What Rug Class should a hack like myself take?

Mikey P

Administrator
My "partner in crime" is moving right along with building the plant. Should be ready to roll by mid January. Cement pit and all.

I guess I can't rely on you all to keep me out of trouble. I imagine most of the stuff we'll see will be machine mades and modern Costco specials but ya never know.

Or should I go be Hydes slave for a week?

F

FB7777

Re: What Rug Class should a hack lime myself take?

Rug secrets sssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh

Brevik on Boyle's computer

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow

A week won't do it Mike, but for only a Thousand a week I'd let you come work in my Rug Care Spa for a couple months. At the end of that time you will be light years ahead of where you are now knowledge wise and only need a few more years before you graduate from tadpole status. We could even teach you how to do some simple hand and machine repairs in a week or so of 10 hour a day, 6 day a week training.

DUSTY

Wow. that is a fantastic deal to work in Kens operation for a week for only 1K.

Jump all over this one Mike,, but only after you do a 2 or 3 day RCT class as you want to have a bit of classroom time first.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

I'd do the visits and later the class time.

Be Randy's slave for a week since it's closer than Ken's and your operation will be similar to what he has.

Visit Ken to see how it's done big time and to pickup tech tips.

Schools are all worth attending and I would still do so, but for someone to allow you to see their day to day operation would would be hard to compare.

rhyde

Name
rhyde

What makes you think I’d have ya…I’m still insulted from the other post.

There’s no substitute for the real world operation like ken’s you’ll see a lot of everything and working in a volume rug operation is the best place to learn ID. The only issue I’d see with Ken is the wash/dust system which I believe is Moore washer their handling (washing) of most rugs will be somewhat different than what you’ll implement in a small low volume wash operation.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Start with the IICRC class. Good information to help keep a beginner out of trouble and not too difficult. Then visit different sizes of cleaning shops. I'd recommend making friends with the folks at Sequoia and Appleby to get some tips before traveling farther from home.

There's something to be learned from any combination of the more advanced rug courses. You'll find there are lots of ways to get rugs clean and you'll discover that anyone preaching one 'best' way without considering limitations of both rug and shop is either selling you something or needs to get out and get more experience themselves. The RIA/NIRC course will give you the best overall information as it's been developed by many very experienced cleaners and revised over the years. It's tough enough that I'd recommend some background experience before taking it, but you'll feel like your eyes have been opened to a new world when you're through. Having their certification means you've accomplished something.

PS: Maybe you and Randy and Ken all need to get out more. :)

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL T

A Junior weaver makes a little more than that now and a Master more than double that. This is a much higher wage than most of the population makes, and allows them to live a decent life, again muh better than the majority of the population.

Keep in mind that a 9 X 12 Egyptian Nain take 4 people 9 months to weave. This does not count the cost to raise the sheep, shear the sheep, proccess and dye the wool, pay the artisits to draw and color the designs for the weavers to weave by, the cost of the 3 buildings and all their maintanance, the supervisors and general manager to run the show, the 2 meals and classroom teaching we provide (no one else does this to our knowledge), the cost to finish (fringe tyeing, nap shearing, washing and grooming 2-4 times), the rug processing for shipment and the shipping to america dealing with customs and freight forwarders etc.

All said and done our margins improved by about 10%-15 over buying from wholesalers in New York. Also though we employed 100's of people in Egypt, they could only produce less than 5% of the rugs we sell.

Ken

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
It's all perspective T~ last time I visited our ops there, I felt like the king of siam. I was so humbled by the kindness, and joy of the poeple that have jobs, most of whom had no future cause the country is in such bad shape. It made me realize how fortunate we are and to not take my petty problems too seriously.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Ken Snow said:
All said and done our margins improved by about 10%-15 over buying from wholesalers in New York. Also though we employed 100's of people in Egypt, they could only produce less than 5% of the rugs we sell.

hardly worth the effort

Greenie

OMG! :shock:
Ken is an importing sweatshop.

That's it, he's off my Xmas card list.

So....how much faster is that "machine made" rug completed in?
and...can anyone tell?

Ken Snow said:
LOL T

A Junior weaver makes a little more than that now and a Master more than double that. This is a much higher wage than most of the population makes, and allows them to live a decent life, again muh better than the majority of the population.

Keep in mind that a 9 X 12 Egyptian Nain take 4 people 9 months to weave. This does not count the cost to raise the sheep, shear the sheep, proccess and dye the wool, pay the artisits to draw and color the designs for the weavers to weave by, the cost of the 3 buildings and all their maintanance, the supervisors and general manager to run the show, the 2 meals and classroom teaching we provide (no one else does this to our knowledge), the cost to finish (fringe tyeing, nap shearing, washing and grooming 2-4 times), the rug processing for shipment and the shipping to america dealing with customs and freight forwarders etc.

Ken

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Ken Snow said:
but for only a Thousand a week I'd let you come work in my Rug Care Spa for a couple months. .

WOW! that's pretty good pay.
tell you what, make it 7 hours a day x 6 day week , provide my food and lodging and I'll come up and apprentice the month of Feb.
heck, you won't even have to pay me those top apprentice wages.

pay me cash under the table and I'll do it $800 a week.... :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Lora Olson

We have orientals, but didn't buy a one. They are all old family rugs...Couldn't afford them now. I have a 30 year old Turkish sunerbank rula and a 100 year old wool persian. Also, have a bunch of other smaller oriental wool rugs, mostly Egyptian and Turkish.

I think that rug owners who care about their rugs have a responsibility to bring them to someone they trust. There's only one guy in the state of utah who I know has the qualifications.

And when our carpet cleaners call and ask how to do area rugs...we usually won't tell them. If they don't know, we tell them to call the guy who knows and they share the profits. That way everyone wins.

If you don't do area rugs/orientals, find someone in your area and partner up with them. You don't have to give them your custy name, but deliver and pick up and work something out with the rug cleaner!!

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Lora,We recommend that too. 8) But, some rugs don't need (or deserve) expert care, and some guys work too far from a rug cleaning plant to make 'transporting only' a profitable service.

So....how much faster is that "machine made" rug completed in?
and...can anyone tell?
A rug made on one of the new Belgian Wilton machines can be woven in a few minutes. It really doesn't take much observation to see the difference between man and machine made rugs. A reasonably observant person could learn this first step in under five minutes.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We have well over 100 carpet cleaners and dry cleaners that use us for their clients rug cleaning through bringing to us or us picking up and delivering from their locations. It is a great wholesale bus for any rug plant.

Jose Smith

Mikey P said:
Two very well established ones and a brand new one from a Talisman defect.

I know of Clean Care by Millers. I just visited their location last month. I was very impressed (Moore, duster, large wash floor, and drying room). Are you planning on going that route with your plant?

Mikey P

Administrator
Millers is not in my "area".

Mike West built that plant and sold it to a goof who is quickly ruining Mike's hard earned reputation.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
What about all the guys in the bay area & San Jose any of them market or make trips south to your area?
What is your price(s) for cleaning and what other rug services do you offer.

G

My friend works at Hagopain and he made over 60K last year!!!

Not bad for a cleaning tech!!

Back
Top Bottom