What is the optimum way to dry wtw cpt on a rainy day?

Mikey P

Administrator
It's raining out side, cold and the wind is blowing, carpet was just HWE'd, with out leaving behind a blower what do you tell the home owner to do?

Bob Foster

That's really common weather for us to be cleaning in where we are. Keep the room at normal temperatures, crack the windows an inch or so in each room and turn on the bathroom fans and keep the doors to the rooms open.

Considering you leave the carpets pretty dry anyway this will still dry the place out. The ambient humility in the house will still go down even if it's raining outside. The air exchange makes a lot of difference even with it raining outside.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
It's raining OUTSIDE, but inside, it's nice and dry and sunny. 8)

I don't know how much the outside humidity effects the inside, but as long as the customer has the windows closed, I don't see how the outside can get inside.

If their windows are open, then follow the advice above.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I see my fastest dry times in the winter. Even when the RH is high outside the temperature difference is enough to create very low relative humidity by the time the air is warmed up to 70 degrees. Here in Kansas spring and fall is when carpet takes longer to dry because the AC and furnace aren’t running. I have seen a CGD take 4 days to fully dry in the spring because the cool slab was near dew point. Airmovers don’t help much if relative humidity is too high. I don’t use airmovers much anymore to dry wall to wall carpet because my carpets are dry to the touch in 3-5 hours if the RH id less than 50%. If it’s higher they air movers won’t help much unless you leave them behind. The last time I left airmovers on a job it was 3” shag. Just tell your customers to turn the furnace fan from Auto to On if it’s not practical to run the AC or furnace.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Judson rinse and Judson DD12 have drying agents in them. Very helpful in high-humidity situations.

A lot of rain here lately.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Out Of Character said:
I just tell them to use a shop vac or bissel and make some dry strokes

That's probably the best advice: just spend more time making dry strokes than you normally would. You will pull out still more water and eliminate any potential problems.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mike...

We clean in 90 to 100% hunidity ALL the time...!

Tell them to CRANK the AC down & turn on all their celing fans...

The AC acts as a DEHU..! Untill you get the humidity out of the air..

The carpet can NOT dry... :wink:

We have a problem with people "opening" their window here...it just PROLONGS drying...

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
you are getting our Oregon rain

don't the houses down there have heat, turn it on

is it really a problem for you or are the dry times slightly increased

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
We ask them to turn on the heat if possible. also to move fan switch from auto to fan on.
the worst is next customer is upstairs only main floor wall to wall and everything is wet.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Harp pretty much summed it up. Nobody knows about drying carpets like us guys who live down here in the South.

Bob Savage has it right too.

It ain't rocket science and doesn't take a UCS professor to figure it all out.

You dumbass.

Bill Bruders

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Bruders
Mike try using an AIRPATH while your cleaning move it from room to room and have it be the last thing you take out of the house. Also don't wait until your done to crack the windows do it while your cleaning no reason to delay the drying process.

Sorry couldn't help but plug the product seemed like a set up to me. As for cleaning products with drying agents in them I'm curious how that chemistry works since most cleaning products rely on wetting agents to be effective.

Bob Foster

Bill, the Advanced Oxygen Rinse Agent in the Judson product is an additive which is metered in or added to the water supply tank. This rinse agent specifically incorporates driers into it.

F

FB7777

sshhhhhhhhhh, Bob.... this is an airpath commercial spot

Mikey will be gving all his MF6 paid vendor booths a 15 second spot over the next month in clean room threads... its not Judon's turn yet

Name
Lee Stockwell
In a chemistry context "drying agents" are NOT something that makes carpet dry faster, or at all. The only chemical that would help drying that seems to be somewhat valid would be alcohol. However it would be of limited use and introduces complications of it's own.

I'm interested in the spin??

Bob Foster

Lee Stockwell said:
In a chemistry context "drying agents" are NOT something that makes carpet dry faster, or at all. The only chemical that would help drying that seems to be somewhat valid would be alcohol. However it would be of limited use and introduces complications of it's own.

I should have chosen my words more carefully. There are agents put in it specifically to enhance dry times.

I think the Airpath is a very good product for drying during the cleaning process.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bob Foster said:
[quote="Lee Stockwell":1zd54lv2]In a chemistry context "drying agents" are NOT something that makes carpet dry faster, or at all. The only chemical that would help drying that seems to be somewhat valid would be alcohol. However it would be of limited use and introduces complications of it's own.

I should have chosen my words more carefully. There are agents put in it specifically to enhance dry times.

I think the Airpath is a very good product for drying during the cleaning process.[/quote:1zd54lv2]

Bob that was actually the crux of my question. WHAT agents are put in it specifically to enhance dry times?

Thanks,
Lee

Bob Foster

I realize my results from using Judson 02 rinse are anecdotal but having used a fair amount of it I feel it does leave the carpet drier.

But saying that there are many more things that I think offer a carpet a much better chance in drying out quicker when there is high humidity. If your hallmark is leaving carpets almost dry it certainly starts at your extraction process and everything you do before you leave the job.

Lots of CFM at the wand
A glided wand - hybrid or holed
Extra dry passes - which should be habit if you consider yourself a good cleaner
High extraction heat
Proper purpose built fans for this application of after extraction fast drying of carpet such as the AirPath or Quik-Dry
Post grooming

Even if you are not actively doing restoration work taking a basic IICRC water damage course will definitely give you ammunition on how to dry your carpets quicker.

I recently solicited a business that sold watercolor art and art supplies. She asked me how I cleaned and I replied to here based on my observations it would use hot water extraction because of how impacted the carpet was and its type. She almost threw me out of her store but did explain why she would not have it. The previous carpet cleaner did a lot of damage (in excess of $10,000) to the art and supplies that he easily could have prevented if he has simply used a single snout fan and an available vent window.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bob, excellent thoughts on drying, other than the chemistry.

The simple fact is that there is no magic bullet chemical that will make carpet dry faster. However effective removal of some sticky residue will make it "feel" drier quicker, as you noted.

A good subject for further testing and demonstrations for sure.

Thanks,
Lee

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
What Bob said way back is what I do. Even when its raining here in Victoria, the specific humidity really isn't that high. Humidity is not one of our challenges except for a few days in summer.
Keep it just warm, ie comfortable, inside.
Open the windows about a fingers width.
Fans or not, it'll be dry by morning.

An airpath will certainly speed it up if need be.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I wonder what effect construction type has on drying. Around here, slab-on-grade (concrete) is the norm and basements are almost nonexistant, but other places probably see more joist - wood subflooring construction. Does it make a difference?

Bob Foster

Lee Stockwell said:
[quote="Bob Foster":2nc25key][quote="Lee Stockwell":2nc25key]In a chemistry context "drying agents" are NOT something that makes carpet dry faster, or at all. The only chemical that would help drying that seems to be somewhat valid would be alcohol. However it would be of limited use and introduces complications of it's own.

I think the Airpath is a very good product for drying during the cleaning process.[/quote:2nc25key]

Bob that was actually the crux of my question. WHAT agents are put in it specifically to enhance dry times?

Thanks,
Lee[/quote:2nc25key]

The product included in the formulation is 99% IPA and it was specifically to enhance dry times. Add a fan it makes it dramatically more effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom