What if you could start over again...

BDR

I am about to exit military service and am brand new to the business... actually not even that far yet. I'm conducting mass research on the proper equipment to start my own carpet cleaning business and am a little overwhelmed by the choices of franchises, packages, additional services like air duct cleaning, etc., etc., etc. I was wondering what you guys with varying amounts of experience would suggest as the best set of equipment, package, and/or services to begin with if you could start again. I am wide open to your suggestions and look froward to beginning a new career. :?:

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Work for another company as a carpet cleaner.

If you find it's the career for you then go for it.

Cleaning for another company...or 2 or 3 will give you some experience to see what equipment you like.

I worked for my parents first and then owned my own company using the same tools as them. I worked for another carpet cleaner for a short time that used other equipment that I liked better and I started a company using that equipment.

If I did it over? I would still have worked for another company first...and then subbed out jobs to all the guys who have their own equipment.
The money is made in the office first for foremost.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
no to franchises.....do you really want to give them a % of your $$$$ uhhhhhh NO

1st off why do you want to get into this rat race???

Me i am a 2nd generation cleaner...and i kind of forced my way into it (used it as an excuse in school)

but i love it, 90% of the time somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus somewhat amus

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Don't nickel and dime your start up investment. As a military guy I am sure your motivated and hard working so don't go into the slouch mode. By a truckmount that will do the job properly where you don't have to worry about low heat or long dry times. Read alot of what is in this board and ask questions. Be proud of being a carpet cleaner and a small business owner and hold your head high and let everyone know you are the best, it does build your reputation as the best out there.
Compile a checklist of the tools you really need and don't buy more than what you need and dump the rest into smart marketing. When you look to market post here what your plans are and I am sure someoff us wasted money on it before and can send you an alternate route.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I think a big part of your decision will be impacted by how much available cash/credit you have. If little access to cash/credit then starting small with used equipment on a part time basis may be the route for you. If cash/credit are no issue then it opens up a whole host of options.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i would certainly have started out wit a PTO instead of a portable an' then a slide-in..........

joe harper

Name
joe harper
John...

I lived in Williamston...when I was a child....My grandmother lived in Belton...!!!

Any way...welcome..!
Randy Day is a member on this board..."good guy"..he has a BIZ in Anderson...!

Look him UP...!
Randy had considered doing "Air Duct Cleaning" not long ago...!

If you guys want to "hook-up"...I will sell you the equipment .."ON TIME" basis..!

Good Luck..!

ps If you are looking ....CC equipment..LES JONES..."Judson Equipment "..is your GUY..!
He is located in Greenville..."He has a BANNER ad here"...BUT you can call him anytime...!

Walt

Good points above. I'd second the thought of working for some one else first. Or a few someones. Don't expect big money doing that. But you will find out if you like the business or not. Further you will have some trainig before you get to your first job.

Here's my advice -
Don't buy junk. Don't buy big. Make sure you have money to spend on marketing materials. Don't imagine you are a graphic designer or web designer unless you are. Watch your
finances. Be a pro about. You can make a ton of money but if you spend it all - well you don't have any. Be driven every day -it will make you or you. You are not making money if you are watching tv or reading the boards.

C

cucu

take a drive over to Judson meet Les and Joyce in greenville. he will tell you both the good and the bad sides of the biz , and he will only sell you what you need

some will make it sound simple and easy to get into the biz ...it is... but bringing in the money it,s not as easy expect to work your balls off getting of the ground
then it gets easier

My first stop would be Les

Second stop would be Odin...he will teach you how to be a hater of marketing companies that may be trying to take advantage of new and unknowing carpet cleaners

last stop would be Mikey hisowndammself....as iv been told no one can string a line of upsell bs like he can

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
If I were to start over again AND I could live near a metro area I would consider specializing in bio-hazard work. It is amazingly easy to get people to do the work and very lucrative. We just don't have a lot of violence here. Good place to live:)
Al

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
First of all thank you for your service to our country.

Most importantly, find out if this is really the kind of work you want to do. It can be physically hard, I think a lot of us forget that because we are used to it. Most people don't want to work this hard to make a living. Work for a company in your town or go out with a crew to see how it is.

BDR

I really appreciate the feedback. I have to admit that the physical labor and competition to provide the best service to attract customers is what draws me to the business. I'm a sucker for a challenge and can't wait to get started. Please keep the comments coming. I will read anything you suggest and plan to attend the IICRC CCT course as well as the SFS seminar through Jon Don. Please let me know what else I should take a look at. I will definitely swing by Judson and check them out. Thanks again.

Just to give a little insight to my current plan... I think I will start with a portable setup simply because I can afford to fund that business with nothing borrowed. Would I be smarter to borrow the difference and go straight into a truckmount? I am open to any suggestions.

Jamesh921

Name
James
I started out running portables. Nothing wrong with them, but after buying a truckmount I HATE using a portable (sometimes necessary when you can't reach an area with truckmount hoses, hoses cannot be run into an occupied building, etc..._).

I'm not knocking portable operators, but a truckmount does give you an "image advantage". Lotsa folks won't even hire you if you don't own a truckmount. Or, they won't hire you again. If I had to start all over again, I'd definately buy a truckmount to start out with. But, do some research. Some of the new, more popular TMs, will cost you upwards of 15K. Right now we're in a buyer's market for used carpet cleaning equipment. Look around on

Craigslist

http://www.truckmountdeals.com/

http://www.truckmountdepot.com/The-C4.html

and other places like carpet cleaning supply houses in your area. You can find some really decent equipment (truckmount AND van with tools included) for under 10K.
It's nice to start out with brand new equipment. But, not alway practical. The deals are out there. When/if you think you've found a good one, the guys on this board can help you make an educated decision. Heck, some of these guys may even find one FOR you if you are really serious about getting into this business.

It's a good idea to minimize your debt, but don't be afraid to take SMALL leaps of faith to obtain equipment that will make your work more efficient and less labor intensive. The first time you lug a portable up, and back down, 3 flights of stairs (like I did for several years) you'll understand. And that was back when I was in my 20s. NO WAY I would do that now that I'm 46.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Systemize your business.
Don't just answer the phone, book the job and go clean. You need systems in place NOW so that, if you ever do decide to implement employees, they will have clear-cut instructions on how to properly and consistantly complete the task.

But, even if you never hire employees, at the very least you'll be defining and refining your business systems that will make your job (and your life) Waaaayyy easier. And being a one-man-show (owner/operator), ALL the daily, tedious task will fall on your shoulders AFTER you've cleaned the carpets. You have to be your own secretary, marketing manager, accountant and team motivator. It's not as easy as it looks/sounds. It's tough to run your own business. It's even tougher to be consistant at it.

There's lots more to consider. Keep asking questions and you'll get the answers you're looking for. You're among some of the best in the industry here on this board. And there's very little the people here can't answer.

Good luck

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
It really is a chicken and egg dilemma. Do you saddle yourself with a five year $1000/mo debt obligation for a nice new truck mount when you have no customer base to support it? Or do you spend $5000 for a nice portable system and slowly build up a customer base? You could build your customer base faster with the new truck mount and good marketing and good quality work, but the risks of failure are greater. But the work is more enjoyable with the beautiful new truck mount. But the costs are greater. Residential customers and business owners and managers like to see the powerful truck mount cleaning their carpets. But the new powerful portables can do as good a job as the truckmount albeit at a slightly slower speed. But the truckmount equipment is lighter and easier to use than a 160 to 200 pound portable.
Lots of questions to ponder.
Starting over and knowing what I know, I would get a five year old TM in perfect shape that looks new. Ken Snow at Hagopian sells their units beautifully refurbished every so often as do other companies sell their well taken care of TMs.
Then I would scramble like hell to get and more importantly retain all the customers I would need to make it work as quickly as possible.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Jamesh921 said:
I started out running portables. Nothing wrong with them, but after buying a truckmount I HATE using a portable ...

It's a good idea to minimize your debt, but don't be afraid to take SMALL leaps of faith to obtain equipment that will make your work more efficient and less labor intensive. The first time you lug a portable up, and back down, 3 flights of stairs (like I did for several years) you'll understand. And that was back when I was in my 20s. NO WAY I would do that now that I'm 46.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Systemize your business.
Don't just answer the phone, book the job and go clean. You need systems in place NOW so that, if you ever do decide to implement employees, they will have clear-cut instructions on how to properly and consistantly complete the task.

But, even if you never hire employees, at the very least you'll be defining and refining your business systems that will make your job (and your life) Waaaayyy easier. And being a one-man-show (owner/operator), ALL the daily, tedious task will fall on your shoulders AFTER you've cleaned the carpets. You have to be your own secretary, marketing manager, accountant and team motivator. It's not as easy as it looks/sounds. It's tough to run your own business. It's even tougher to be consistant at it.

There's lots more to consider. Keep asking questions and you'll get the answers you're looking for. You're among some of the best in the industry here on this board. And there's very little the people here can't answer.

Good luck
Lots of good advice in the posts above, John, and especially from James re: equipment. I would never advise someone to take on more debt than they can service. BUT on the other hand the profit potential/investment needed ratio in this business is so good that many find a truck mount right from the git-go save enormously on what will always be your biggest expense- your time.

Remember that every additional unnecessary hour you spend pushing a wand and especially so in the critical start up phase is one hour less that you could be out marketing and networking. (Now if you are going to go home and stare at the phone willing it to ring then by all means start with a cheap portable simply because with an attitude like this that is all you will be able to afford.

Steve Toburen
http://www.SFS.JonDon.com

PS Before the self-appointed Mikeysboard police come on crusading that I'm pushing you into unneeded debt, John, let me emphasize that my work with Jon-Don has NOTHING to do with equipment sales. I don't even know what models we carry nor do I care. Plus not even Jon-Don has enough money to bribe me into lying for them even if they wanted me to. (They don't.)

I'm just sharing my experience and that of many others. The portable proponents are right. You CAN do a good job with a portable. But it will almost always take longer and in some cases a LOT longer. Once again, your biggest expense is your time. SO if a decent truck mount will over the course of a month buy you even one or two days extra that you can (and WILL) invest in building your business then the payment will be worth it.

RickL

Great advice above, read it all. The big mistake a lot of people make is thinking that as long as your a quality cleaner and have a great truck work will fall in your lap, WRONG, you have to have several marketing efforts going on all the time and that alone is a lot of work.
1. Avoid debt as much as possible and market the heck out of ypur business. Good advice about working for someone to see if it's for you. to many get in this biz with false impressions
2. I recently revamped my Biz but have learned some stuff since then. I avoided debt to start and went with a portable and a little giant heater worked well but hard work. I then bought a truck with a slide in , hose reel and chemical shelve unit. I thought this was great and as good as it gets. I worked this way for several years and finally said screw it this is ok in the spring or fall but in the summer in Ga it was killing me. I sold everything and went totally commercial. The guy that used to work with me bought a slightly used professionally set up pto truck with all the bells and whistle's blue line elec hose reels with water pond. All the reels for water hose, live solution hose, just everything set up for efficiency. I worked with it a few times and a world of difference I really had no idea this stuff could make this big a difference on the body.
3.. My machine cleaned at around 210-215 degrees ATM, worked with another buddy who's machine cleaned at 240 degrees atm again I was shocked at the difference. Things like gum,etc game right out where with my machine it was hands and knees spot removal. I continually read on this board (Mr Meat :) ) that it would make a difference but thought can't be that big.
4. You'll eventually get opportunities to clean Tile and Grout, Stone, Hardwood, etc. I did it all. Still do some. But my advice is don't try to be everything to everybody focus on the areas you want and don't get side tracked by looking at the money you could make polishing this Marble floor,etc. You start dividing your marketing, sales efforts and it doesn't pay.
5. Work well with other cleaners , remember it's only carpet. I have made several friends in this business and not only has it brought friendship but a lot of increased business. One person I helped out on a tile and grout job, called me and said call this commercial acct (gave me guys name) they got some problem carpet. It turned into my largest commercial account . Also helps a lot when you run into a big job and need help to have a bunch of quality cleaners ready to help.
Great business, good people if you do it right. Good luck

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Call Bawb Vawter off this board, He may have a line on a church van and a completely rebuilt/Really New Steam Genie PTO for about 10,000. His truckmount would be simple to operate for you. A good New portable will cost you about 4,000+ with some accessories. It will cost you more time to set up, tear down, time to explain how you can do a good job to a customer. But lots here had to start with one because of $ cost. Larry Cobb has a Portable that would perform excellent for a starter 3 vacs for a little less than 3,000, but again think Truckmount if you can.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
This buisness can be real hard on your body. Even though you may be able to do it now, take care so you can do it in the years to come if you want. Using a portable just makes it more work. I stated out with a station wagon and a portable for the first several years and could believe the difference it made in my buisness(mentally and financially) when I got my first van and truck mount. Your going to need a van regardless, so go get a nice clean used one(there are alot out there), go get a TNT from Les(finance as little as possible). The Judson will last forever so you can easily slide it out of one van into another.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I started with a hack company (just needed a job back then), worked for 1 1/2 yrs with them cleaning with a Ninja portable out of the trunk of my car. I had a good teacher the first two weeks then I kept asking questions. There was no bulletin boards back then so you're already a mile ahead of where most of us started.

I started from scratch with $6000. Bought a Cheyenne portable, some tools and chems, new tires on my car, a few bucks left over. 2 1/2 yrs later I bought a used truck. Was making payments but I was able to make more in a day. I knew nothing about marketing and busn. I was just a good cleaner getting lots of repeat and referrals. Doing a good job over and above what people expected saved my busn.

If I were to start over I would have invested more in learning about marketing and business and finance. I done a lot of that backwards. After 3yrs of struggling I connected with Piranha marketing, they taught me a lot and probably saved my busn. Connected with Steve Marsh in 05, he helped progress my busn. Ellen Rohr teaches the busn side basics in an easy to understand way, only met her in 06. Hooked up with Mikeysboard in 07/08, a valuable source of information.

Find "like-minded" cleaners as your friends and associates.

Determine what kind of cleaning you want to do, what your target market is going to be, that will help you determine how much you'll need to charge. ie if you want to go higher end takes longer to do the work, so you can only do so many in a day.

Learn where you're efficient and hire someone for where you're inefficient.

woodsey

John, your in the right place to get great information on this business. Be sure to take several hours and use the search function on the board to get specific information on any cleaning subject you need to know about. There is alot you dont want to know but thats a different story. Its all here. If you go with a truckmount and you are anywhere near Judson then that should be an easy decision JUDSON TNT truckmount and a #4LG heater. One thing to add REMEMBER THIS 1/2 of the business is your equipment,chems , accounting etc and the other 1/2 is how you treat your customers, the second half cannot be overstated. Good luck Woodsey

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom