Weird Designs

Brian H

Name
Brian H
Many, many years ago I was training a guy and he had a seizure when cleaning a funky patterned rug. We had just finished applying Teflon to a part of the carpet and that odor combined with the pattern of the carpet put him into a grand mal seizure. He fell to the floor, locked onto the wand. I waited for it to pass and afterwards he had no recollection of the event.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The only problem with calling 911 is they may pick up the wrong guy.

I'd have surely passed our after soiling myself and the technician would come out of it just in time to show the EMT's where I was laying. :eekk:

;)

Reactions: KevinL

hogjowl

Idiot™
Years ago, when I was in college, I was sitting in the classroom and a guy sitting right next to me started having a grand mal seizure. My old medic training kicked in and I took charge. I told the professor to dial 911 and then proceeded to deal with the situation until the calvary arrived.

While I technically did the right thing, and probably would do the same thing again today, I have always wished I could have put him in an adjoining room and stayed with him until it passed. He was so embarrassed by the situation that he left school and I never saw him again.

The stigma of seizures is a cruel part of the condition, and most of the time no actual physical harm comes as a result of a seizure.

And the underlying cause of it can't be dealt with immediately, so there's no real pressing hurry for treatment unless their airway is compromised.

Of course, in today's hyper-charged legal environment, you don't dare do anything less than dual 911.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
good Samaritan laws here in Texas will protect you if you are trying to do the right thing.

But this varies state to state.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I hear you, but my understanding of the Good Sam law Is that it is applied in relation to your knowledge and training. It's not a carte blanche blanket protective shield.

I think it's like incorporating your business. Many people think it completely protects them from personal liability, when in fact there are multiple ways that an attorney can pierce the corporate veil.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I get nauseous just looking at some of this stuff. I dunno about cleaning it.

http://www.egecarpets.com/special-design/reference-photos/reference-photoes.aspx

Well at least these European carpet manufacturers are doing some CREATIVE thinking! They're doing some design work. Unlike the STALE state of affairs in the US. Dalton is asleep at the wheel - while the entire carpet industry is on a free-fall downward. From the mills to the CRI - they're NOT RESPONDING to modern flooring design trends. Unfortunately for them and for us, most of the new designs for flooring do not include carpet (or not much carpet). Maybe, just maybe, if the good ol' boys in Dalton would pay attention, something new and interesting might become available from their mills. Then maybe, just maybe designers would choose to install carpet in their new buildings and remodels. But judging from what I see in Dalton, the good ol' boys are not about to change their course any time soon.

Reactions: JS41035

hogjowl

Idiot™
I agree, I guess. I have no inside knowledge of the goings on in Dalton, but judging from the products being produced there, I'd have to agree with what you're saying. I am really depressed over what I see as a general lack of clarity and focus regarding production of quality goods by the carpet mills.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Most of the newer homes being built here have carpet in their bedrooms and basement. The rest are covered with hard surfaces with wood being the majority of that.

hogjowl

Idiot™
It all goes in cycles.

If the carpet industry was serious, they'd jump start off that Swedish carpet study and promote the indoor air quality benefits of carpets.

Reactions: KevinL

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think they just go with the flow and sell what people want. Yes, it makes more sense that if you have allergies and asthma you want to control the dust in your home. However with hard surfaces that same dust that could be filtered by carpets is now being filtered by you. Carpets work better, just vacuum regularly with a HEPA rated vacuum.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea well, I'd like Lockhart to give me that blue Zipper FREE but you see how far I've gotten with that. :cool:

Hard surfaces need maintenance too. Even more so or you will inhale the very pollutants you're trying to avoid.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Walked into a brand new Starbucks in Orlando the other day. What type of flooring did it have? Cool carpet like we saw at the top of this thread? Do you think there was even a carpet section of the store? You all know the answer. Yet Starbucks used to have at least a section of carpet in their stores. Rather this new and very stylish Starbucks had a stained and polished concrete floor that showed the color-matched aggregate of the concrete. It was sharp looking! No carpet though. And the same can be said about the lion's share of modern businesses and new homes too.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
X2

Your a pretty cool cat to just be there "for it to pass".

I would of been on that toll free 911 with the quickness.
My brother was epileptic but only when he slept. We shared a bedroom, so I have witnessed hundreds of grand mal seizures. Aside from making sure they aren't coming in contact with anything that could injure them, there really is nothing you can do except to let it run it's course.

Reactions: dealtimeman
Back
Top Bottom