What is it made of???

Ron K

Called up Host in Racine and they said couldn't tell me what the "Sponges" were made from. Have a Synthetic Carpet with Carpet Beatles . Pesticide place say Carpet Beatles eat among other things Grain Based Products. Synthetic carpet is not Grain Based............. is it????

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Ground corn cob.

Carpet beetles can't eat synthetic carpet, even if the plastics are derived from corn.

They may get into grain or cereal, but preferred foods are pollen and nectar (which is why they often get inside on cut flowers) and the same protein matter that wool moths eat. Doubtful they're munching on Host residue, but they may be living on hair or the dust from shed skin that accumulates in the carpet.

Ron K

Talked to a Pesticide Company and they said they doubted there was enough protein based residue to sustain a Beatle and mentioned Grain. I know some host product is left after cleaning and would say if the Host was applied by a consumer even more would be left.

The carpet I think is Nylon so I was trying to find out what the "Food" source would be. We have found Beatles in wool and silk and even Shoe boxes,leather.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
my experience has found a LOT of HOST pwdr left in the carpet, no matter who used it. Nasty stuff to vacuum out. I believe they saturate the "powder" with a dry cleaning solvent so anything that eats it may get a stomach ache.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
nothing of any "real" value to add, but was thinking along the same lines as Ron.

it's not "just" ground cob, is it??
There is some kind of solvent in it

maybe a MSDS search will help

..L.T.A.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
It's got a PH of 5.2

the msds sheet isn't saying what's in it other than "bio based fibers moistened with water based cleaning solution".
msds sheet: http://hostdry.com/wp-content/pdf/MSDS_HOST.pdf

here's an old school carpet cleaning pic... (i like old school carpet cleaning pics somewhat amus )
HOST_Ad_1957.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom