What's been your best solution to removing Denim crocking from natural fabric sofas?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Lately I've been getting calls about removing denim (jeans) dye crocking off of natural fabric sofas. And yes,you guessed it, usually on white or light yellow or peach cottons or linen.

Vacuuming does not get it and any liquid (solvent as well as water based) has the potential of spreading the dyes and pushing them further into the fabric (more permanent dye damage). My best success was with soduim bisulfite based cleaners like the Haitian formula type. Results are unpredictable and vary greatly.

What's been your best product/procedure to deal with this issue?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You're screwed! :winky:

Personally I've had hit and miss success, the real problem is the fabric the stain is on. Many fine fabrics will be damaged by the chems used in removal. It doesn't do me any good to be a hero today and a goat (could be worse, could be a pig) in a few years when the fabric prematurely fails.

I take them as salvage projects only with the clients knowledge that I will work on it to their desire of pain. Soduim bisulfite, heat and sunlight can work well at times. But I have had some go back only toned down. Not removed completely.

Reactions: ruff

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Not even close was it. :cry:

Beggars can't be choosers.......bitch! :biggrin:

Any other upholstery cleaning enthusiast?
and for your information MR.smarty pants, he asked for the common man too. Surprised you didn't answer.....you're as common as they get. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

D Rice

Name
Doug Rice
I had never seen denim bleeding until a few weeks ago the kid helping had some of those butt ugly jeans with the designs on them. I noticed some blue shading on a just cleaned off white carpet. I guess when he was placing tabs under furniture legs the cheapo dye in the BU jeans was transferring to the wet carpet.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I had a white cotton sofa with a blue jean butt spot on it and removed it with citrus solvent and a cloth before cleaning the rest of the sofa.

Reactions: ruff

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I have had some success with a prespray that has a healthy dose of dilimonene either formulated into it, or added as a booster, then followed with shampoo containing an oxidizing agent as an additive or in the formula.

Then follow it up with a hot rinse extraction.

The problems with this procedure is that it gets the fabric fairly wet, and the oxidizers often overwhiten the fabric.

Richard's suggestion of using bisulfite would lessen the chance of overwhitening.

Do this in plant if you can so that you can control the drying process and take a few shots at it before returning it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
The Haitian cotton type cleaners (bisulfite) have worked best for me in the past.
The dilimo seem to lighten the area, particularly on natural (but not limited to) fabrics.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I have also had some luck with isopropyl alcohol. If it doesn't come out at least the alcohol evaporates without any type of damage. You didn't make it any worse. I think a lot has to do with type of fabric and how long it has been there.

Back
Top Bottom