WHAT MAKES YOU DIFFERENT?

greenclean

The average person (usually a woman) purchasing carpet cleaning services doesn't have a clue when it comes to the difference between a vortex or butler or a truck mount or a porty! All thay care about is... are you going to get their carpets clean? Are you charging a fair price? and Can I trust them in my home?...(Just to list a few main concerns) All the advertising and marketing I have researched suggests you need to show how you are different from your competitiors. Most of the ads I read say the same old thing! How are you different?

I'm trying to come up with some new ads for the spring and hit a brick wall any input would be greatly appreciated. :p

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
BS - Women DO see the difference between a V and a porty. They can see a rig that is obviously large, expensive and well-maintained vs. The guy schlepping his porty out of the back of his aged Astro van. Especially if you take the time to educate them about the differences in equipment by giving them a "tour" of your powerplant.

This doesn't mean that is all they make decisions based upon, or the most important aspect, but if you have good quality, well maintained equipment, don't hesitate to show it in an ad. And to promote it while in the home.

However the best equipment won't help if they think you are too pushy, untrustworthy, superior or condescending.

Think of marketing to women (or to anyone) as a pie. Just like in your cleaning pie, use your strongest points to your advantage and keep your weaker points in the background.
If your equipment is a strong point, emphasize it, if you run a porty emphasize something else, like your personal, friendliness or your years of experience, certifications, skill, etc.

Women want service workers that they can trust and feel comfortable with. They like to feel that there is some personality there and friendly and open people will naturally do better.

Take care,
Lisa

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
The fact that I am handsome...lol.
Truth is..the hard part for me is getting people infront of me. once i do..its over. charm..it works every time. And..I actually clean..not just spray some soap and water and vacuum. Many times I think I could have done a better job after I leave..but that is just the pressure i put on myself..because I don't get call backs for redu's.. but I have seen my work after its done and it is good. Just smile..be yourself and let your work do all the talking.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
All thay care about is... are you going to get their carpets clean? Are you charging a fair price? and Can I trust them in my home?...

Hmmm, you know this, and yet named your company after a fairly recent fad that means little to consumers except that everyone is marketing green? It could mark you as a young pup trying to cash in on a fad.

"Sensible Carpet Cleaning - since 1965." (When were you born?) Just like none of the offshore workers that answer a tech call is really named Susan... :wink:

Keep your greenishness as a tag line if you want.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had a lady tell me she was used to the carpet cleaners looking like they just got out of prison. She refers me to everyone she knows. I guess that makes me different.
Maybe having a big truck will let the customer know you can load up more of their stuff if they dare to leave you alone for any length of time.

greenclean

The Great Oz said:
All thay care about is... are you going to get their carpets clean? Are you charging a fair price? and Can I trust them in my home?...

Hmmm, you know this, and yet named your company after a fairly recent fad that means little to consumers except that everyone is marketing green? It could mark you as a young pup trying to cash in on a fad.

"Sensible Carpet Cleaning - since 1965." (When were you born?) Just like none of the offshore workers that answer a tech call is really named Susan... :wink:

Keep your greenishness as a tag line if you want.

What does the name of the company have to do with anything in this thread accept it may be the difference between us and the other guy...im missing your point! (if there is one). GREEN cleaning means alot to consumers...peolple in general will do what they can to help the environment, their family, friends, or pets. Every little bit helps. As far4 as a fad...its here to stay my friend....2010 will be the biggest movement towards GREEN you have ever seen!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Don't take my earlier response too seriously; I was having a little fun with your thread. Your question was "what makes you different" I assumed for the purposes of marketing that difference. You pointed out what customers want most, but the name of your company (an important part of your marketing) is about something other than what you know customers want most. I was frivolously giving you a way to hit your trustworthy/experienced/value marks.

What makes you different in your area might be green right now, but if "2010 will be the biggest movement towards GREEN you have ever seen!" it certainly won't be for long. In my area there are dozens of cleaning companies so loudly thumping the green drum as what makes them different that customers are confused as to which supposedly green company they called last. What will make you stand out from every other green cleaner?

Just follow Lisa's guidelines.

PS: Be careful using humor in your advertising, many people won't get it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I could use that one!
What sets me apart is that I take the time to actually clean. From vacuuming to precondition, scrub it in, let it dwell, then a good rinse. I take my time and I take the time that I need.

Talked with a guy today that said he'd be worried about a cleaner that would be through the whole house in 2 hrs.

Chris A

Name
Chris
meAt said:
our motto has always set apart from the crowd

"We're not good
but we're slow"

..L.T.A.

Have you ever noticed you've misspelled "Portage" county in your profile for years...?

greenclean

I guess this kinda went off in the wrong direction....The point I was trying to make was that we all clean carpet, most of us do it well. We all use different systems to achieve a similiar end result. In various carpet cleaning ads you see the generic statements such as:

"Powerful truck mount unit", "Owner operated", "fully insured", "xx Yrs of experience", etc

What can you really say that makes you different!

Once you get in the home you can point out all of your positive points (as Lisa stated above), and stay away from your weak points. This is all well and fine.

What can you say...in your advertising...that really makes you different from the next cleaner?

I also hoped this would inspire you all to think about what makes you "really" different from the next guy! Beyond the obvious...I'm stuck!

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Ron Werner said:
I could use that one!
What sets me apart is that I take the time to actually clean. From vacuuming to precondition, scrub it in, let it dwell, then a good rinse. I take my time and I take the time that I need.

Talked with a guy today that said he'd be worried about a cleaner that would be through the whole house in 2 hrs.

Ron's tagline should read "Perfection takes time".

Take care,
Lisa

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I always wanted to start a CCing company called

SECOND BEST CARPET CLEANING
"When you can't afford the very best!"

I always thought it would really appeal to most people's sense of humor and the self-deprecatory tone to it, implies an easy-going, humble, friendly and humorous nature. I would call the company with that name and tag line.

Take care,
Lisa

Willy P

Name
Willy P
truckmount girl said:
BS - Women DO see the difference between a V and a porty. They can see a rig that is obviously large, expensive and well-maintained vs. The guy schlepping his porty out of the back of his aged Astro van. Especially if you take the time to educate them about the differences in equipment by giving them a "tour" of your powerplant.

Lisa

Lisa, I love you like a sister, but I call BULLSHIT.

It's an aged Venture van. I sold the Astro :D

Find your niche and service the crap outta of it with a smile and good manners. Get a referral network in place- the best ones are a goldmine and all it takes is doing an outstanding job. 80% of my new business is referrals from happy campers. They aren't impressed with a whole lot more than results. The carpet stores that refer all inquiries for cleaning to me don't give a fat rat's ass if I use a V or a bucket,brush and a shop vac. All that matters to them is their customers thanking them for the referral.
Example- I just did an condo for a lady (referral) that was very pleased ( I like pleasuring ladies :wink: ). Turns out , she works for our local hospital as a "gate keeper" in the right area. They've been using the men in the shiny black van for years, doing the limited carpet areas and an ass load of upholstery.And I mean an ass load. Guess what? As of June 1, 2010.... Now these guys run Hydramasters and Cleanco's and I run a Recoil. Go figure.

And now back to our regular programming.

CanYouHemiNow

truckmount girl said:
I always wanted to start a CCing company called

SECOND BEST CARPET CLEANING
"When you can't afford the very best!"

I always thought it would really appeal to most people's sense of humor and the self-deprecatory tone to it, implies an easy-going, humble, friendly and humorous nature. I would call the company with that name and tag line.

Take care,
Lisa

That's funny right there but I never really thought of self-defecation as a positive thing... :?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
It can be very positive, if done right. POint out your short comings before they discover them and use that as a positive.
For myself, I take longer and cost more. You get what you pay for and as Lisa pointed out, perfection takes time.

Willy, those black vans, the ones operated by the World's most experienced carpet cleaners??
Kudos

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
What makes me different is the way I market to them.

I market to them by referral

That way they hear from me from a friend , neighbor or co-worker, member from a group they belong to,etc.........

By using referral marketing tactics they trust me from the start and they are not very price sensitive.

Works very well to market to women.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Chris Adkins said:
Have you ever noticed you've misspelled "Portage" county in your profile for years...?

no I didn't
but now that you mention it...I still don't GAS..... :shock:

:mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Farenheit251

I think the Cermak's "dries in minutes" is the best I've seen. Unfortunately there would be too much time involved for me to gaurantee on every job.

Hydramasters rotary Drimaster shpuld have been the best thing ever. Hopefully someone can iron the bugs out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom