What keeps a PTO from popping out of gear?

V

vegijohn

With a Vortex you can't set the parking break when the machine is running. My tech wants to know what keeps the thing from popping out of gear and driving off though someone's house-- especially when parked on a steep hill.

TimP

As far as I understand you shouldn't be parking on a steep hill. You're supposed to keep the TM fairly level. At least with my cds. Being too steep can run the oils in the blower and pump out of the proper area and could damage it. At least that's what I think I remember from the owners manual and from the people I bought it from. I'm too lazy to check however.

Rex Tyus

Why can't you set the emergency brake on a vortex? If a vehicle "pops" out of park and into drive, it is defective.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
when I had my CDS we were instructed not to park it at more then a 10% grade............kinda hard in some areas... they don't tell you this until it is bought and out the door...go figure.........

The Vortex has a power transfer box hook into the transmission.....

it is really no different from putting your car in park and holding the gas down ......you aren't going no where until you put it in gear........as far as hill or steep driveways....I have never had a problem.the UD holds itself really good...I always just turn my wheel accordingly........

It bothered me the first few time.I was so use to that comfort of having the emg, break set with the CDS but after a few runs and I saw how it hold itself.I don't even think about it any more.....

another thing....when I put it in park and it is on a hill ....when I am done it just glides out of gear.unlike most.if you are on a hill it slams/jerks out because the gears have the weight of the truck on it.....this truck has never done that and I have had it on some pretty steep places...........

turn the tires into the curb or hose and lock steering wheel just in case........
One thing about mine is with the lock down system I have.If it comes out of gear the system does a complete shut down.....machine truck everything.....so if I set my wheels accordingly which everyone should be doing anyway.I really should not have to worry to much about some freaky thing happening and my truck taking off

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Rex Tyus said:
Why can't you set the emergency brake on a vortex? .

I'm going to "guess" that it works on the drive train/drive shaft and doesn't pull a cable to the brake shoes/pads like a "regular" cargo van

..L.T.A.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
...exaust breaking system..........it has a vacuum pump and a holding tank......as it is running it stores in the tank...

in park the diverter is engaged and the system is on.....we have to make sure it is off ..............

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If your truck is an automatic there is a small pawl pin in the transmission (unless you have a big-truck Allison with no park) that engages in park to keep the truck from moving. It isn't meant to keep the truck from rolling on a steep hill, that's the reason for a parking brake or wheel chocks. Use the wheel chocks if you're worried, they're a good idea any time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom