What tools do I need for large commercial jobs?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I have mostly been doing residential and small commercial jobs.Just me and Wanda:)
Lately I get more calls for bigger commercial places, office buildings a Big 5 store and now a Staples.Some places let me break it up into two nights, but not this Staples job.
I have an old CDS which has been working great
I'm starting to realize that I need to get some new tools for these type of jobs.
I don't want to spent the most money possible but I also don't want to cheap out.
I don't know much about what I might need to step up. I have been cleaning with my CDS using the wand and enzymes., getting really good results.
But what do I need to have for these bigger jobs? Can you guys give me some pointers?
Thanks

realclean

Name
Jesse Lowe
If most of these jobs are glue down, you may want to look at a Zipper wand, but the biggest thing would be a helper if you are working alone.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I'll pass on the helper, I'm not antisocial but I'm really not that interested in having to relate to somebody other that my customers when I work. But the Zipper looks interesting. I thought I might have to get one of those heavy rotary machines. So the Zipper does not have anything that makes it move forward on it's own, seems like it. But on the video it looks really effective. I have a older CDS ( no salsa package). The Zipper with it's 6 jets seems to be drawing quite a bit of water and heat. Do you guys think it could still work properly if I had the 15" Zipper?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'll pass on the helper, I'm not antisocial but I'm really not that interested in having to relate to somebody other that my customers when I work. But the Zipper looks interesting. I thought I might have to get one of those heavy rotary machines. So the Zipper does not have anything that makes it move forward on it's own, seems like it. But on the video it looks really effective. I have a older CDS ( no salsa package). The Zipper with it's 6 jets seems to be drawing quite a bit of water and heat. Do you guys think it could still work properly if I had the 15" Zipper?
If your heat exchangers are still working properly (make sure you descale them often) a Zipper or especially a Zipper spinner tool will probably be the easiest tool to work with for that type of carpet. The rotovac with the brush head is another option. It's a toss up to say which will be more effective. I think the Zipper will give you better flushing and extraction but the rotovac brush will be more agressive on heavily soiled carpet. It would be nice to try before you buy.

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
I think my heat exchangers are good on my machine. We have relatively soft water where I live. I also run it through a softener into my Fresh water tank. I was thinking that might be enough. What do you think? I have actually never descaled my CDS machine. I don't even know how that is done :) I am worried that running harsh chemicals might actually shorten the lifespan of my heat exchangers. Is that something I should be concerned about?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think my heat exchangers are good on my machine. We have relatively soft water where I live. I also run it through a softener into my Fresh water tank. I was thinking that might be enough. What do you think? I have actually never descaled my CDS machine. I don't even know how that is done :) I am worried that running harsh chemicals might actually shorten the lifespan of my heat exchangers. Is that something I should be concerned about?
I use double strength vinegar. (10 percent vinegar) you can pour in your mixing tank, make sure it's empty first. I would pour 2-3 gallons in the mixing tank with the unit running. Take a bleed hose and recirculate it in your mix tank, then flush it out. It will remove scale from hardwater and detergent residue that has built up over time. Good to do it once a year. You'll be surprised at the sxtra heat.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
I'll pass on the helper, I'm not antisocial but I'm really not that interested in having to relate to somebody other that my customers when I work.

You need to SERIOUSLY re-think what a helper can mean to you and your business.

Having someone at you command for even the most basic tasks can be a HUGE benefit, especially on bigger jobs with a greater number of menial tasks to perform that YOU should not be doing yourself, and can shave hours off of such gigs and lessen the need for you to be killing yourself.

No reason you alone should be vacuuming, moving chairs and small items around, filling sprayers, fetching things, and humping everything in and out yourself on big gigs.

Huge help even at the most basic level, nonetheless having someone with half a brain that can stay ahead of you and vac, prep, pre-spray
(separate power-sprayer), scrub, de-gum your next areas for you so you can stay on the wand longer which is vital to your production rates, and will allow you more resources to focus on the key elements of the gig.

Although it's probably not a bad thing, your under no obligation to necessarily relate to your help in any big way, only to get them to do what you need them to do in return for you giving them money.

Try grabbing a relative or buddy looking to make a few extra bucks on your next big gig and you'll see the difference.

How much can you grow doing everything yourself?

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
There are 3 different sizes of jets that can be used on the Zipper Wands. Your CDS can probably handle a 15 inch but also some questions would be how long of hose runs are you doing. The longer the hose length the more efficiency that will be lost.

Even a smaller 13 inch Zipper Wand can cover a lot of ground and make your job easier, but there have also been some other good suggestions given in this thread too. If you could answer my hose length question and maybe tell me what you are using for a wand now, I might be able to let you know what size and jetting might work if you look at a Zipper more seriously

steve_64

If not a cimex a buffer and grey pads maybe some bonnets for the bad areas to remove some soil.

Leave the big truck at home because it will all fit in a compact car too.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Nate W.
I have a older CDS ( no salsa package). The Zipper with it's 6 jets seems to be drawing quite a bit of water and heat. Do you guys think it could still work properly if I had the 15" Zipper?

I believe @gimmeagig has an Ex-D.A. Burns CDS unit....... Right @The Great Oz ???

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom