What clutch will work in my machine

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Do you have a NAPA auto parts store in your area. Maybe they could help you out.
Where's bob or shawn? still sleeping?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Napa Part #948435 for a Warner.

I'm not sure of the torque req of your application. I'd prefer a Pitts with maybe 350-400 ft#, not sure if your NAPA would have them on the shelf.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Yes the clutches are similar, and made by the same manufacturers. However, clutches of this type come in a myriad of configurations. Diameter, belt width, belt type(v & poly-v), number of grooves, offset, bore diameter, bore type (tapered or straight).

Automotive A/C compressors generally use single groove or poly-v. The single groove ones are often fractional HP belts(more narrow than the A section belts used on TM units). The A/C compressors almost always use tapered bores.

TM units use pumps that have straight shafts, not tapered. CAT pumps use metric bores, i.e. 19 mm. Hypro pumps use fractional inch straight shafts. All pumps have a unique mounting, usually designed for one model number of mounting plate.

The bottom line is this. A typical Auto Parts store is going to stock clutches that fit automotive A/C units, and not the particular models that are going to fit your pump.

However, Auto Parts stores often buy their clutches from distributors of clutches that carry entire lines of those clutches. manufacturers, such as Ogura, make all manner of clutches, for industrial applications, as well as A/C units. But, be also aware that many of these clutches get private labeled before hitting distribution, and therefore the part numbers grow rather unwieldy for simple crossover.

This means that some auto parts stores are going to be able to order your clutch, or one that fits. it entirely depends on whether the store management is interested in such sales. You may find that all the guy behind the counter only wants to know is "what kind of car?". if so, he isn't going to be much help.

NAPA stores are renown for helping people in your situation. However, whether they are faster/cheaper varies wildly.

The bottom line is that TM Distributors compete for such business, and hopefully offer the best balance of service/availability/price, for the TM owner.

In my particular position, and experience, I always dealt directly with clutch manufacturers for purchasing, and never had to scrounge at the Auto Parts store level. So someone like Bob Vawter may be of greater help with part numbers for private labeled equivalents.

Good luck.

Kelly

If its a tapered shaft it is an ac clutch from a york or Tecumseh compressor. This type of compressor was used on mostly chryslers in the late 70s early 80s. This kind of clutch can be ordered with either the v belt or the serpentine style groves. A reputable auto parts dealer usually will have a book which details pictures of different kinds of clutches. Frank edwards is a good place to start looking. You can also try ogura. good luck on your hunt

Name
Jesse
I found a local cc distributor open on sat, they had a few Pitt's off the self that just happen to fit.

Went to install it and found out it's the shaft bearings that caused the failure. :(

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
must be something in the air............lost mine today and come to find out the shaft bearing on the clutch let loose and it walked so much it took out part of the magnet and I will be dead in the water until I get one overnighted on Monday and Installed on Tuesday..............................

Greenie

Shaft clutch (CDS) pump clutch (cat pump), sounds like we're talking two different animals here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom