Weird problem....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Was setting up for some hall ways tonight, ran out about 250 foot hose, started up the Genny, let her warm up. A loose hose from the hose reel had landed on the belts, and unknown to me, was grinding away at the 2 1/2 incher. After smelling a plastic smell, I realized that the hose was laying on the belts. Well, I connected the hoses, ramped up the TM, and when I plugged off the open vac port, the belts started sqealin' at about 12-13 inches. I think the belt grindings had coated the belts and pulleys, causing the belts to slip. Now I gotta spend the night tightening the belts and cleaning them up.

Bummer.....

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
So, squealing isn't normal. I would figure after a few tightenings they would stay tight, but NO!, they don't.

T

The Magician

Robert get some new belts and replace them when u get time. Don't break them on a job.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Fixed it! Anyone who has a Genesis....side mounted.....knows what a PITA it is to get to the last blower adjustment bolt. You gotta be a contortionist to slide between the machine and the side of the van. (Good thing I lost 30 lbs over the Summer.) It really only takes 'bout 1/2 hour if you don't count how many times you gotta jump out of the van and get in the front seat to turn the blower adjusting bolt. It just came on so suddenly. The belts are in good shape. I think it had alot to do with the hose that got ground down by the APO pulley. There was blue dust covering the belts and pulleys.

Now, with this big Midwest storm, there will probably be water jobs tomorrow.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Good luck getting parts at all.

Although I think Olson found someone to make some heat exchangers. :mrgreen:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
Good luck getting parts at all.

Although I think Olson found someone to make some heat exchangers. :mrgreen:
Fortunatly, I bought a spare Genesis-complete-so I have a lot of spare parts. Johns Heat Exchange in Florida can make a decent HX.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Doug Cox said:
Good luck changing the belts on a Genesis when it is hot.

Yep, Doug...thats why I shut it down and took it home. Too long to cool down for on the job change. And yes it's a bitch to change out for new belts....you just can't get enough slack between the engine and blower. And you gotta slide that first of 3 belts over 3 pulleys to get it seated.When you move the blower, it pulls the complete HX system with it. If you have older and rusty connectors between the blower and HX stuff, it could cause a crack or break apart.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom