What this valve do?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have alway kept it open and thought nothing of it.. The hose goes back to the waterbox. My Peak gets hotter then my Apex, is this the reason? I know the Peak has to run harder at a high RPM, but just seems wierd?

This one here:
View attachment 451

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I am willing to bet that there is an orifice disk or a filter screen in there and you shut the valve off to pull it out and clean it.....

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Jim is right and your supposed to clean the screen in there. Do not lose the orifice disc! If your not getting the heat descale your machine and clean the orifice. The apex should be blazing hot.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Well it gets plenty hot to clean, but I'll try to descale... Oriface disk? I that the thing that is suppost to go on the bottom of the screen?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Well it gets plenty hot to clean, but I'll try to descale... Oriface disk? I that the thing that is suppost to go on the bottom of the screen?

not always .....from the picture I would say that you have just a orifice disk in there....sometimes when you have problems with your heat..it can be something as simple as a plugged orifice.....

if you are going to do a descale......it is always good to pull the disk out and any in line filters so they do not get plugged up.......

Able 1

Name
Keith
Also Prochem has machine manuals in pdf form online. Good to read the one thats for Your machine.

Of course posting here is quicker

AND I missed the point in the manual that talks about flushing out your blower instead of WD every day... I do like Prochems PDF's though.

WTF is the orifice disk?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
AND I missed the point in the manual that talks about flushing out your blower instead of WD every day... I do like Prochems PDF's though.

WTF is the orifice disk?

round flat disk with a hole in the center....the hole comes in different sizes.....

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
I have alway kept it open and thought nothing of it.. The hose goes back to the waterbox. My Peak gets hotter then my Apex, is this the reason? I know the Peak has to run harder at a high RPM, but just seems wierd?

This one here:
View attachment 451

This is your temperature balance shutoff orifice valve.

If it is dirty or blocked you'll actually increase temps, not decrease.

It is meant to be kept open to balance solution temp. for single wanding. Supposed to be closed only when you two wand to increase solution temperature. You can get more heat for single wanding - I just wouldn't set the wand down if you do, and that doesn't fix needing descaled or removing carbon buildup as per below.

How many hours on the Apex? One of the most overlooked maintenance items on all the prochem units (and one of the biggest culprits for heat loss - ESPECIALLY on the Apex D's) - is cleaning the HX's. Supposed to be done every 500 hours - and it makes a night and day difference with our Apex D's.

Scale affects the inside of the tubes, carbon buildup affects the outside tube and fins, both take away from efficiency. Inside and out need regular attention (unless you get a softner, than you'll never descale again).

On gas PC units we have found it's needed to pull and clean the HX's every 500-1000, on the diesel units, every 500.

We run Peaks, and Apex D's - is yours a D or gas? Our Peaks will get hotter than the Apex D's on most days, keep in mind diesel doesn't burn as hot as gas, even with an extra cylinder burning - but both get and stay blazing hot.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I have 2,100 on my Apex.. It's the gas model.. I have one of those console water tanks so I clean the heat ex'ers any time I do any work about every 500 hours(I have to remove the front seats and the tank:madd:). I got what you guy's are saying about the disk, it's in the check valve right? I fill up with 165gals of soft water in the morning, and just top off if I need to so I'm not sure I will have much scale.. Indy is your exhaust wrapped? Mine was, but I bought it used and it fell apart and never re-wrapped it, maybe another thing for me to look at? So if I have a nasty resturant to clean, I would want to close that valve?

How many hours do you have on yours? I like the fact that the Apex has a bigger motor, but I'm not so sure which one I will buy next.. Do you like your Peak over of Apex?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
WTF is the orifice disk?

phy180-009_lg.jpg

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Able, the Peak and Apex exhausts have been known to fracture where they meet, have only had one go on me, and wrapping them can contribute to it happening. They are so short that I doubt you'd notice any heat gain atw. Some guys have said it helps belt longevity however. I have changing the blower belts to a science on them, I can have them changed in 15-20 minutes, and we only have to change them once every 12-18 months on average so it's not worth it for me.

I have the century avenger 600's (which for all intents and purposes, is a peak) - I want to say 700 ish hours. The Apex's vary from 600-800 ish. I turn my equipment over every 2-3 years, current gear is about halfway there.

Mine are diesels so they don't get as hot as the gas apex's - on a normal spring/summer day heat is a little higher (very little) on the 600/peak's than the apex d's, in the colder months I'd say the avenger 600/peak does better - but the apex has more suck. At the end of the day there is so little difference with single wanding it's 6 in one hand half dozen in the other.

What van do you have? I installed my tm's back (or leftward looking in the side) a few extra inches, I also use the console tank, and have enough room to get the hx'ers out without having to remove anything other than the hose from the waste tank.

Also, the back hx's have brass you can put a wrench on, the frontward one uses barbs so as I'm sure you know they are buggers, I pull the back two and clean them out of the tm, and leave the frontward one in, clean it in the box. I just connect another tm to suck the exhaust port when I do so. Bc I don't have to yank anything else, I can clean the hx'ers in 30 minutes this way.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Able 1

Name
Keith
Able, the Peak and Apex exhausts have been known to fracture where they meet, have only had one go on me, and wrapping them can contribute to it happening. They are so short that I doubt you'd notice any heat gain atw. Some guys have said it helps belt longevity however. I have changing the blower belts to a science on them, I can have them changed in 15-20 minutes, and we only have to change them once every 12-18 months on average so it's not worth it for me.

I have gone through a few manifolds on my Peak.. I am a belt changing expert myself though I don't have a problem like I use to since changing to the 2.5 hose, the belts go forever.

I have the century avenger 600's (which for all intents and purposes, is a peak) - I want to say 700 ish hours. The Apex's vary from 600-800 ish. I turn my equipment over every 2-3 years, current gear is about halfway there.

Interesting you sell them at around 1,200 to 1,600 hours? Thats like brand new! With your mechanical ability I would think it would make more sense to run your equipment into the ground? Talk to me next time you sell..

Mine are diesels so they don't get as hot as the gas apex's - on a normal spring/summer day heat is a little higher (very little) on the 600/peak's than the apex d's, in the colder months I'd say the avenger 600/peak does better - but the apex has more suck. At the end of the day there is so little difference with single wanding it's 6 in one hand half dozen in the other.

I have been working my Peak for the last two weeks and I'm kind of torn over what I will buy next.. I think the motor on the Apex is good for over 6,000 hours I guess I'll ride it out and see.

What van do you have? I installed my tm's back (or leftward looking in the side) a few extra inches, I also use the console tank, and have enough room to get the hx'ers out without having to remove anything other than the hose from the waste tank.

I bought this equipment used so I had no imput on how it was set up, and the van(E-350) has a sliding door so i wouldn't want to have it any further to the left.. I can't even get to the bolts under the blower..

Also, the back hx's have brass you can put a wrench on, the frontward one uses barbs so as I'm sure you know they are buggers, I pull the back two and clean them out of the tm, and leave the frontward one in, clean it in the box. I just connect another tm to suck the exhaust port when I do so. Bc I don't have to yank anything else, I can clean the hx'ers in 30 minutes this way.

Great tip!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom