Water Pump- can I experiment with stop-leak additive?

jamidei

Merc. Water Pump- can I experiment with stop-leak additive?

Merc. Water Pump- Prochem 100a

I'm not getting good flow- I was wondering if I used some "seal softeners" like you would use in automobiles to stop leaks in auto-trannys and other pumps-
would I cause more problems-- any ideas on that?

It looks like I'll need to rebuild or replace my Mercury MC14 water pump. My pressure gauge moves from over 500 to zero every time I open the valve and I get 64 ounces per minute flow..

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Have your check all of your filters-screens. Make sure your not starving it. I don't know how you could run the additive throught the system but I doubt it would help anyway.

jamidei

I've had everything checked out- and the water pump will need a rebuild according to the Prochem mechanic- - but I was thinking the rubber seals could be getting hard- like they do in automatic transmissions- and pressure could be leaking- Softer rubber seals might give me more time before the rebuild.

Supersucker

I'm not familiar with that pump, but most are quite easy to rebuild. You plan on rebuilding it yourself or hiring it done?

Name
Lee Stockwell
How old would that pump have to be?

Bill Bane was once going to have a museum of old cleaning equipment. The first 100A I remember seeing was about 1975.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I had a friend whose pump gave the same symptoms. It turns out the dumb ass put blower oil in the pump. Bite the bullet and rebuild or replace, NOW.

jamidei

Yes it is a great machine to last so long- the suction and heat can't be beat.
The pump will get the rebuild- but hey- you don't learn if you don't ask.
Thanks all.
John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom