Weird stains from Plastic legs

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Got a call to look at some stains in new carpet (installed June 1) left from 2 kids beds with black plastic button type legs. No metal screws or metal present. The entire leg bottom and about 1 to 2 inches up is the same black plastic. New beds went in the same time of install. Carpet is a thick creme colored nylon Stain Master.

Appears that the stains are from some type of chemical reaction (off gassing) of the legs. Customer thought it was rust marks from humidity. She put folded up white paper towels under the legs 2 weeks ago. I noticed that the legs also stained the paper towel. Stains are yellow in nature with a bit of orange.

Tried to remove stains, started with alkaline extractor (customer had used some Nylac or Woolite carpet stain on spots) Made sure her items were nuetralized. Tried a rust remover even though I was sure it was not rust, tried Stain Zone and heat iron, No luck, then Red Zone and heat transfer, no luck. Applied Stain Zone to the stains and will check on Monday. I am sure this is a permant chemical burn type stain, but wondering if anyone else has come across this type of situation from plastic legs causing a stain. I am thinking there was a problem in the process when these legs were made. It is 2 beds that did the same thing.

Thanks,

Mark Saiger
Saiger's Steam Clean, LLC
Grand Rapids, MN
www.saigers.com

Ron K

Never heard of that but a patch repair may be your best bet. I would maybe call a local carpet inspector to se if they can do any testing or research the problem.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm sure there are going to be a lot of people involved....furniture store, their inspector, carpet store and their inspector.....and the list can get bigger.

Just really weird and something I have never seen. When I saw what those legs did to the paper towel in just 2 weeks, I am really suspect it is the plastic. I have not heard of anyone else experiencing this, but thought I would check in on the boards and also post in case anyone else sees it or hears about it.

Mark Saiger

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Someone posted years ago about this problem and having witnessed it on my own knew the explanation to tell the customer right away for my liability.

Chem reaction no known cure.

Upon arrival at customer's home ask for any known issues they would like you to see before starting your cleaning. Usually they will point out this problem. But as you know there are some sneaky snakes out there waiting to prey on us CC. So if you didn't see them at first glance as soon as you move the furniture STOP what ever you are doing and SHOW the customer before it's YOUR problem.

Write it down on your invoice to document.

Now back to your scheduled programming.

John Watson

If it is just around the 4 bedlegs, pull and retuft fibers, get donor fibers from around baseboard. put costers under legs. Still don't know what or why but solved problem cost efficiently...

PS if then the mill or client wants to persue let them pay the lab and your not at risk or held up in the middle. You can give them the stained fibers removed.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
This is definately Not my problem or something I started and they all know that. I was called by all parties involved to see if stain could be removed (thankfully). I am finding out there have been other situations like this and furuniture manufacturer has accepted responsibility. I think new replacement carpet will be on way

Thanks all!

Mark Saiger

leesenter

I have seen it before but it was black plastic legs from a step climber rubbing off on the carpet.
All chemicals failed.
Chalk worked.

Name
Lee Stockwell
What is the digit inside the recycle triangle on the piece?

Anything is removable if you can identify it. Otherwise you would have found the holy grail for carpet dye.

G

Gnu

its a cheap oil based solvent used to keep the plastic plyable and soft. its so soft it transfers into the carpet.

gary mackay

I almost always see it on anything with a modern plastic wheel. The normal ones I see are purple stains from a black or dark brown wheel & gave up a long time ago trying to remove. If I don't see a stain I make sure to tab the wheels before I leave. I think it's just the import product because even the new furniture with the same colored plastic button under the legs do the same exact thing.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
we tab all plastics now because of the problem. i,ve seen black plastic wheels leave permanent marks.

gene

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
You're not talking about possible rust stains from the screws holding the plastic legs on? I've seen that at times.

-JB-

Name
JB
Must be a regional issue, haint seen it up here yet, any a you all noreasters seen it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom