What would you do?

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I need to get out of my ambulance.

Option #1- I could cut into the header of my garage and add another 18 inches. So the opening would be at 9 ft and 6 inches. I am currently at 8 ft. Then I would have to get a custom box truck @ 6 grand and a new chasis for around 23 grand. This would allow me to keep it in my heated garage. Trust me there is nothing around 8 ft that I could keep in my garage. 3 months out of the year its fooking cold here no light bulb is going to keep it warm.

Option#2-I could get a nice box truck with 56 thousand miles on it for 11 g's. To keep it warm I am going to put a 1000 bucks into a RV heating furnace it can be done I will have propane already. Plus another grand for a side door and steps.

Which one would you do?

Golden Boy

G

I would sell all of my crap and move to a warmer place,or at least get a winter home. :D

Chris A

Name
Chris
why not go with option 2, AND add to your garage and you'd still be farther ahead. Think of the time saved just in scraping snow.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Waldo said:
I need to get out of my ambulance.

Option #1- I could cut into the header of my garage and add another 18 inches. /quote]

"cut into" the header?

you mean "raise" the header 18", right?
That's a load baring wall, you just can't "cut into" the header

What kind of estimates have you gotten from "reputable" contractors?

It's not a "do it yourself" job.
You'll also need building permits

If you plan on living at your home long term, and have no tentative plans (or lot space) to build a new shop/garage in the next 5 years, I'd opt for raising the door.
(unless it would be cost prohibitive due to structural/architectural design of original garage)

That way future truck purchases won't be based on door height

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
c_adkins said:
yeah, like I said, listen to Larry!

LOL

I like your idea too

do both, new truck and garage door

shouldn't be a problem for "hi-end" big baller like Wal-DOH.......

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd raise the door and buy the new van if you have the money available and the work to support the purchase.

What if instead of new, you bought the 56,0000 mile truck but replaced the standard box with the custom box?

Then you would only be out the $11,000.00 and the $6,000.00 for the new box.

You should be able to the get side door and cut down box for the $6,000.00.

Total $17,000.00 and you should be fine for years!

Brown Cargo in Lawrence, KS will even cut the exisiting box down and add a side door if you wanted to go that route.

browncargo.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom