Water extraction

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
i had a small flood tonight . The padding was stain shield and odor shield. I'm just curious if an extractor will pull water through it. She also had terrazzo which won't soak up water so I pulled it because I felt it was my only choice. Normally I don't do them but she is a 25 year customer and doesn't do well with strangers. I was thinking about buying a stand up flash extractor.

Gene

tres davis

Name
tres
We usually just cut out wet pad and replace. Speeds up drying. Have you checked moisture in walls yet?

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm not worried about the job, just curious if you can extract that kind of padding in place.

Gene

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No Gene you did the right thing. The pad has a vapor barrier that won't allow urine in. The only problem it also won't allow moisture out.
So where normally air passing over it would pull vapor from the pad allowing it to dry. This pad will not allow it even with weighted ride on extractors.

Good decision to pull it! :cool:

P.S. The worst part for the homeowner is this is preminum pad. They paid more for features that actually make it of less value in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tres davis

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
No Gene you did the right thing. The pad has a vapor barrier that won't allow urine in. The only problem it also won't allow moisture out.
So where normally air passing over it would pull vapor from the pad allowing it to dry. This pad will not allow it even with weighted ride on extractors.

Good decision to pull it! :cool:

P.S. The worst part for the homeowner is this is preminum pad. They paid more for features that actually make it of less value in the long run.

I told her but she didn't care. She doesn't have a dog so I don't know why they sold it to her. I bought a roll of it a year ago from Home Depot. If I remember right it was around 400 per roll. It's a concept that I don't believe will pan out.

Gene

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I have a rough outline for a Facebook post about Pet Pad. I just need to send it to Dan so he can reword it. I'm terrible at writing.

Pet Proof Carpet Pad . . . and Water Damage

When you’re ready to purchase new carpet for your home, you’ll be choosing more than just carpet. You will also be investing in carpet pad. Carpet pad is a layer of dense foam that sits between your carpet and your sub-floor. Just like carpet, you’ll have many choices ranging in quality and price.

Relatively new on the market is moisture proof or pet proof carpet pad. This carpet pad is specifically designed to repel moisture and/or urine. Most people opt for the moisture proof carpet pad if they have experienced pet urine in their carpet at some time. Pet proof carpet pad tends to be of higher quality and more expensive than regular carpet padding.

When your carpet is exposed to urine or moisture it has to go somewhere. Pet proof carpet pad does not make urine magically disappear. With this type of padding the urine or moisture moves across the top of the pad rather than being absorbed, like a sponge. The urine ends up saturating the back of the carpet rather than the pet proof carpet pad. In this type of situation pet proof carpet pad would protect your sub-floor from urine damage, possibly saving you money in the future.

The problems with Pet proof pad arise when a homeowner has a water damage incident. Then the features of the Pet pad work against restoration by trapping water in the pad. It acts as a vapor barrier and does not allow water extraction or drying. When faced with this type of pad in a water damage situation there is no option. We must remove it.

That can be a tough pill to swallow after paying a premium price for those special features. We have seen many disappointed homeowners when told that their investment in special pad needs to be throw out.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I'm not worried about the job, just curious if you can extract that kind of padding in place.

Gene

I always disengage a comer of the wall to wall carpet and check the padding prior to extracting water. If it appears to have a vapor barrier on it I remove a 2"x2" piece of pad and try to suck or blow air through it. It is surprising how often what appears to be a vapor barrier is actually permeable.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I always disengage a comer of the wall to wall carpet and check the padding prior to extracting water. If it appears to have a vapor barrier on it I remove a 2"x2" piece of pad and try to suck or blow air through it. It is surprising how often what appears to be a vapor barrier is actually permeable.
:headbang:

Always the best approach. People will look at you like you're crazy until you explain what you're doing.

It can save you a lot of wasted labor trying to extract water from the pad that will never effectively be pulled through the carpet.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom