What is your definition of Dry???

John Watson

Don't feel wet?

Cool, but, no water droplets on the back of my hand?

feels exactly like an area that was not cleaned?

Please give me what your definition is, and also give your definition of

clean, Is it free from soils. looks to be void of soils?

Now what is our industries definition of them both? anyone know??

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
Defining the industry is impossible, too many people out there.

Dry, is dry. Free of moisture.

Dry in relation to carpet cleaning, is dry enough that your socks don't get wet.

Clean, is looks to be void of soils, not all carpets are 100% cleanable without submersion.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
How about:

Dry is no noticeable transfer of moisture to another surface through direct contact with the cleaned surface.

Clean is removal of as much soil as is possible while making the cleaned surface more sanitary. (This one is from the EPA.)

Thanks for posting this John. Like "green" these definitions seem to have a sliding scale depending on the method being sold.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
dry to me is, as dry as it was before we cleaned it.
which is NOT the same as "dry to touch" that most use when they claim,
"dry in X amount of time"
and "dry to touch" is also so darn subjective depending on who's making the claim

here's a little tip for ya'll that like to claim the fastest "dry" times.
Wash your hands, then towel dry them before you check.
You be able to cut your "dry time" in half....

"clean", is the absence of soil to me

we all clean carpets, but as Kevin eluded too, we can't make them 100% "clean" by my definition

..L.T.A.

Name
Eric Valentine
Truly dry is when the surface is the same as a non-cleaned area. a subjective way to say it is dry when you can wear cotton socks, walk on the carpet, and the socks don't absorb any moisture.

Clean is what Bryan (Oz) said, and I would agree with Kevin and meAt on not being able to remove 100%.

TimP

Dry to me means not wet at all, or the same as an untouched area. When I clean, my carpet feels like a rung out towel where every last drop has been squeezed out or cool to the touch. Within 20-30 min or less after extraction I get no transfer to my pants when kneeling. I would say my carpets are usually completely dry in 6 hours after I leave, olefin about 2-3 hours with no blowers. Most customers are pretty pleased when they feel how dry I leave their floors.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
clean

This is what we are working on for the revised S100:

Cleaning is the traditional process of removing pollutants contaminants and unwanted substances. Cleaning is the process of locating, identifying, containing,removing and properly disposing of unwanted matter. Cleaning is the process used to achieve the clean condition. Cleaning can be best viewed as a fundamental environmental management process of putting unwanted matter in its proper place.

Rambo

Alabama Delegation

That last sentence of Bill Yeadons post had to have been put together by the Alabama Delegation. After all these years, I thought "corp speak" was a thing of the past. It still brought a smile to my face.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Dry : practical defn- is when they can put furniture on the carpet and it won't rust or leave a wood stain.
It can be humid enough that the ambient air moisture can cause the staining so then the carpet wouldn't be dry.

Clean - the removal soil, oily and dry particulate, as well as removing some microbes (controlling the little buggers), nothing there that would cause illness. (so where does all the Kawasaki Synd junk come from?) I was my plates, they are "clean", I wash my truck it is clean, I wash my hands they are clean.

So, LM methods, do they "clean"?

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Better yet, clean your own carpets. Walk barefooted when it feels dry. If it feels cool come back in an hour and repeat.

Then again a moisture meter would be the best test but I'm not sure most of us want to know the truth :lol:

Albert

Name
Shawn Forsythe
A heavy knee impression on a blue paper towel will give an excellent determination of "dry" after wet cleaning. Not applicable at all on WD, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom