What did I unearth?

Had to extract a public library Sat 5pm until 3am, then Sunday 4pm until midnight. There were 80 chairs too. Three different rooms. In an office area, I hit something and "poof" a dust cloud erupted from my 18" Conquest. My wife says I should have been wearing a mask. I filled up the dust cup three times in about 6,000 sf. of pure dust, very little yarn. They have a problem keeping janitorial staff there and only clean twice a week. They asked if I'd be interested. I told them only if they increased it to 3 times a week or more, you just can't go that long. We'll see.
I have been wheezing, sneezing, dripping and hacking since I woke up Monday afternoon. I don't feel sick, it is allergies and they suck. I take a benadryl at bedtime and a Claratin when I get up. No relief. Never had it this bad, this long. Allergy season really hasn't started yet and I don't suffer like I am now.

I have a mailing list of about 4,000 people in my region. To get on it, you had to be over 60, earn over $165,000 and be head of household in a house worth at least $200,000. I purchased it from InfoUSA in early March and it worked really well with Passover/Spring cleaning, about 1% gave me jobs, so that's 40 jobs that earned about $100 net profit each. Yeah, I spent $2,000 to make $4,000 but now I have the bulk mail permit and the lists for a year. It is my intention of doing 4 mailings. Sending out another 4,000 ads in early May with an anti-allergy theme might be good?
Some can live with dirt. I know I can. If someone could make my allergies go away, I'd be happy to pay. Have you noticed allergies being severe this year or is it just me? Thanks.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Honestly, I would only put them at about 25% Jewish. My alderman is not one, but on my list. He is a retired architect and a Hindu. Amazing they would let a low life like me live just 3 blocks away from people like that. I just find it amazing that the allergies kicked in so hard so soon and I think I will turn my suffering into my next marketing angle.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
as soon as we received our 18" Conquest i replaced the dirt cup with a "high-filtration" paper bag...definitely worth it.

did i read it right: 18 hours to clean 80 chairs and 6k sq.ft.?

:eekk:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
sounds fast to me :stir: Good work to clean all that. I can believe the dust you get. Filled the canister a couple times yesterday myself.
$2000 is reasonable
What kind of porty are you running?

Last edited:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
thorough w/ a porty, that sounds about right. very good price.

w/ VLM i'd charge a quarter of that price because it would take a quarter of the time. but eh $ is $ and you made a good amount.

oh and no i ain't mocking you. i hope you read a lot here and maybe consider other ways/methods of doing things that might (or might not?) benefit your biz.

Last edited:
Sandia Sniper 12 80-3300-H (300 psi, dual 3 stage and heat) running double stacked
http://www.sandiaplastics.com/extractortwelve300.aspx
I am a Sandia dealer as well.

I don't believe with the dirt load there was any other way to do this. I actually did the kitchen/children's area twice. Both times putting 12 gallons through a 400 sf area, both times having "ink black" waste water, not brown, black. I am certain I could have done it a 3rd time. Since I am a porty hack, I do 4-5 dry strokes for every wet one. If I ever get it to a manageable level, I might bonnet clean. I bonnet clean the traffic lanes of two other public libraries quarterly. I do a LOT of library work because my wife is a librarian and was head of the county's library association two years ago and has been a board member probably for 5-6 years now. I know a LOT of librarians. Libraries have this typical "we have no money" attitude and then when things get really out of hand, they call someone like me to clean. Right now the person doing the daily cleaning comes 2x a week. I don't think that is enough. They pay them $50 a week for 4 hour's work. I think all they do is empty the trash and give the restrooms a fast going over.
The entry is VCT. I know it looks like it hasn't been mopped in a year. I took 10 minutes to give it a proper wet mopping so that it would not make my carpet work look bad. I honestly doubt they have vacuumed in years. There was a lot of dust. I found a dead Bissell that weighed less than the dirt from my dust cup. There was no sign of a mop or bucket in the janitor's closet. Just this dead vac. I have about 5 janitorial clients. Every one has a closet stocked with 2 buckets and mops, an upright vacuum, probably a Sanitaire SC-888 and all the other supplies needed to do work. I am also am about to become a Spartan Chemicals dealer. My theory is if you do it, why can't I make money still? Right now I mainly dealing with Simonize brand jan/san products which are not my preferred brand, but easy to sell at the prices they are.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
that's pretty dirty.

you've probably done this before, but since you have a low speed floor machine why not prescrub your prespray in quick with your rotary then follow that up with your HWE?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom