter will build up debris attracted by condensate on the filter screen. The filter should be checked at least 3 times for every expected cycle of servicing of that media. As well, the machine should be equipped with a vacuum gauge as a backup indicator of the freedom of flow past the vacuum filter.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
sooooooooooooo then Shawn....
how well do you believe the Steam Genie Waste Tank was designed?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
KevinD said:
bob vawter said:
KevinD said:
why is that?

Because putting a relief AFTER the filters in the tank does nothing to protect the blower in case the filters get clogged.
yor machine is BUILT wrong if you can DO THAT!

lance

Shawn, please tell us what makes the waste tank so good.

I think the V/AT round waste tank is great except for having the APO pickup from the bottom and suck in all the gunk.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Stainless steel, but that is only where it starts. Some people think that all stainless steel tanks are equal, or at least somewhat equal.

The tanks were built with a ribbing and bulkhead construction that has never been duplicated by any carpet cleaning equipment manufacturer, then or since. Steam Genie invested a pretty penny in the press brake dies that were used. The tank was also fashioned to very specific dimensions that were ideal for secure mounting, draining, and space utilization. Careful attention was made not to build the tanks too tall, which multiplies stress on mountings when carrying a full tank. Ask old But@@@ owners how their improper dimensioning stresses the mount brackets, leading to cracking. They chalk it up to inevitability, but it isn't inevitable in tanks designed properly.

The body ribbing and advanced bulkheads lead to an unmatched stiffness, while maintaining a still thin gauge for lightness. The stiffness wards off the work hardening that stainless steel can endure in an inferior tank. This work hardening leads to cracked welds after a number of years, but is completely unknown in a Steam Genie tank. If you see a tank that "breathes" very much as vacuum rises and falls, the tank is wearing or fatiguing with every cycle. Sure, you will see the lid on a Steam Genie tank move, but no welds are being stressed by it.

I could go on, but I think my point is made. The crafting that goes into any machine design is centered on mountings. How you mount, where you mount, the security of the mount, and the longevity of the mount.... of everything. The pump, blower, engine, plumbing, and yes the waste tank (and the parts to that tank to each other).

BTW, I think the V/AT tank is great too. A little heavy though. It has to be, because it is more "simple" engineered and requires heft for requisite strength to compensate. It is also a horrible from a space utilization standpoint, but its saving grace is a large box truck mounting that disguises both the space and weight issue.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Thank you Shawn for clearing that up for us.....NOW.....
do you believe that a company that would put THAT MUCH time... expense and Innovation in the WASTE TANK....
would do so thruout the REST of the machine.....as well?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom