What are some of your upholstery tricks?

Mikey P

Administrator
I've grown fond of using a $2.99 Home Depot Grout Sponge for whipping up shampoo. I love the white pad on the tops side for getting aggressive in a gentle way.

20131204_103203_zps70e3b13d.jpg

We always have a roll of Home Depot pianter's plastic on board as well. Safer than a customers bed sheet to prop damp cushions on and cheap enough to leave behind. $24.00 for a 12 x 400 foot roll
Great for leaving under rugs that you hacked on site as well.

20131204_103704_zps2917bccb.jpg

Thirdly a helper to rinse the the fabric I just shampoo'd is a great way to make $250 an hour and a $50 tip today because this was her very first time she had any upholstery cleaned and was so impressed with our show and gadgets. I was thinking this would have been a great job to have the little EDIC along for..

20131204_103713_zps621ff2b4.jpg

Mikey P

Administrator
low and behold.... just booked a carpet job that is so far way from parking (assisted care facility) that IM forced to bonnet clean it.. one more nod to getting that EDIC..

Name
George Valliant
I normally put about 40 + hours per month on my ninja.

Doing upholstery with a vortex is way overkill. That's why I got fast with a glided stair tool for most upholstery.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Thanks for the tip on the painters plastic big fella. :winky:

I do a lot of upholstery, usually with my Makita variable speed polisher and bonnets, followed up with the rinse extract.

For several years I have been using mattress covers that I get for free from the St Vincent De Paul Society.

I clean rugs and upholstery for them for free so they can on-sell the goods in a clean condition.

The plastic seems like a damn good idea.

I think my most valuable item is a folding/height adjustable table.

This is a blow-molded top that when opened is about four foot long, so a chaise cushion fits on it nicely.

The legs have three height adjustments, second level is good for me.

I'll be using it tomorrow so will posts a pic of it then.

Reason I like it so much is because it saves my back and looks so much better than cleaning cushions on Madam's sofa. :icon_razz: :lol:

:yoda:

Last edited by a moderator:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
My PMF tool is continous flow because the trigger was removed and the water flow is adjusted to stop at the vacuum opening for little to no overspray:25hosecartporty110_zpse22bffb8.jpg

That keeps the water hot whether I'm hooked to the TM or the custy's faucet:25hosecartporty065_zps4c246242.jpg

I take the vac hose off and fill two five gallon pails with the running uph tool, one for foaming on with a hand bonnet and one for rinsing/cleaning the bonnet. On the vac hose I put a vacuum cuff to prevac then extract the misted prespray that has been scrubbed on with the foamy hand bonnet:beachandworkaugustandseptember077_zpsfa243492.jpg

Then I put the vac hose back on the PMF to rinse the fabric:picturesforwebsitefeb024_zps1d441ad8.jpg

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Then I put the vac hose back on the PMF to rinse the fabric:picturesforwebsitefeb024_zps1d441ad8.jpg

O.K. Art, now fess up. Do you wet clean over the buttons of that chair?

Mike, how come you did not get Art to give a class about efficiency. He always have great ideas. I want a ride along with Art.

And dressing.
Hell, after the first half hour I look like something the dog just dragged in :winky:

A white shirt!
For heavens sake, Art, how do you do it? By the time I've fastened the seat belt it ain't white any more.
What's the secret?

Last edited:

GeeeAus

Supportive Member
Name
Grant Baverstock
I have been a little busy and I wanted to contribute something as I have a few little things I do that work well and may help somebody out.

Get one of these.

IMG_3342-Version2_zps557b0f21.jpg

It's a mag wheel cleaning brush, very soft and has bristles all the way around its' circumference. So you can use it at any angle, full 360 degree agitation.

The next thing you need is good chems. Not 1 bottle of something, but a good solid suite of chems you can use to solve many different problems.

IMG_2942_zpsc381a858.jpg
IMG_2941_zps5f472a0e.jpg

with lots of chemical treaters you always have the right thing to use and can avoid the situation where you're trying to use something that is ill suited or a compromise.

Towels.......... Lots and LOTS of white cotton towels. I cannot stress enough how much hand towelling I do on my upholstery work. It just rips soil out and rubs treaters in. A Mag wheel brush, good encapsulating pre-spray or dry foam cleaner, solvent spotter and bucket full of towels should be right up there with your extractor, hoses and water.

With these simple manual tools you can make even the nastiest pieces of furniture look almost new in a good number of instances.

This is an example of two such jobs I've done over the past few months.

IMG_3738_zps63fc6b6c.jpg
IMG_3739_zps65dd525b.jpg
IMG_3740_zpsfacf72d7.jpg
IMG_3741_zps39a78f66.jpg
IMG_3742_zpseff4bc2f.jpg
IMG_3743_zps1ab7998b.jpg
IMG_3744_zps391622ef.jpg
IMG_3745_zps3bf3b935.jpg

Now it has been sprayed with Aussie Encappa, a locallly made encapsulating multipurpose fabric cleaner. It can be used as stand alone encap cleaner for carpet or upholstery or as a pre-spray for extraction. I have solvent spotted the pice and sprayed it generously with the Aussie Encappa. Scrubbed it well with the mag wheel brush and towelled it extensively. Out of the frame there is a pile of 12 cotton towels and they are just black with soil.

IMG_3749_zps995f2648.jpg

Now after hot water extraction

IMG_3752_zpsfc788b56.jpg
IMG_3753_zps41b63512.jpg
IMG_3755_zpse3370f48.jpg
IMG_3758_zps178dda8f.jpg
IMG_3759_zps552b061b.jpg
IMG_3760_zps1c5d7455.jpg
IMG_3775_zps694faf18.jpg

Remember to leave your customer their free gift on the piece to marry together their surprise of the result with the bonus of a freebie.

IMG_3777_zpscd22d6ef.jpg

Same story here, it's just this one is a bar stool from a tyre fitters garage. In Australia we have a national franchise of tyre and wheel garages called "Beaurepairs". Their corporate colours are blue and this RUDE shade of orange. I was in my local garage getting some tyres. The guys andI were negotiating a package deal for him to rotate and ballance my wife's vehicle's wheels and to to some camber and castor adjustments to the front end.

He said how much he wanted, I said "what about I clean these stools up for you, they look really sad and that takes away from your customer greeting area's appearance a lot?"

He said "IF you can clean them, and actually make them look good, we can just exchange services".

Didn't bat an eyelid, just loaded up 4 stools and took them home overnight. Using the same chemicals and process as before this is what happened.

After vacuuming they looked like this......

IMG_3527_zps450025b4.jpg

Some solvent spotting, pe-spray, extensive towelling and extraction they came out like this.

IMG_3535_zpsf1ab163b.jpg

And after some post extraction towelling they finally arrived back at the shop like this.

IMG_3537_zpsf0f63576.jpg

Be premium, don't cut corners, don't rely on the machine to do what takes a human hand and eye, and brain and patience and skill. And charge accordingly, you'll be famous.

Grant

Name
Steve Lawrence
I like the "leave-behind" plastic for drying cushions. We put butcher paper on the furniture decks and teepee the cushions there or rip off pieces of the paper to leave any other cushions on.

That table is pretty cool, too. We made ours 25 years ago and they still serve us well.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I had a similar microfiber stuffed chairs (2 pairs actually), it was red, and just trashed...tool of choice prior to extracting w/ SS uph tool was my makita 9227c w/ a beige (fiber pad) soaked into solution, twisted it just slightly to it doesn't splash everywhere, towel after hwe, and fans. It looked very similar to the red bar stool pics posted above (great work above btw).

Name
Steve Lawrence
I guess our best upholstery "trick" is to have a Von Schrader dry foam furniture cleaning machine for moisture sensitive fabrics. We can really bust out a lot of cleaning with one man on the foam brush and the other vacuuming. Dries fast, no shrinkage or texture change--spectacular results on many fabrics "HWE only guys" won't touch.

Reactions: Shorty and Mardie

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I've found that, once I've cleaned a cotton/linen with sponge, you can often remove the browning by carefully brushing with a fine wire pet grooming brush.:razz:

PS: Prebrushing and vacuuming sometimes makes even cruddy fabric look so good the customer thinks you're done.

Reactions: Shorty

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Use old school methods for old school fabrics.

If its a natural fiber, use neutral detergents and don't be afraid to shampoo with a horse hair brush, sea sponge or hand bonnet. Terry towel and dry.

Many times you'll get much better results than HWE that can disturb colors (always pretest with your cleaning solution), have trouble drying and possibly brown out.

If its a blend treat it as natural too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wing It

Supportive Member
Name
John Wingfield
On some pieces of furniture you can unscrew the leg and take a fiber sample from there to burn test if there are no cushions.
Do you guys always rinse out fine fabric shampoos used on natural upholstery or is toweling/vacuuming the fabric enough?
How often do you experience problems boosting neutral uphol. cleaners or fine fabric shampoos with oxygen safe bleaches like boost all or oxy kick? I have found them and citrus solvents to be great on synthetics, but scared to try on natural fibers.
I understand how color transfer tests can be done on the spot, but how do you determine if something is prone to browning or shrinking?

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I don't think I have any tricks per say to share. My most recent discovery has been the Hydo-Kinetic tool which is probably my new best friend.
Shaved 40% off my time cleaning time anything from an automan to a sectional. My go-to pre-spray is Magic Wand Trashed mixed with
Chemspec Heavy Duty Soil Lifter. Two other gizmos I like are the Rotobrush I got from Hescoinc.com and a pad driver I got from Excellent Supply.

http://www.excellent-supply.com/ACCESSORIES_c_62.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom