What in THEE hell is up with.........

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
all the discoloration that area rugs leave behind? The gooey backed latex bath mats have been the most notorious. Yellow yellow yellow and from all that I've read it is fuming from the latex and it's effects on carpet die sites. But there's way more then just those cheap ass bath mats that stain carpet.

So before I consult the talking head rug folks up the food chain I gotta ask if other cleaners are seeing staining from the far more "constructed" area rugs then just then the plain latex POS bath mats??? Others that top the list that I've seen are wool rugs with the canvas looking backs that have that glued on boarder. Are they using latex glues or something worse that needs a label stating "do not place on installed carpet because this rug is made of toxic sh.. that fumes and stains your installed carpet"?

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Any rug that has a latex backing will yellow or whiten the carpet underneath. Usually happens as the latex begins to break down.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
The wool rugs you're speaking of are hand tufted rugs, and yes they are held together with a latex glue. It breaks down, turns to powder, and can begin to smell something awful, as well as discolor carpeting underneath.

Hand-knotted rugs can crock onto carpet as well. Somewhat less common, but certain types of hand made rugs will do this consistently.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I always thought it was that off-gassing affect that the latex backing puts off over time, which makes it turn yellow. Just like those mats at offices where chairs roll on

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Those rugs also affect wood floors badly. Ask my in-laws... After me recommending not to get those type of secondary backing type rugs. They got one...again. And it is now breaking down leaving the powdery results and also the discoloration of the wood floors underneath. (real beautiful wood)

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Um- try some acid on it. Vinegar has made it disappear more than a few times for me. Smells like kosher dill for a bit, but it beats the alternatives.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom