What will get better mileage?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I get the exact same gas mileage with my cab over as I got with the van and CDS set up....I am getting better gas mileage then the UD and pumping cheaper gas......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Never checked but if you went by ride only I'd chose the box van.
The cabover's look great, but the ride sucks!

Although the new ones sure look nice, they have Ford's Low Cab Forward look to them.

2011_van_loading.jpg

2011_utility_front_view.jpg

2011_family_isuzu.jpg

I personally would get an extended cargo with 6.0L engine.

If you set it up right, you can get everything you need in there and still have room left over.

Mike Draper

the W-3500 i just purchased (which is an isuzu npr) has a nicer ride than my van. It's quieter, and a softer ride, sometimes its bouncy. I talked with some people about the van with box vs the cab over and supposedly the mileage is the same. I dont think the transmissions are as nice in the van/box combo's.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Typically the class 4 cabovers are diesels, and now even the larger ones are powered by turbo four cylinder engines. They'll get better mileage than a cutaway van and box powered by a gas or diesel V-8. They'll cost more too, so make sure your greater mileage payback will be within an acceptable timeframe. You don't want to be like those hybrid buyers that will break even on fuel costs three years after the vehicle is junked.

That being said, our FUSO delivery trucks are cabovers with automatics, and they get between 16 and 18 MPG. Our much smaller Ford cutaways got between 6 and 8 MPG. Pretty quick payback.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Daniel you can do it, but it's just not as convenient, especially when you need something from the middle of the truck and need to nearly unload to get it.

Mike D. the bouncy is what I tire of, just too much of it.

I use to like the big truck feel, but when you can't turn the radio up or take a drink of a liquid because of the bouncing it makes me like the box better.

Oz the only negative is repairs, anytime one of our diesel's goes it, it's noticeably higher than standard gas. I guess they get you either way! thathurts

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
danielc said:
I personally would get an extended cargo with 6.0L engine.

If you set it up right, you can get everything you need in there and still have room left over.

have you not read his other posts.....

hes leaning toward something that wont work in a van...

with that said...

i hear the sprinter boxes are nice.....you get that good MPG engine and torque, and the open of a box...just a matter of finding the right size cab chassis...

if that doesnt work, then i like the van type fronts....the cab overs are bouncy as hell, but lessin some when loaded

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the Chevy W4500 has a very smooth ride....not bounce to it....lots of power...built to haul the weight we can put in them..with no strain on the motor or chassis.......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That sounds good!

They always improve them after I buy them.

Oh well, now I have a few low mileage bouncing ones I'd like to trade in. :mrgreen:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Mercedes Sprinters are nice, very clean running diesel, lots of power. Apparently they increased the brake capacity as well. Its a narrow box which has pros and cons, its also lower to the ground so easier to get in and out of. Very nice ride.

minuteman

Right now the main truck is a ford E350 12' box w/lift, millage sucks, 8 to the gal no matter what., ride sucks also, u have to install Firestone air bags to stop the side to side sway & bounce at 65 mph . I'm looking at the diesel NPR or Hino this month to change over to. Better millage & ride all the way around...most of all they can handle the weight load I carry of around 3.5K with ease.

Greg

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Mike Draper said:
the W-3500 i just purchased (which is an isuzu npr) has a nicer ride than my van. It's quieter, and a softer ride, sometimes its bouncy. I talked with some people about the van with box vs the cab over and supposedly the mileage is the same. I dont think the transmissions are as nice in the van/box combo's.

is this the truck you will be putting that bad ass looking judson unit in?

Mike Draper

dealtimeman said:
Mike Draper said:

is this the truck you will be putting that bad ass looking judson unit in?

yes. pics will be up in a couple of weeks.

jwfoulk

Ive been thinking about putting my unit into a box van or a cabover. Right now i'm in an extended van and am out of room. Do you guys have any recomendations on box size and what is the typical height from the ground to the roof? Gotta make sure I can still get it into the garage. Any input is appreciated.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Justin
We have boxes in several heights and lengths in our fleet, most are 14-ft long. You have plenty of room to haul the basics plus, room for much more.

You can get the boxes that sit on top, or cut out for the wheels that will sit lower and allow you to fit them in smaller garages.

97991036_1thumb_550x410.jpg

97657316_1thumb_550x410.jpg

jwfoulk

The doors to my shop are 10 x 10. Just wanted to make sure whatever I get is gonna fit. Thanks

Mike Draper

It only cost me $400 in material to fully insulated my truck box. That included plywood walls and r19 insulation.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
jwfoulk said:
The doors to my shop are 10 x 10. Just wanted to make sure whatever I get is gonna fit. Thanks

uhhhh most boxes probably wont fit....

go test drive some and take them to the shop to see if they fit...

if all you do is carpet, then a noce 10 or 12' would be like heaven to ya

Back
Top Bottom