Welding a Ti-Wand?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
One of my Ti-wands has developed stress cracks (becoming holes) one on each corner where the value mount attaches to the tube. Took it to Exhaust Pro today and they welded it. Actually looked ok and usable however, tonight front two welds broke loose. So who should I look for to weld it correctly? Would an oxyacetylene weld be best, or a tig weld. I am really not familiar with the different welding types and what style is best for Titanium, but I would like to take the best shot at getting it fixed correctly before it is fooked up so much it can't be repaired.

Name
Jesse
I had the same problem on one of ours. The repair lasted like 6 months then failed. The welder said it was to thin so he made a sleeve for it and welded the brackets to the sleeve. I

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Titanium should be TIG welded, and it MUST have a gas backing (fill the inside of the wand with the inert gas, so both sides of the weld have no air contact) or you will end up with a bad weld. A welding shop that does aerospace work will have the expertise to do ti.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
A welding shop that does aerospace work will have the expertise to do ti.

Not likely to find that in central Kentucky.

John Watson

Tig using a titanium filler rod should do the trick. Any good welder who can handle TIG properly should be able to repair the checks, like glass or cast iron, one sometimes has to drill a hole at the end of the crack to stop it from continuing on,

woodsey

A good weld shop that does TIG will know how to repair it. As stated above The inside tube MUST be flushed with argon, not just filled but flushed to get all the O2 out of it or the backside will burn and ruin the weld where it will fail soon.Close up both ends where the argon cannot get out. Dry up all moisture as well. The front side must be CLEANED of all contaminants. Use the right filler metal and go slow to build up the weld or as stated above use a doubler plate. Will be alot less than a new TI wand. Good luck Woodsey

John Olson

Name
John Olson
DO NOT have anyone fix this. The problem is the angle. The Valve handle should touch the tube and for some reason there was a run of them that didn't. This is why they are breaking. Call the Prochem Dealer you bought the wand from and have them send it back to get fixed. Do not have ANYONE except Prochem or PMF fix it or it will just happen again. If you need to call me. Matter of fact Billy I am calling you now and anyone else that has this issue your welcome to call me as well but first thing is you need to have the person whom you bought it from take care of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom