What would you do, if....

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
...you were going to replace vans and equipment in about a year (or less)?

Would you go for a nice new Transit/Sprinter/ProMaster and drop a SS570/870 in there? Or would you try to go old school with a gas guzzler Chevy paired with Pro1200 or Butler unit?

Do I dare asking YOU- Sapphire and Butler reps: Any of you working on a Transit/Promaster direct drive-pto type unit that we might want to wait for??

Did the guy in Phred's Butler video tried not letting us see maybe one of the new vans being worked on with a Butler set-up? :lol:

*grabs popcorn*

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I would say part of the decision (in colder areas), would be whether or not the van fits your garage or shop. I had only 8 foot high doors on my last shop, and now have 12 foot high doors, so I'm pretty open to any size van, including box vans.

Mikey P

Administrator
What will Hagopian do is the question..

Butler says that GMC will continue to produce the Savannah/ Express until 2020 so its going to take a while to find out.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I would say part of the decision (in colder areas), would be whether or not the van fits your garage or shop. I had only 8 foot high doors on my last shop, and now have 12 foot high doors, so I'm pretty open to any size van, including box vans.

If you're operating in cold weather areas, it's a lot easier to just have a shop (or decent garage) to keep the whole vehicle warm when not cleaning. Mine stays at 50* while in the shop. Too much risk and trouble to try to leave TM outside and heat the interior with a heater. That alone causes a lot of condensation inside the van while it's being stored and heated outside. Been there, done that.

Reactions: jcooper

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
...you were going to replace vans and equipment in about a year (or less)?

Unlike last time, I'd wait a couple/few years before I'm jumping on ANY NEWLY DESIGNED van or tm... Give them some time to work out the bugs BEFORE I buy... And you know there will be bugs. People told me to wait, I thought a year was enough, it wasn't!

Very frustrating seeing the same tm as ours, but with all the issues fixed!

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Mikey, that's only about 4-5 years...so they must have an idea how they will proceed... I would think they are already working on the newer designs.

And in some areas you might look pretty out dated with and old school GMC in 5 years (in the midst of all the new vans) even if it's bread new...

Mikey P

Administrator
Unlike last time, I'd wait a couple/few years before I'm jumping on ANY NEWLY DESIGNED van or tm... Give them some time to work out the bugs BEFORE I buy... And you know there will be bugs. People told me to wait, I thought a year was enough, it wasn't!

Very frustrating seeing the same tm as ours, but with all the issues fixed!

What set up are you referring to?

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Due to parking regulations in SF-- You Cant park regular vans in most driveways!-- and obtaining Street parking in front of homes is a major challenge.
I fear my next set-up may have to be One of those small Transits with an ETM!!
I'm selling my Vortex to fund this setup--- AND That Sucks!:hopeless:

Chris A

Name
Chris
I'm waiting it out, I refuse to buy a new version of what already have. I have no doubt somebody will have a direct drive for the new vans soon

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
. I have no doubt somebody will have a direct drive for the new vans soon

Well...I can't imagine having Butler SS Hydramaster all saying we are done in about 4-5 years when most of the dinosaur vans go away. Specially Butler, since the others do have very good slide ins, in case they decide to not engineer new direct drives.

So yes, they have to have a plan...I mean a lot of us small businesses plan 3-5-7 years ahead. We would think the major manufacturers do the same..

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah I would have a real hard time borrowing 60k to purchase 2003 technology (which is mainly just rebadged 1990s technology

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Yeah but then guys will want to wait a couple years while the new platform works out any "bugs"
This is endless... :dejection:

Couple years ago it was gas prices that were going to end pto's.

The technology is probably 100 years old from farm equipment.
Nothing really to change but couple hyper-technical details.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I could put a direct drive in a Toyota Sienna in a week. Belt drive off the front (Pass side), It's not insurmountable to do cds or pto on transverse engines.

I remember when the Oldsmobile Toronado came out and so many goobers marveled over the difficulty of front wheel drive.

F

FB7777

The big boys will figure this out while Chicken Cobble runs around telling everyone the sky is falling

Butler ain't going anywhere

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom