Water Box Fittings - I can't get 'em off

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
OK, here's the deal.

I need to replace my float valve in the water box. Pictured below is the hardware. The nut on the left loosens without problem. The elbow on the right is stuck and won't budge. What can I use to get this free? I've tried using channel locks to grab the threaded piece in the middle, but it's doing damage.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I can barely get my hand in there. When it is in there, all I can grab is float parts. Not nearly sturdy enough to hold things in place. F'n Hydramaster.

I'd like to ring some folks necks over there. Starting with the guy who used fload hardware that can rust.

HM guy: "Hmm, sits in water most of the time.....should we use stainless??? "

Dirk: Punches HM guy in throat.

Name
George Valliant
Looks like you might be able to sneak a hack saw blade between the float threads and the 90. Cut that beeach off and replace the 90?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Now that there is a damn fine idea.

So, I go out to the garage today and find that the water box is empty. Slow leak somewhere. I musta messed somthing up on the lower part of it while trying to get the float assembly out.

Couple of questions.

1. Is there a benefit(besides being able to get my grubby paws into it) to having a larger water box?
2. Where do I find one?

It seems like I remember Greenie talking about this once.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
You can cut off the 90 but getting the threads out of the valve is going to be a problem. Plan on replacing the valve. Can you get a pair of vice-grips on the valve? It could backup against the tank while you turn the 90.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dirk Wingrove said:
1. Is there a benefit(besides being able to get my grubby paws into it) to having a larger water box?
2. Where do I find one?

1.) i don't know any benefit to having a larger WB.
I vaguely recall Greenie mentioning something about a larger WB.
But thought that was some kind of mod idea that involved recirculating hot water back to the WB

2.) any fab shop can make you a box and lid out of stainless.
If you go that route, be sure to specify stainless welds, other wise the welds will rust and you'll be cleaning with rusty water on start up
(ask me how I know :oops: :oops: )

it may or may not end up being more expensive than buying an OEM water box though

is that brass fitting coming out of your WB part of the float valve?
or does the FV screw into it?

as Shane mentioned, you'll still have to removed what's left in the threads after you hack saw it off.
Be easier to it in a vise once it's out of the tank though.
got any easyouts?

if not, i'd just buy new brass fittings

til then, get that netune hose off, squeeze your hand in that tank and clamp on some vise grips like Shane suggested

BTW, you do know there's a right and wrong way to get vise grips and chanel-locs to bite, right?

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom