Website must have and have nots.

Mikey P

Administrator
Talked to a guy today who was complaining about how slow biz has been the last six months.

I asked if his website was pulling much work

He tells me he had to yank it due to costs..:eekk:

Turns out his lousy Superpages site was charging him $298 a month and he wasn't getting squat in return.

Most, if not all of those yellow book designed and hosted sites suck

Cooky cutter, got no soul, let your fingers keep on walking crap.

He needs to get a site back up PRONTO

What would you tell him are the most important/ effect features on your sites?

Me?

1. Testimonials from well known public figures.
  2. Content and look implies I/we can be trusted.
  3. Easy to find phone number, email and requestAquote feature
  4. Kick ass blog loaded with real valuable information.
  5. Local pictures.

lets here what you KNOW what works for you, not just what your SO tells you looks pretty.

Kipp

Name
kip
I would build the site on Wordpress

Page titles need to be written correctly

Don't use the same cookie cutter pictures as everyone else

Customer testimonials on your home page

Well written unique content

Do not keyword stuff

Target on 2-3 keywords per page

Create a google + page 100% complete and compliant

Utilize forum blogs like Mike has here to write blogs with contextual links to relevant pages on website.

Always be adding new fresh unique content to website

Integrate and us Facebook, twitter, and RSS

Create 20-30 citations per month

Create 10-15 good do follow blog back links per month

Create a YouTube channel and create and optimize YouTube videos

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Well the most important thing about any site, can it be found? Even a crappy site that gets found is better than a fancy one nobody sees. If 300 a month is a lot to him, he better start learning some net stuff, cuz he's going to have to do it himself. If he's got 3600 cash, he could have a kickbutt site.

I'd say #2 and #3 from the list are most important. I'd also say something on the site about his family/wife, our says, "Cooper's
Is owned by Jerry Cooper and my wonderful wife Molly".

I'd say at least 10% of the women who call notice this one
sentence, and comment about it. No lie... Really, if the wife helps in any way, tell them!

Reactions: Hoody and Mikey P

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
The code has to be written so google can easily find it, this is where guys like fred come in.

I have had 8 different sites and who originally set it up had everything to do with success or failure.1 Sitezilla could never get it onto the first page even though it had 100 pages... and other 5 page sites rank right away.Be careful of who you hire or work with.

Reactions: Mikey P

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Don't ask for reviews and link to your places/google+/yelp page with anchor text that looks anything like you're asking for one. However "View our online(google, yelp) testimonials" seems to be acceptable. Reviews are suppose to be 'naturally' given, but any marketing or literature you leave with your customers - I would suggest you take the time to create a simple tutorial for those not so computer savvy.

Winter is coming and if things typically slow down for you, it'd be a great time to write content for blogs, spiff up your content on your site, and do the citation work. You could do one citation a day, and make great head way.

If your site isn't ranking well yet, think of ways to drive your current customers to it with good call to actions.

Something many people miss the boat on is considering having a MOBILE site. With tablets, and smartphones become more popular, more and more people are searching the web via these media devices as they're starting to replace desktop and laptops as they advance.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
A citation may also be referred to as a directory listing. The purpose of the directory is the categorize your company information and website into a niche within the directory. Not all directories have a carpet cleaning category, but a more broad category like Cleaning Service, Home Cleaning, Home Improvement. When you're entering information for these directories you want to make sure to include the same information through out each directory you enter, company name, address, phone number, site address, description. Common directories are - Yahoo, Yelp, Manta, Google, Bing, Yellowpages, and many more. Again if possible be sure to search through all the available categories and look for carpet cleaning. Some of the directories allow you to choose more than one category(up to 5) so if you provide other services include those, and select those categories as well. Sometimes they're hidden, and some of the bigger directories are more complicated to find your niche service/categories.

I think Fred has mentioned this but the real purpose of search engines is not to advertise(unless you're purchasing ad space from them) but to simply index content. These directories are a way for the search engines to help understand what your company/site is about. When you submit your information to these directories you're helping them do this, and your site gets a back link underneath your niche category giving you a relative one-way back link. The more you can submit to underneath your niche categories the more weight your site will be given when the keywords you're going for are searched. This isn't a silver bullet to rank well, but one of the things that can be done. Having a broad link profile is important so your links aren't coming from the same place.

You can purchase this service from SEO professionals, but be careful what you're purchasing. Not all directories are created equal.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
A citation may also be referred to as a directory listing. The purpose of the directory is the categorize your company information and website into a niche within the directory. Not all directories have a carpet cleaning category, but a more broad category like Cleaning Service, Home Cleaning, Home Improvement. When you're entering information for these directories you want to make sure to include the same information through out each directory you enter, company name, address, phone number, site address, description. Common directories are - Yahoo, Yelp, Manta, Google, Bing, Yellowpages, and many more. Again if possible be sure to search through all the available categories and look for carpet cleaning. Some of the directories allow you to choose more than one category(up to 5) so if you provide other services include those, and select those categories as well. Sometimes they're hidden, and some of the bigger directories are more complicated to find your niche service/categories.

I think Fred has mentioned this but the real purpose of search engines is not to advertise(unless you're purchasing ad space from them) but to simply index content. These directories are a way for the search engines to help understand what your company/site is about. When you submit your information to these directories you're helping them do this, and your site gets a back link underneath your niche category giving you a relative one-way back link. The more you can submit to underneath your niche categories the more weight your site will be given when the keywords you're going for are searched. This isn't a silver bullet to rank well, but one of the things that can be done. Having a broad link profile is important so your links aren't coming from the same place.

You can purchase this service from SEO professionals, but be careful what you're purchasing. Not all directories are created equal.

I posted the top 50 in the group section, can post more if anyone has interest.

Basically a citation is Name, Address,Phone number and website

You also can create citations by putting that info in your MB signature, blog or even in description box of a youtube video and many others.
Thanks DMreed.

This is more for google places then organic listing, is my understanding.

Reactions: Derek

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I posted the top 50 in the group section, can post more if anyone has interest.

Basically a citation is Name, Address,Phone number and website

You also can create citations by putting that info in your MB signature, blog or even in description box of a youtube video and many others.
Thanks DMreed.

This is more for google places then organic listing, is my understanding.

That is my understanding as well as they compare your directory information with your places and google + information. Which is why being accurate across the board when entering is important. I still feel there is 'some' weight with the backlinks given from directories for organic, because of page rank with the more popular directories. But lack of content plays a factor. Organic ranking is a whole other monster in itself, but showing up well in the places/plus sections, organically at or near top, and even an ad on the search results page increases your chance to be clicked on significantly.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I like the idea of blowing up a customer testimonial and putting it in quotes " "

Also a stand out contact us form at top.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom