Water softener recommendations

TimP

OK, I'm interested in buying a water softener eventually. I don't think I'll be going the Kinetico route since they are expensive, unless I can get a steal. What softeners out there are good and inexpensive. In addition to low maintenance. What I'm looking for biggest bang for the buck. Since I'm a broke carpet cleaner. Please comments on actual ownership experience only.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Magic Wand and Bridgepoint are the only ones I know of. About $500.00 (manual).
It doesn't seem to be a common item on ebay.

Albert

Name
Kevin McCreary
One of my local competitors just gets a rental tank from Culligan. Drives in once a month and swaps it out. No hassle, no up front equipment cost, no equipment to go bad, no salt, no recharging. I think he actaully can go like a month and a half for like 15$.

Joe Couch

HydroForce sells a good softner, we have 4 of them and they work great. They are durable and easy to maintain. I would recommend the automatic one over the manual its worth the extra money. If you are in a hard water area like I am this is one piece of equipment that you do not want to skimp on.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have used this in both my CDS and now in the Vortex.............

works great..never any problems............I charge it every 50 machine hours..

100_3571.jpg

Name
steve snail
Have a Sears model installed in my home that I fill the water well with. Soft water for cleaning as well as in my home. By far not the cheapest, but I love it!

Kelly

My personal advice is, that your money would be better spent on a fresh water tank system and run a home water softener service. A self contained water softener in your van just makes a mess and eats holes. Im a fan of chemical decalcification.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Kevin McCreary said:
One of my local competitors just gets a rental tank from Culligan. Drives in once a month and swaps it out. No hassle, no up front equipment cost, no equipment to go bad, no salt, no recharging. I think he actaully can go like a month and a half for like 15$.

Interesting, Kev
Thanks

..L.T.A.

TimP

I have a fresh water tank. But adding a softener to our home probably wont be too easy. I'm sure it could be done but they would have to do some plumbing work as I'm sure I'd want the tank in the garage and the water comes into the house on the opposite side. However if I get busy I'll run out of water in a few jobs and I'm not running home and waiting 20 minutes or longer to refill.

Kelly

Then Id use a single tank unit mounted in my van and the recharging system left at home.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Kelly said:
My personal advice is, that your money would be better spent on a fresh water tank system and run a home water softener service. A self contained water softener in your van just makes a mess and eats holes. Im a fan of chemical decalcification.

If you set it up right you will have no problems with mess or anything else

just plain common since .....

But one would wonder (even if you have a fresh tank ) what if you have to fill or connect to other places then you water softened home ?????????????

Djrosselli

Used water softener

I have a barely used small water softener the kind with the small brine tank that works great. Think I paid $700 bucks for it a few years ago and then we bought a house that had a water softener so it just sits in my basement. Call me @ 716-471-8404 or e-mail me @ djrosselli@msn.com if your interested.

Farenheit251

Fleck is the largest manufacturer of most of the control systems including a Culligan I saw. Their systems will be carried by all your local water & well stores. Stay away from the companies with high commisioned salesmen and look for a company that does sales and service/repair. Probably on the edge of town where many people use well water. Mine got me the best size tank for my van,installed a whole house system and a salt resevoir for just over a $1000. He is also available for help if needed and I clean his house now.

TimP

Robert, I saw that one a while back. There is no way I'm dropping over 2 grand for a used water softener. If I saw one on e-bay for cheap I'd be all over it. I'm all for a deal!!!

R

R W

I hear ya, Tim. I dropped $1600 back in 1992 for mine. It was specifically designed for carpet cleaning TM's by a company out of Southern Ohio. The local Kinetico dealer had a shit when he found out that I bought it mail order......they have protected areas. The system was designed to bolt right up to your TM, and included a water tap to fill your sprayers with soft water. The uniqueness of the Kinetico is the trouble free onboard recharging that require NO electrical power to recharge (they recharge according to water usage), and while one tank is recharging, the other is supplying non-stop soft water to your TM. The brine is discharged into your waste tank (or a separate holding tank that you drain later).

I ran across some in the local paper last year, but was too late to buy them. I'm going to call the local yokel tomorrow and see if he might have some used or repo units for sale. These Kinetico dealers are like shady used car dealers.....they want to turn you upside down and shake out your pockets. All there sales are commission driven. They would be the SS'ers of softener dealers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom