What do you need from a trade show to make it a no brainer?

Mikey P

Administrator
We have Connections coming up in Vegas in a few weeks. Not many here are attending..
We have this CFI chapter show in Vegas a few weeks later. The last CFI event drew about 40 members when it was a joint venture with CCINW, will this do better or worse or do they care?

cfi800_zps0d71f1f4.gif

Then we got Myteefest (in Vegas again) in January which from what I've been told will be an all or nothing event vendor wise. No one want to be the first to sign up...

A month after that we have MF in Santa Cruz..

Then we have Frisco Connections, IF Vegas goes well... Which will be another low turn out, most likely even worse than FLorida considering its shithole location.

and I'd be willing to bet that less than 100 of the 7800 members here will show up to any of these shows.

Why is that?

What would you need to be guaranteed to to take place for you to take the time off of work, pay for travel, rooms and incidentals for you to not miss a certain event?

In other words, please describe The World's Greatest Carpet Cleaning Convention...

Last edited:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For Vega$ i am looking at 16-20 hours in travel time between flying, checking in/out airports, delays etc. So its going to take a lot, now if it was held in NYC a 45 minute plane ride then every year.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
if it were in a alternating spot each year you would get a little better attendance..

as we spoke a few weeks ago..i would go to every one but i am VERY claustrophobic and DO NOT FLY.. not for fear of flying or crashing but simply because i freak out when locked in to anything with no option to get out..

i am routing trains to cali now to see what the best option is..

but id say the travel is the killer deal for everyone..

Mike Draper

Personally, I think all the positive options were there for Vegas mikefest. People still didn't show. I wonder if it comes down to BDCC's only having enough cash to spare maybe 1 vacation per year and they dont want to spend it on a carpet cleaning educational seminar? Folks may want to take family on their vacations and family really dont call that a vacation. Just my 2 cents.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i wouldn't goo to vegas because when i see vegas i think of lots of $$ and wasted expense..i very well may be wrong but i know vegas isnt cheap..i would surly spend my extra money in other places..

hogjowl

Idiot™
Excuses, excuses, excuses ... all in a thinly veiled attempt to hide the real fact that 99% of this industry is made up of small time operators who simply can't afford to spend the money to go to an event that requires long travel and lodging in an expensive spot like Vegas. I know I can't afford to do it, but I'm not too proud to admit it. No "I can't fly" excuses from me. (You pussies.)

Aside from that, the "feel" I get from the advertisements and attendies comments regarding large events like these is too corporate. Fake, slimy salesmen out to fake it and thus make it in our industry ... say anything to make the sale. Fake personalities from the old IICRC days crawling around the sales floor trying to impress each other while looking down on people like us.

I'd much rather attend a Mikey Fest or Summer Fest type deal where real, common, down to earth cleaners are running around in their shorts and T shirts, drinking beer and lying to each other. With the salesmen and Mfg's reps off to the side where they should be. Waiting for a drunk to stumble over and strike up a real conversation.

However, I'm still too broke to go to even an event like MF.

So, feel free to disregard everything I just said.

Mikey P

Administrator
you may be full of sheet, but you ain't broke, you're just too cheap/thrifty.

But you are correct about the slimey infomercial events and the 99% observations.

Next MF once again we will have real in the trench members here leading the discussions.

save your pennies now.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
MIke, I think the description of what a perfect convention will be like, also depends on what stage in their career people are.

Most veterans, I assume like me, have no interest in half assed classes. If I am going to a class I'd like it to be top notch and am more than willing to pay for it. So the classes that can be offered in convention type setting (nobody's fault, just not enough time) is of no attraction to me.

What is very valuable is meeting some good people, some of the discussions (round table style) with real cleaners and most of all the camaraderie. Also the displays and the hands on ability to try the latest products, machines and tools is definitely a big plus for me.

Add to the fact that most of us are usually busy running our business which will not work without us and that if I take the time off, I'd rather be with the family, makes it being local very important.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Talking about chewing gum.

I had a teacher in high school that had set jokes that he would repeat about 12 times a year.

Whenever he caught one of the girls chewing gum, and yes he only did with the girls.
A zeal of happiness will come to his eyes and he would ask:
"What's the difference between a girl chewing gum and a cow?"
To which of course we had no answer.
"The intelligent look in the cow's eyes." he would say triumphantly.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I hear you Ofer.

Tom King and I are working to make sure the classes this year won't come close to being half assed.
I hate half assed, I've always preferred full assed myself! :winky:

Seriously there has to be meat on the bone or there isn't much point to those big trade shows unless you're just going for the venue.

On the other hand Mikeyfest has always had a great mix of social activity yet classes that had value as well as valuable time with the vendors. :headbang:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ok.
Here is a class I want. And I am sure Steve may jump in.
Sorry Mike, it is a long name for a class, yet I know you are also somewhat in the same ship.

Being in a large metro area with a high cost of living yet tough competition. How does one retain employees and is able to pay them enough to keep them and stay profitable?

As I am pulling the little hair I still have left dealing with training an employee, just to have him leave because he just broke up with his girlfriend and can't afford the rent in the Bay Area.

Hopefully, that class would be offered this coming Mikey's fest.

P.S. When is it this year?

2nd P.S. Did Chavo actually attend any Mikey's fest?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks Mike.
Chavo actually left Kansas?
I'd be damned!

How was it for your Rich?
It's a big world out there, isn't it?
And have you recovered from that extreme venture/adventure yet? :winky:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Steve?

Tom King is the one who should comment, since he's paying his crew chief's $40,000 a year.

I'd take Tom or anybody that deals with that regularly. Be happy to learn.

Possibly more relevant to me will be people that are more like me and struggle both with retaining employees as well as trying to grow into a small multi van operation.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
These things are little more than a party get away for me. Like to look at tools and machine. But pretty much just get away R'n R time

and if I have to drop more than $7 or 8hunert....
I'd rather buy a new pistol

LTA

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
If you buy everything with a credit card like we do then trips like this are actually free marty...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Excellent point. Now you have me thinking.

Want a HK USP 40c ??
LNIB , German made (better than the ones made by the $12 an hour "parts assemblers" in NH)

Less than 50rnds thru it when I bought it.
I've put a couple/three hundred rnds thru it...runs flawless (as one would expect)
Matter of fact, it's the smoothest feeding auto I've ever owned ..almost seamless
6 mags , LEM trigger , night sights ..$575 (what I paid) plus shipping

Great pistol...I just never warmed up to it ....and it's gonna go.
I got a hankerin' for a S&W 10mm..I know wheres there's 1066 LNIB I can get for a fair price

..L.T.A.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I only go to the trade show in Vegas. I know that it's free to get in and that's about how you're treated once you're in. It might be free to get in but it isn't free to get there. I would go every year if I could get to play with the toys much like you get to at MF.

A more organized or sectionized (is that a word) trade show would be good too. If I am not in restoration I'd rather be able to skip entire rows. Plus the vnedors would know if you're on that row you're looking at low moisture equipment/chems because they are all down that row.

Small things I know but it/they would make a difference to me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom