what constitutes being a hack?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I am tired of the word hack getting thrown around, what exactly is the text book defanition of a hack? I would like everyone to keep in mind that we have all had jobs were we were not batting a thousand or didnt do our best work.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
As used here, it means someone that lacks the technical training to perform a certain service but takes the job anyway, hoping to learn at the customer's expense. In most derogatory form it describes someone that doesn't have technical training, will never get that training, knows they're likely to scrwew things up, and hopes they can BS the customer enough to get paid.

As an example, there was a post asking how to clean Oriental rugs. The rugs were large and challenging and the advice here was to take them to a rug cleaning plant but the cleaner did them in his garage anyway, choosing whatever advice seemed to sound good. After cleaning, he posted questions about how to remove dyebleed, didn't remove the dyebleed, delivered the rugs to the elderly customer and bragged that he got away with it because her eyesight was bad.

That's a hack.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Actually, the term is alive and evolving. The only way to keep up with it's current meaning is to watch and see how Mikey is posting at any given moment.

You can also see the term instantly mirrored in Bob Fosters subsequent posts.

Scott Rogers

hogjowl said:
Actually, the term is alive and evolving. The only way to keep up with it's current meaning is to watch and see how Mikey is posting at any given moment.

LMAO

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The word "hack" is usually give to someone who is more concerned with making money than doing the best cleaning job in the world. Most insults stem from jealousy and are thrown around willy nilly by the self conscious.

I will agree that someone totally screwing over a customer and doing a bad enough job that actually causes damage or even small problems to their property warrant's the label "hack"...but it is just used too loosely in my opinion. Granted, it's usually used just to piss the other person off...and I'm OK with that. :mrgreen:

But I refuse to call someone a "Hack" because they don't vacuum or groom or use corner guards while cleaning even though they make an extremely happy customer out of the home owner.

You don't have to be the best cleaner in the world to be the best cleaner in the world.

This has been a moment with Brian. :wink:

Ryan

A hack is someone who dosn't plan on the customer on being a repeat customer.

gary mackay

What if you cleaned the stairs & the majority of 3 pieces of upholstery with your wand because the customer wasn't home?

I must be a hack because I use my wand on stairs.

Here is the answer to your question. A hack is someone that looks for every way possible to avoid spending money on quality equipment such as buying 20 items to make a portable as close to a tm as possibe, puts their pocket before the customers best interests, never gets a referral, lacks proper training, soaks carpets etc. The list could go on forever.

A professional on the other hand makes things look so easy that everyone flocks to him/her for advice and guidance.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
danielc said:
I must be a hack because I use my wand on stairs.

Here is the answer to your question. A hack is someone that looks for every way possible to avoid spending money on quality equipment such as buying 20 items to make a portable as close to a tm as possibe, puts their pocket before the customers best interests, never gets a referral, lacks proper training, soaks carpets etc. The list could go on forever.

A professional on the other hand makes things look so easy that everyone flocks to him/her for advice and guidance.
Dan I can agree with you that a hack looks for an easy way out. I will disagree with you about the equipment . Some of the best cleaners I know have far from the best equipment. I think if you get the job done and it is quality work the equipment is small fries unless it looks so rigged that it is either a hazard or un professional looking. My thought is this, as professionals we need to have formal training. On the job training is great and good for real world scenarios but we can learn so much from formal training like iicrc courses. I am a certified master textile cleaner and even though carrying that title is not a silver bullet it has became one of my best investments . So I think in short maybe we should strive to be a master of our trade before we focus on other companies short comings.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Scott Rogers said:
hogjowl said:

LMAO

I 2nd the LMAO

oh and mikey has said he uses his wand on stairs....

so it must not be HACKISH Iseeru Iseeru Iseeru

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
More often a hack is someone that does have the training but chooses to clean in an unethical way. What is unethical?
This is how I defined it on my website:

Unfortunately there are some cleaners that have business practices that are not professional. A couple of terms used to describe these unprofessional practices are Bait and Switch and Splash and Dash. The Bait is a low price, usually $39 for 2 Rooms and a Hall, or $70 for 5 Rooms and a Hall. Once in the home there is heavy pressure to Switch to a more expensive cleaning method and up-sell on added services or applications (such as Protector, deodorants, sanitizers etc.). Then, sometimes even if you do agree to the more expensive cleaning and add-ons, they move so quickly they don't really clean anything; often spots return and the carpets are left wet for days. They are in and out of the house within a hour, hence the term Splash and Dash. I could add another part to that; they Splash and Dash with the Cash! These Are Unethical practices.

What is professional? It doesn't matter what trade is involved. A professional will come to the home, examine what needs to be done, give recommendations for appropriate services and additional applications, quote a total price BEFORE the work begins so that there are no surprises at the end of the job for either the cleaner or the client. Then the professional will provide the service they said they would. The consumer gets the result they expected and are quite happy to give money in exchange for that service. This is Ethical and Everyone is Happy!

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Hack

1. Any company more successful than your own

2. Any company that previously cleaned the carpet you are now cleaning

3. Any company either charging A) less than you or B) more than you

4. Any person that shampoos residential carpet (until you start doing it)

5. Any business that takes the risk to spend money on advertising that you are afraid to try.

Name
Lee Stockwell
rhino1 said:
Hack

1. Any company more successful than your own

2. Any company that previously cleaned the carpet you are now cleaning

3. Any company either charging A) less than you or B) more than you

4. Any person that shampoos residential carpet

5. Any business that takes the risk to spend money on advertising that you are afraid to try.

BINGO!!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
To me a hack is someone who is indifferent about the quality of work they perform. A hack is someone who does not seek out better methodology, equipment, chemicals and training. If you’re doing thinks exactly the way you did them a year ago, you are a hack. Also, if you are my local competitor you’re a HACK!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom