Water Based carpet and fabric protectors, which do you like?

Mikey P

Administrator
We are considering adding a couple of water based products to our testing

What brands do you like?

If you are a manufacture and would be interested in joining in on this project (test results and carpet test samples will be on display @ the Florida MFE show) please contact me asap.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I like the ones that make me the most money/give the best mark up. :biggrin:

We use Scotchgard and Maxim. We charge almost double for Maxim.

Last edited:
Reactions: J Scott W

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The test should include Scotchgard, which is the standard in the industry, and the most recognized name by consumers.

Reactions: dgardner

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
Really, it's just about giving the customer choices, nothing special about it. With Maxim they have three options.

1. No protection
2. Scotchgard
3. Maxim, with a one year spot and spill warranty.

We differentiate between the two by explaining that Maxim is an acid dye blocker and the benefits and that it comes with the warranty.

We also have a 3rd product. One of the nano-protectors. This is offered in a totally different context and more of a sister company that we are launching. More to come on that soon.

Name
Rieta Ebberts
We've been pretty pleased with Misty Pro-Tec manufactured by Amrep, Inc. It's water-based and it can be added directly to our cleaner. No problems or issues with it.

Name
Rieta Ebberts
So what makes your product different and how does it protect the carpet?

What makes us unique is that our cleaner doesn't get in the way of the protectant - the cleaner cleans, the protectant protects and it works really well. It's similar to the idea of adding fragrance to a cleaner; one doesn't fight with the other. Because our cleaner doesn't have all kinds of additives, there's nothing to compete with the protectant. We've found that any water-based protectant seems to be very compatible.

Another water-based protectant we really like is CFP by Betco.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Rieta;

Any protector that you add to a cleaning solution will be compromised (even carbonated) . . .

You need some type of extraction step for applying "best protection"

Last edited:
Name
Rieta Ebberts
Any protector that you add to a cleaning solution will be compromised (even carbonated) . . .
You need some type of extraction step for applying "best protection"
I can't speak to any other cleaners or protectants BUT we have had no issues with our cleaner and the water-based protectants that I named. We've been doing this for well over ten years, no issues. Other cleaners or protectants, and I believe you are absolutely correct.

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
When you extract the dirt with either the bonnet or wand how do you not extract the protector as well?

Name
Rieta Ebberts
When you extract the dirt with either the bonnet or wand how do you not extract the protector as well?
The bonnet picks up the solution, soils, and excess protectant. It leaves the carpet mildly damp, which is the right amount of protectant to effectively protect the carpet fibers. We've not done co-application with extraction so I can't speak to that.

Reactions: Wing It

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom