Well Ron n' Mikey, did my first "Salsilito" tile...

-JB-

Name
JB
Sorry I mean Santillo! LOL!

get-attachmentaspx.jpg

Just a simple cleaning.

"Hey everybody, look at me! I'm a Santillo floor expert!"

Yeah, it could use refinishing, maybe next time, just trying to get the customer comfortable with us at this point seeing when I first went in to quote it, Ron told me how, "easy money" it was then proceeded to go on for TWENTY MINUTES! :shock: Telling me how "easy" it was to do! Ivebeensold

Mikey basically said, "First thing to do is remove all the baseboards, then ya need to tape up all the appliances, man what a pain in the a$$ this stuff is, get ready for a nightmare!" :|

So I quoted her $$$$ for the "works", she had a hard time believing it needed all that, and so did I.

Later when I left, in all likelihood losing a nice cleaning job at the least, I call Ron back, "Hey Ron,, why cant I just do a good cleaning on it??!"

"oh ya can, but the other is the way it should be done"

problem is, for me anyway she just wanted a simple "cleaning", NOT a dog and pony show. (and no, it was most definitely NOT a issue about cost, this house is about 12,000 sq ft.) She just wanted a simple cleaning, perhaps she didn't know there was any other options.

I called her back, explained I was certain I could just clean it for her for $$, and explained why and how; she was understandably a little apprehensive.

Once she saw that the tile wasn't in fact, melting, disintegrating or otherwise being ruined by a simple yet thorough cleaning, she was thrilled.

Yes, she/I did see, much like any soft finish hard floor, that some of the finish had worn thus causing the tile to lose some of it's sheen, but NOW she is confident enough in our services that she will likely have us do the "dog n pony" refinishing show next summer. :mrgreen:

Wait one doggone minute! that means we get $$ & $$$$, hmmmm.

I did get some respect from her as I was THE ONLY one, (thanks to Mikey & Ron) who ever knew what the tile was, her installers had no idea, told her it was a expensive European tile... he thinks several other people told her it was "stone".

Understand, Santillo tile is NOT very common in the north east.

I don't really know what the point of this post was Ivebeensold

I think maybe I'm just glad I was able to satisfy the customer, and build her/my confidence in this type of work, (did I mention I HATE hard surface work?)

Or maybe it was...

sometimes the best advice is often the type you don't take ....

another story on that later...

C

cucu

now you can be a snowbird and go to ft lauderdale and clean that stuff all day long...i seen tons of it when i lived there....

your still a hack....

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Saltillo tile, known as Mexican tile around me, was popular 20+ plus years ago here. Very popular, the fad didn't last long, and I seldom see it very often any more.

Name
Ron lippold
i just did one this week it was 600 sq ft of marble and two tables i told her if she did not like it she did not have to pay..... well she handed me 3000 and was thrilled. Jb the money is in the hard floors....... shiteatinggrin

JDS87

Ron Lippold said:
3107dcd8.jpg

95e2874d.jpg

the big money :lol: 8) :shock: shiteatinggrin

You did an awesome job on the Saltillo tile.
Please explain the process and what chemicals you used.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom