What to get with 175 scrubber?

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Hi guys,
I'm going to get a 175 to add a high level of agitation to my prespray routine followed by HWE. It looks like they make a great carpet brush for this purpose. What other brushes/pads should I get to make the most out of this machine? I'd like to use it to scrub tile and grout if possible, also some bonnets for encap seems to be an option too. What color pads work best on tile/grout? Is there a brush that works better? Should I get a tank? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I would like into a GLS/Whittaker CRB vs a heavy 175, if you go used you'll pay more on the CRB but it'll be lighter and it'll do a better job to prescrub. Also if you can swing it, I'd look into a 360i, they make heads w/ brushes, tile head, bonnet heads, etc etc. Ever since I've gotten my 360i I have yet to have a need to prescrub, but I don't know if you're doing trashed jobs. It just makes work so much easier.

Reactions: Russ T.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I would like into a GLS/Whittaker CRB vs a heavy 175, if you go used you'll pay more on the CRB but it'll be lighter and it'll do a better job to prescrub. Also if you can swing it, I'd look into a 360i, they make heads w/ brushes, tile head, bonnet heads, etc etc. Ever since I've gotten my 360i I have yet to have a need to prescrub, but I don't know if you're doing trashed jobs. It just makes work so much easier.

I've never scrubbed with anything but a Grandi Groomer and I've never owned a Rotary extractor. I do clean nasty apartments occasionally because I serve a large college town. I do work alone so the 360i seemed pretty attractive but the general consensus seems to be that there is no substitute for a prescrub using a 175 machine. I will also look into a RE for probably my next big purchase. Is there a brush to put on the 360i that's used for prescrub? There is already very little room in my van...thanks.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
The 175 is a very versital piece of equipment.
-Black pads for stripping VCT
-red for scrubbing nasty cArpet
- brush can be used for pre scrubbing carpet or oriental rugs (break it in by running about 20-30 minutes on concrete first)
-brush or beige pad for encapping
I have never used it to pre scrub tile so I wouldn't know

Reactions: Russ T.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I have an OP machine which I have yet to use it to prescrub.

When I wand, I'd have to prescrub trashed here and there, but w/ the 360i I have yet to have the need, especially on trashed.

The 175 just takes too much room if you don't already have room in the truck.

Name
Steve Lawrence
I read a lot here, too, about how indispensable a 175 is. We never use them. I prefer the versatility of an OP machine which I feel does a better job on tile and also can precondition or post pad a carpet. OP with a cotton pad is also a good stand alone system for some commercial carpets. 2 cents.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I read a lot here, too, about how indispensable a 175 is. We never use them. I prefer the versatility of an OP machine which I feel does a better job on tile and also can precondition or post pad a carpet. OP with a cotton pad is also a good stand alone system for some commercial carpets. 2 cents.

What does "OP" machine? Are you calling a 360i an OP? What I'm really after is a tool(s) that can help me be a better carpet cleaner. Better in quality and efficiency. I use a smaller truckmount that is limited in the heat it produces while using high flow. I work alone for now and don't want a small 360i to slow me down, but maybe I'm just not getting it. MB has been really helpful to me because I don't have a supplier close by. 2.5 hours to Omaha Interlink. I wish I could demo a bunch of different things then buy what I need. As a small biz owner, I have to be very careful how I spend my $$$. The Spring rush hasn't quite hit central IA yet...thanks for the help!

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I wholeheartedly disagree with the thought that an OP machine is better. "OP" is short for oscilating pad machine. I have had both and a 175 will do many things an OP wont and most things an OP will so a 175 is a MUCH better investment in the beginning of a business.

As for pad get these to prescrub carpet with. http://www.excellent-supply.com/PADS-BONNETS_c_66.html of course make sure you get the right size for the machine you buy.

AND watch some videos on youtube to learn a ton on the subject.

Reactions: Mikey P

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
A 175 can also be had for about a 10th of the cost of an OP machine. Haven't used a 175 in years but it is a versatile option for very little money.

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
I think everyone around here calls it a GLS? It is two cylindrical brush's that rotate towards each other. They are used for encap but work great as a prescrub before extraction. They are more gentle to the carpet and pull all the nastys out amazingly. It doesn't swirl the carpet instead it grooms it straight up leaving a natural appearance. Making extraction a breeze. I use one made by Masterblend and only weights 40 pounds. Interlink sells another brand called brush-pro I think. This you can encap, prescrub carpet and tile.

Mikey P

Administrator
You guys are putting the wagon in front of the horse. There should be a natural progression to the tools we purchase. Following fads and spending funds that are in short supply on niche tool is foolish.

Russ needs to speed up and improve his cleaning process. IMO this will be best accomplished with a 175 and an assortment of brushes and pads.
He can pre scrub CGD with fiber pads.
He can pre scrub pile carpet with a Clean Freak Brush
He can post bonnet areas with cotton/OP pads.
He can scrub grout with a Nylagrit brush
He can shampoo/encap by adding a tank
He can strip topicals or vct wax
He can hone and polish some stone floors
He can scrub (and rinse) garage floors and decks

all with a $600 machine!

Clean Freak shampoo brush, Tuways, Cottons, White, Hogshair, Red, Black and a Sling Ring made from garden edge plastic to contain solution when working really wet situations.

Later on he can score an RE.

Then a Cimex.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Having owned 4 different OP machines, 2 heavy 175's, and building a 6 figure business w/ OP only, I disagree, just imo.

You can buy orbitech's on eBay these days for $300-$800 bucks, I've seen them but I don't have a need for either type of machines in my type of work. But If I were doing commercial I'd skip the 175 and just get an used cimex, again craigslist - $800-1200 market value nowadays.

I'd get the GLS since it's lightweight for carpet/tile, he didn't mention anything about stone, vct, deck, garage, concrete, the guy is trying to do one thing at a time. Expanding himself too quickly imo is not a good thing. Most businesses in the beginning want to do 15 services but than quickly realize the top 3 common services are more profitable. Stone polishing he'll still need another 800-1000 in extra equipment to do it "right" w/ "pads", I wouldn't recommend it w/ someone on a tight budget.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Guys he didnt ask for an internet argument over what is the best,best,best tool to use for agitation...

Just a simple question what are options to add on, i am with mikey for the most part.

1. carpet brush, you can use for tile/grout also

2. Tank for commercial glue down

3. encap bonnet pads and fiber plus pads {or white, off white and 1 red for emergency use}

Keep it simple..., you can always add on over time.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Please let me know when you see a used cimex for $800-$1200. I hardly ever see them for sale at all much less for that price.

Also tell me about that nylagrit brush. Does it really get down in the grout lines?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Guys, I really appreciate all the help.
This is what I love about MB. I can come on here and ask a question and in no time at all I've got 20 rug suckers going at each other from a bunch of different angles. Everybody has different experiences and needs. I'm wishing I had a rich dad or uncle or something because I've got some real challenges coming up. I've recently added quite a bit of work for us. Some are fairly large buildings full of CGD. 2 weekends ago, I cleaned @ 10,000 square feet in a facility by myself with my small truckmount and 12" porty wand. I'm only 37 so the Kid's still got some fight in him but I started to consider my options. I have another, much larger building (@40,000 square feet of carpet) to clean very soon as well as others in the 10,000 sq. ft range. The solution to all this CGD is encap. I need a machine that can efficiently and effectively clean CGD. I'd like a Whittaker(I used one a lot as Lead Custodian at a comm. college) or Cimex but don't have the cash at the moment. As you all know, some of these commercial accounts take up to 30 days to pay.
I also do a fair amount of residential and rental work. These bring their own challenges. I want to make these guys say "wow" and tell their friends. Add to it that I work alone most of the time.... in a van with hardly any room. My one part time guy handles some janitorial work for us but that's it. Anyway, thanks for the help. These are basically the ramblings of a small business owner who has a little time on his hands at the moment but is gearing up for probably the most important and exciting summers in our brief history as a CC in this area. Thanks again!

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Urgent! Hey Mikey you posted
He can scrub grout with a Nylagrit brushes.

Do these really work ? Have you used them? I have a very large Job coming up that has the 2inch square tiles and I was looking at the Gunn Brushes then you posted this. If they will really get down in the grout lines that would be awesome because I wasn't even looking forward to watching the grunt guy scrub all these grout lines! This in itself would make the 175 invaluable on this job!

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Maybe you could rent a Cimex from a distributor or from another cleaner you are friends with?

Closest distributer is 2.5 hours away and I loathe my competition so much it's hard to look at them let alone ask for help...kidding, just want to be careful :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom