What would you do??

kevinj61

had a new customer call me on Saturday, wanted his carpets cleaned next day which is Sunday and a holiday weekend 4th of July>
location of his home 35 min drive each way so 1hr and 10 min drive time for me. He knew my per room, hallway and stair charge before he called, gave him the price over the phone and added $35 to it due to drive time, short notice, a Sunday and holiday weekend--he said well i think thats too much, said he'd call me back. took him an hour to call back and i assume he tried to call other cleaners, when he called back he said i'll pay you but not the extra $35 because it's not my problem to pay you to drive around.
explained to him reason for extra charge, said sorry that's my price, you don't have to use me and are more than welcome to call someone else--So what would you have done??

kevinj61

Mikey P said:
Charged him an extra $350.

My Sundays off are worth a hell of a lot more than $35.

Yes, I agree, if he ever calls me back think I will just turn down the job altogether, he wasn't very nice on the phone
and i've learned "some customers you just don't want anyway"

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I would have put his number in my "ignore" file and not even answered it.

You're right some customers are not worth the money.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I would have done the same, but instead of charging him a trip free, I would have just raised my per room fee nearly double and called it holiday pricing.

Ken Snow will be here sometime soon to call us all jerks. :lol:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Every call does not have to be a client. This work is about making money and quality of life. I would of never agreed to work on this Sunday. I even turned down several for this Saturday since it is a holiday.

Mileage is for time and gas. Don't let your client dictate your terms.

I would of told them politely to piss off!!

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Kevin, it really just depends on how I feel. If I have nothing personal going on - what the hell, make a buck.

If it is a true emergency for an existing customer, I just do the job. We are the ones that they depend on.

New customer and it interrupts my zen time - what Mikey said. Your $35 upcharge was generous.

Mike Draper

bob vawter said:
I would of told them politely to piss off!!

example please?

"sounds like were not the right match for you. Another cleaner would be a better fit for you".

I had a guy call me once and need a job done in 1 days notice. Said he needed it done on a sunday. I told him price, he said other guy would do it for 30% less, I said to use the other guy. Called me back and I cleaned, it was a $300 an hour job and $1,200.00 job. This is the only way I would go out on my day off unless my family was starving.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I would just say no. I don't work on weekends. I am the boss, so I make the decisions.

That person is trouble and will want something for nothing. Likely very demanding. Surely will not be you customer for life but will only be a one time shot.

Of course we charge twice what other cleaners charge, so when I get those calls, they go away as soon as I tell them the price. I don't even have to say no, but I do enjoy saying it. Me bad.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
kevinj61 said:
Mikey P said:
Charged him an extra $350.

Yes, I agree, if he ever calls me back think I will just turn down the job altogether, he wasn't very nice on the phone

Unless he changed his attitude...I would do the same.

Some people are assholes on the phone and really OK in person. I've encountered that plenty.
The only thing that changes that is the priceshopper mentallity. I've found they are the same in person. Go figure.

This a good reason to establish yourself as a quality company and put some money in the bank.
Then you don't have to do jobs/customers like this.

When starting out I would have jumped on it because I started with nothing at all.....a couple times (divorce is an itch).

But thinking of these type of customers should encourage you...not discourage.
It creates a mindset of "I had better get my shit together so I don't have to put up with this kind of crap".

I would have told the guy "Do you really expect me to clean on a Sunday AND a big holiday weekend like this? Really? Are you working?"

He would have had to push me a bit but I HAVE come to a point in the past where suddenly the customer is no longer a customer and you need to tell them how it is....within reason. I mean wouldn't have specifically told him to F off or anything....but I'm sure he would get the idea.

Opie Cleaner

He was a POS.

I would have only cleaned for my very best customers on a Sunday, especially on a holiday weekend.

No one should have to work for someone like that

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Brian R said:
kevinj61 said:
[quote="Mikey P":2yh3tgz8]Charged him an extra $350.

Unless he changed his attitude...I would do the same.

Some people are assholes on the phone and really OK in person. I've encountered that plenty.
The only thing that changes that is the priceshopper mentallity. I've found they are the same in person. Go figure.

This a good reason to establish yourself as a quality company and put some money in the bank.
Then you don't have to do jobs/customers like this.

When starting out I would have jumped on it because I started with nothing at all.....a couple times (divorce is an itch).

But thinking of these type of customers should encourage you...not discourage.
It creates a mindset of "I had better get my shit together so I don't have to put up with this kind of crap".

I would have told the guy "Do you really expect me to clean on a Sunday AND a big holiday weekend like this? Really? Are you working?"

He would have had to push me a bit but I HAVE come to a point in the past where suddenly the customer is no longer a customer and you need to tell them how it is....within reason. I mean wouldn't have specifically told him to F off or anything....but I'm sure he would get the idea.[/quote:2yh3tgz8]
STEP BACK......put the Red Bull down.................... :lol:

dday

kevinj61 said:
had a new customer call me on Saturday, wanted his carpets cleaned next day which is Sunday and a holiday weekend 4th of July>
location of his home 35 min drive each way so 1hr and 10 min drive time for me. He knew my per room, hallway and stair charge before he called, gave him the price over the phone and added $35 to it due to drive time, short notice, a Sunday and holiday weekend--he said well i think thats too much, said he'd call me back. took him an hour to call back and i assume he tried to call other cleaners, when he called back he said i'll pay you but not the extra $35 because it's not my problem to pay you to drive around.
explained to him reason for extra charge, said sorry that's my price, you don't have to use me and are more than welcome to call someone else--So what would you have done??

I am not working today or tomorrow, but I have worked many July 4ths, Memorial Days, Labor Days, and plain old Sundays. If I had had the chance, I would have worked. But no one called requesting either today or tomorrow. Had they called, my policy is simple - any day of the year on which I choose to accept work which is not a Monday through Friday, non-holiday, I have a non-standard minimum, which is significantly higher than my standard minimum. That does not mean I work any time someone calls and offer me a work order. It simply means that if I choose to do the work, and if the customer requires that work to be performed on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, my holiday minimum is in effect. Anytime I pull the truck out of the driveway to go clean, I am happy to do it for that price, if I choose to do it.

Here is how I see your situation today: I have a price that if I choose to work, that is my price. You advertise your price as $21.95/room, $9.95/hall, $1.50/stair. If you are willing to clean for that price, then you should be willing to clean for it no matter what day of the year - if you choose to clean that day. You can choose to say, "sorry, I am off this weekend," or you can say, "sure, as you know I charge $21.95/room, $9.95/hall, and $1.50/ step, so based on the information you provided me your total will be $XX.00."

As far as the drive time, do you usually service that area or not? If not, then a travel charge is acceptable. If yes, then it is a part of your normal service area - do you usually charge a $35 travel charge to service your service area? If yes, then he either pays it or you do not do the work. But if you do not usually charge it any other day of the year, why do it today?

As I see it (again, you asked):

1) you choose either to work or to take the day off. If you choose to work, then that is on you, not the customer.

2) you need a policy pertaining to your service area and trip charges. You should not randomly pull them out of your ear based on whether you want a holiday or not.

3) You need to price your services so that you are happy to receive that price whenever you choose to accept a work order. I think that today shows that you yourself think your pricing is too low, even if you haven't admitted it to yourself.

All of that to say this: Your minimum is $75. Are you happy working for that amount? If not, raise it. If yes, but not on holidays or weekends, then do you have a holiday/weekend minimum? If not, then you need one. That way, when a customer calls in requesting a holiday or weekend appointment, you simply need to ask yourself 1) am I available? 2) Do I want the work? and 3) Is the customer willing either to order sufficient cleaning to meet your holiday minimum, or, willing to pay that minimum even if the amount of work falls short? Then you will not have to ask us what we would do, because you would already have done what you ought to have done.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Otis
thnaks for the refer a month back, appreciated

I cleaned a big yacht worth about a million last year, cabins and leather free shine up on the suede $450 I do alot of work for the guy and amother guy asked who do you use and I go and say buck said you need me. Gave hime the quote(same exact yacht almost just beat to all hell) I say $500 guy starts yelling at me. I said dude it is a 1000 plus job I thought you came from buck so I discounted it, call around I bet you don't get anything less than a grand. He says go **** yourself thief, starts calling while I am finishing a boat and comes up to me and says he felt bad and is going to give me the job. I told him no friggin way would I work for him, no matter how good I was he would find a problem and I don't have the time for that. He says "the other guy was like 1800" guess that is your problem, BTW bucks boat sold, his is still for sale

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Opie Cleaner said:
He was a POS.

I would have only cleaned for my very best customers on a Sunday, especially on a holiday weekend.

Agreed 150%, I don't even answer the phones in the evenings, sunday's or holidays. Everyone else is off, have some respect, we are a real business.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
dday said:
kevinj61 said:

I am not working today or tomorrow, but I have worked many July 4ths, Memorial Days, Labor Days, and plain old Sundays. If I had had the chance, I would have worked. But no one called requesting either today or tomorrow. Had they called, my policy is simple - any day of the year on which I choose to accept work which is not a Monday through Friday, non-holiday, I have a non-standard minimum, which is significantly higher than my standard minimum. That does not mean I work any time someone calls and offer me a work order. It simply means that if I choose to do the work, and if the customer requires that work to be performed on a Saturday, Sunday, or holiday, my holiday minimum is in effect. Anytime I pull the truck out of the driveway to go clean, I am happy to do it for that price, if I choose to do it.

Here is how I see your situation today: I have a price that if I choose to work, that is my price. You advertise your price as $21.95/room, $9.95/hall, $1.50/stair. If you are willing to clean for that price, then you should be willing to clean for it no matter what day of the year - if you choose to clean that day. You can choose to say, "sorry, I am off this weekend," or you can say, "sure, as you know I charge $21.95/room, $9.95/hall, and $1.50/ step, so based on the information you provided me your total will be $XX.00."

As far as the drive time, do you usually service that area or not? If not, then a travel charge is acceptable. If yes, then it is a part of your normal service area - do you usually charge a $35 travel charge to service your service area? If yes, then he either pays it or you do not do the work. But if you do not usually charge it any other day of the year, why do it today?

As I see it (again, you asked):

1) you choose either to work or to take the day off. If you choose to work, then that is on you, not the customer.

2) you need a policy pertaining to your service area and trip charges. You should not randomly pull them out of your ear based on whether you want a holiday or not.

3) You need to price your services so that you are happy to receive that price whenever you choose to accept a work order. I think that today shows that you yourself think your pricing is too low, even if you haven't admitted it to yourself.

All of that to say this: Your minimum is $75. Are you happy working for that amount? If not, raise it. If yes, but not on holidays or weekends, then do you have a holiday/weekend minimum? If not, then you need one. That way, when a customer calls in requesting a holiday or weekend appointment, you simply need to ask yourself 1) am I available? 2) Do I want the work? and 3) Is the customer willing either to order sufficient cleaning to meet your holiday minimum, or, willing to pay that minimum even if the amount of work falls short? Then you will not have to ask us what we would do, because you would already have done what you ought to have done.

A lot can be learned from this post, great information thanks David!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Obviously not many commercial cleaners here, or any that deal with dual income homes. I work lots of weekends while you guys are "resting". All humour aside, I find that working when there's work - for example, Mr and Mrs Piffleton both work - do it on the weekend or during the dinner hour. XYZ Limited needs the carpets done, best to do it on Saturday or Sunday. I take a weekday off to make up for it and get lots of holidays too, but I just work like shit when it's there. Positive cash flow is a positive thing.

You were right to blow that foolish person off - you would have opened a can of worms.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Sounds like one of THOSE, like what I encountered today.
They aren't worth your time and they have no respect for what we do.

I'll work 6days a week but I take my Sundays off. Never thought of raising my prices for a Sunday job. Has to REALLY need cleaning on THAT particular day for me to work Sundays.

As for working on a Holiday, I've probably worked 7 out of the last 10 Canada Days, happens to fall on the 1st of the month, ie move outs/ins. Emergency jobs: the tenants were supposed to clean and didn't, or the cleaner was supposed to show and didn't.

I've no problem at all working on the 4th !gotcha!

S

sam miller

Opie Cleaner said:
He was a POS.

Not to be rude, apart from a flood my VBC wouldnt even call to get work done on a Sunday!

You qoute a price its take it or leave it unless Your broke and need the money. Then You can change Your terms.

He was hoping You needed the money! Negotiating is always welcome as long as We get what we want!

I wouldnt even worry about it he's not worth a second thought.

trip fees are normal with gas as high as it is and if someone is to far away saying the only way I'll come is if You pay the

gas.

This is not an option its a necessity.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
kevinj61 said:

Are you F'n kidding, should have hung up on that douche bag!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom