What have we got here Kenny?

Mikey P

Administrator
silk.jpg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
The rug is a Persian Tabriz, and is a glorious rug. I can't tell from this pic if it has silk highlights and if it is knoted on a silk foundation. Is the fringe silk or just a fine wool?

-JB-

Name
JB
Just for the record I was gonna say the same thing Ken said, well, except for the glorious part, that was a lil too "metro" for me.

Mikey P

Administrator
That beauty is softer than your and Brain Hanna's palms put together, if not softer.

It's about a 3 x 5 so teak a guess at it's value.

She picked it up in china.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Beauty is in the high of the beholder. I think it's a very pretty rug~ though not one I'd own or have. I prefer nomadic rugs mostly and also like the vibrant colors of some of the new rugs coming out of Iran. I'm spoiled and get to see new stuff when it comes in :-)

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don't have any pics of rugs on my laptop, I'm surrounded by them at home and at work. I'll bring my camera home and take some pics of mine.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Mikey ..what do you like about the rug..?
I agree with Ken, beauty is in the eye of the beholder But Why do people buy an expensive rug to hang on the wall that they don’t really need? They are buying the… romance, artistry, affluence, and knowledgeable appreciation of woven art ..this is no different than any other art. There are three levels of consumers in the rug market IMO....Ignorant, Decorative and the Knowledgeable. Ignorant and decorative consumers blend into each other and the decorative and knowledgeable blend with each other. Ignorant and decorative buyers are usually emotional purchases with little knowledge or depth of understanding of the product in this case a rug. Their purchases are emotional based on color, design and trigger terms like “royal” Bokhara , “princess” Bokhara, “palace” size, or “Master weaver”.. knot count, silk content usually terms they don’t understand …. This is how rug shops with a 80- 90% off sales make their money and ignorant and decorative consumers often pay- X above legitimate retail.

The knowledgeable buyer tends to look for historic, ethnographic, cultural context for a rug purchase and has a deeper understanding of the rug making process, isn’t hooked by silk content, knot count while the purchase is emotional it’s a well throughout.

So what’s the rug up top ….it’s a basterdized Persian design in a tired dated color pallet, programmed there’s 100’s if not thousands of this rug out there and nothing particularly unique or original about it. The rug has no historic, ethnographic or cultural context to tie the design to the weavers or their culture. Because of this the rug is not going to gain value, become collectable or an heirloom in the future i'm not sure what will but this isn't it .

I like a lot of what woven legends is making they have taken weaving back to small village productions in eastern Turkey

http://www.wovenlegends.com/lgtigirspages/tg659g13.html

http://www.wovenlegends.com/lgsnppages/snp35.html

http://www.wovenlegends.com/lgeuphratespages/4005.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom