What If....

Ryan

You took a classic Steamin Demon and a kero heater. Mounted the heater in your truck, and hooked up to a standered garden hose to the heater. Then ran a hose from the heater inside to your Steamin Demon.

Using heaters like this.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200377863

http://salestores.com/camspr192.html

So I think the plastic impeller (I think its called??) on the auto pump out would have to be changed out to a metal one. Any other reasons why this wouldn't work? Would the pressure from a water faucet be enough to run the water through the heater? I've never used a steamin demon so I don't know how easy/hard they are to use.

But 4gpm with 200 degree water for under 5k sounds good too me. :shock: 8) :mrgreen:

Ryan

Ok so I came up with this at 3:30 in the morning. :oops: Either its so stupid that no one even chose to comment on it, or its such a a great idea your all running out and selling of your TMs and V/AT's to do it...... I'm thinking its the former lol

Name
Shawn Forsythe
The original SD has some pretty high open flow. First, there would be little restriction to create any great pressure with that pressure washer/heater combo. As well, the flow rate would be so high, as to overcome the ability of the heater to create a reasonable temperature rise.

You are better off using the existing heat of the tanked heater in the place being cleaned.

Two years ago at MF, Downey at SD was demo-ing a newer unit for pressure washer hook-up. I don't recall if it was heat friendly. I don't see it on their website, but I do see it on their price list. Maybe they never went into full scale production.

Ryan

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't actualy thinking about using a pressure washer just a kero heater made for one and hooking it up to a garden hose outside. Some of these heaters will give a 165 degree rise in temp at 4 gpm. I think Duane Oxley uses similar heaters on his TM's. The max flow on a SD is 4 gpm. So the heater should produce temps of around 200 degrees. I'm just wondering if a SD could handle this constant heat, if the flow where adjusted down to 2.5 or 3 gpm you could put out some serious heat.

Or Two of mytees freshwater tanks could be mounted over each wheel well in a van, with a small electric pump. Then mount the heater in front of the van near the side door. No tapping into the custys sink, quick set up, no bulky vacuum hose, 240 degree water @ 2.5 gpm (about the same as a 12 flow I think), APO, and all for about $5500.

Now I havn't used a SD, would this be practical? Other the the high heat fooking up the SD is there any other reason this would be a bad idea?

-JB-

Name
JB
If your cleaning w/a SA TM, why not just increase flow at the wand to 12? Works to put off the same flow as the SD in my testing, about 2.5 ish GPM

Ryan

SD puts out 4gpm according to their site. I'm cleaning with a 13/33 Steam Action Nike So I'm not sure how well my dry times would be with that kind of flow.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
sounds like a hell a lot of work.... re-engineering an already existing wheel with a hodge podge of parts and components to make it into something that already exists...namely a TM

I think you'd be farther ahead to find a worn out/blown up TM with good frame for cheap and start there to rebuild/re-engineer

new 25hp motor...............................................................................................$1800
new blower .......................................................................................................1700
New pump..........................................................................................................500
new heater.......................................................................................................1500
mics plumbing/parts ..........................................................................................500

not cobbing together a contraption never intended for such use.......................priceless

..L.T.A.

Supersucker

This reminds me of a post from a week or two ago, basically someone wanted to set up a gas powered water extraction unit in their van and use a separate pump and heater.

These are actually all good ideas that open up possibilities of other add-on services which you can't do with a standard heat exchange TM, such as pressure washing with or without heat in addition to flood extraction. Also good to think about as a backup when the TM goes down.

My question is, do you already have the SD? Could you not put together a Little Giant on a dolly with 10# propane tank? Then you wouldn't have to run any hoses in.

What you propose could also be modified to overcome lack of heat with a portable. In other words, mount tanks, heater & pump in the van and run that hose in, then set up a porty for vacuum.

-JB-

Name
JB
SD puts out 4gpm according to their site. Yup, that's what their site SAYS alright. :roll: I'm cleaning with a 13/33 Steam Action Nike So I'm not sure how well my dry times would be with that kind of flow. Higher flow = faster dry times, if you give vacuum a choice between air and water it will always pull air first, so with "high flow" you flood the vac chamber with water forcing it to pull more, hence faster dry times

think about it this way..

you want to empty a bathtub full of water, you lower the vac hose in horizontally, the water will be evacuated slowly, yet steadily, now take the same hose and slam it vertically in the same tub, the hose will nearly jump from your hand the water comes out so fast, and the tub is empties in a snap, same idea with high flow cleaning.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom