What would you charge to clean this?

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
This is silk. I was wondering what others would quote for this from this picture.

SOFA_1.jpg

How many loose back pillows?, Any measurements? What is the condition of the arms, head rest, wear areas? Any spots? What is the customers main concern?

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Less than 6 months old, remodel / construction dust/dirt... I will be dry using dry cleaning / solvent / process. Very high end golf club community, no measurements.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I have already quoted $35.00-$50.00 per linear ft., Loose cushions / pillows are of course extra, but was wondering what others charge.
Mark, I know you charge more than I do, I'm trying! I tried to price this as I thought you would...lol

hogjowl

Idiot™
I don't know how you could price that so high while using a system that doesn't clean.

That'd be like charging 50 cents a s.f. to clean carpets and then pulling up with a Nordic 1. :roll:

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I fully expect to take as much or more time vacuuming than the actual dry cleaning process. I'm not just charging for the cleaning...I charge to generate a certain dollar per hour revenues, including prep time, drive time, production time , materials, as well as fixed and floating overhead, profit ect. IMHO this is standard business practice. Were you sleeping day 1 of SFS? I thought Mr. Violand was very clear about the numbers...

diamond brian

What a beautiful home! I wonder how they pulled it down the road with all those windows?

Seriously, I don't get invited to homes with furniture like that. Price? Wouldn't know where to start.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I posted a question about cleaning a silk sofa a while back, like over a year. Bob Foster was there helping me, we used his porty.
I charged $30/lin ft. It wasn't as fancy as that one. I steam cleaned it using an almost neutral cleaner, wetting the whole, then rinsing. I was using a Drimaster tool at the time. The Hydrokinetic would be beautiful on this with its teflon head, set it at ~200psi, would leave it almost dry.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Marty,
FYI
Silk is used in more expensive upholstery fabrics and older period furniture pieces.
It is commonly used for moire, matelasse, brocatelle, and damask fabrics.
Some silk fabrics can be wet cleaned with caution, but more often they are dry cleaned. If wet cleaned, use mild solutions and beware of water spotting or water marks. Silk fabric becomes weaker when wet, tend to waterspot if not specially finished, and in some constructions silk fabrics have low abrasion resistance.

Ron, some can be wet cleaned, some you are better not too. I quote it like this, and after a real on site inspection (not just a photo), I may determine it to be safely wet cleanable...but to be on the safe side I will always quote on the side of caution.
P.S. Some of us have great success removing soil with dry solvent type cleaners when they are used properly on a variety of fabrics.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
$50 ft , you can pay me to come up and help you. Wonder what a AT vacuum would do to that fabric?

Never cleaned anything like that, so no help on the price. I think you are on the right track. That would be a great job for the referrals and free advertising. Just drive around the neighborhood 4 or 5 times after you finish.

Go get'em.

Jose Smith

Wow. If a fabric is slightly soiled, or if there are no present water soluble soils to speak of, why would you not dry clean a fabric.

Vacuuming WILL remove dry soils. Dry cleaning solvents WILL dissolve oil based soils. To apply moisture to a fabric that can be damaged by moisture, or could very likely have finishes on it (sizing, metallic compounds) that can be easily damaged by moisture is extremely foolish.

I hope the person who thinks this method is not a valid cleaning method (which has a correct time and place to be used) is either kidding or stays away from fabrics until they get a better understanding of them.

Jose Smith

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
$250.00-$300.00 depending on how long it would take to setup clean and tear down.

Cover the floor, Hepa vacuum and spray an towel OMS.

I'd have a little concern with odor if the homeowner planned on being home while I was working.

Easy work!

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I hate dry cleaning. Hate the smell, hate the legal disposal, hate the PPE, and hate the results if it has any water soluble soiling

BUT I would hate replacing what must be at least a 10,000.00 piece even more so I would dry clean it if it is not heavily soiled.

I would be much closer to 500.00. All those throw pillows are going to be time consuming. This is one of those pieces that if you give a cheap price the customer will think you don't know what you are doing.

And if she is looking for a cheap price I would be long gone.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Thank You everyone for your responses...
Like I said, This was a send picture and want a quote deal, where they called me as the expert, so I gave what I thought was a fair response. Some responses here, I'm sure were meant as a joke (if not OMG), otherwise thank you all for just supporting my origional thoughts.

TLC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom