What's the magic Whole House number new customers are looking for?

Ed Valentine

Name
Ed Valentine
A large majority of people purchase on price, whether its a home owner looking for a carpet cleaner, a carpet cleaner looking for equipment, or a patient looking for a Dentist (note: My one son is a dentist). The reason is simple: They have absolutely no knowledge of what they are purchasing other than it is just a service and therefore, they can only compare by using "cost", and not quality or any other factor.

In Dentistry, the prospective customer calls and asks: "What do you charge for a crown"? They do not ask if it is going to look like a tooth; or, a marshmallow!

In the carpet cleaning industry, the "professional" cleaner tends to complain about his competition pricing too low by stating the "they" do a better job and offer much better quality, blah, blah, blah. Then, he turns around and calls us (for example) and asks; "What's your price" comparing it to the competitions bucket & sponge machine! Sounds like they are talking out of both sides of their mouths to me.
Bottom line: One has to offer the very best along with a very fair and reasonable cost.

Can't sell everyone, period. Unfortunate, but true.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A large majority of people purchase on price, whether its a home owner looking for a carpet cleaner, a carpet cleaner looking for equipment, or a patient looking for a Dentist (note: My one son is a dentist). The reason is simple: They have absolutely no knowledge of what they are purchasing other than it is just a service and therefore, they can only compare by using "cost", and not quality or any other factor.

In Dentistry, the prospective customer calls and asks: "What do you charge for a crown"? They do not ask if it is going to look like a tooth; or, a marshmallow!

In the carpet cleaning industry, the "professional" cleaner tends to complain about his competition pricing too low by stating the "they" do a better job and offer much better quality, blah, blah, blah. Then, he turns around and calls us (for example) and asks; "What's your price" comparing it to the competitions bucket & sponge machine! Sounds like they are talking out of both sides of their mouths to me.
Bottom line: One has to offer the very best along with a very fair and reasonable cost.

Can't sell everyone, period. Unfortunate, but true.
I recently had a crown done. The dentist I had been seeing recommended an implant, saying that the remainder of the tooth wouldn't support a crown. Cost would be $5000 with 4-6 weeks recovery time. I got a couple of opinions and went with a dentist who was able to show me on a x-ray that I had a lot tooth still left, in good shape and more than able to support a crown. Cost $1200 and my blue cross picked up most of it. I believe the first dentist gets kickbacks from the place doing the implants. Customers want value for their money, not to get ripped off. Same as buying a car, most people shop around. If you want the big bucks, you have to be able to justify what you charge. A lot of my customers have had poor experiences with other carpet cleaners and ask a lot of questions related to the cleaning process and expected results, rather than price.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I couldn’t run multiple truck. Not in my DNA.

Had one job today that took me 5 hours to give price and clean. 1400 square feet $630 plus 16 steps $64. $694 total. Went through about 230 gallons of water. 4 bedrooms with closets, small bathroom, loft/hall, bonus room. 3500 square foot home empty. I’m wore out. Need to quit.

The home owner was moving in and called because they remembered me from cleaning their previous home 10 years ago.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

Had one job today that took me 5 hours to give price and clean. 1400 square feet $630 plus 16 steps $64. $694 total. Went through about 230 gallons of water. 4 bedrooms with closets, small bathroom, loft/hall, bonus room. 3500 square foot home empty. I’m wore out. Need to quit.

The home owner was moving in and called because they remembered me from cleaning their previous home 10 years ago.
That's one heck of a lot of water. Must have been a pigsty.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

hogjowl

Idiot™

How old are you?

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
The popular company here offers $175 move out cleaning up to 1200 sqft....

Edit: its $169.95... thats new price ..

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
A local dentist who knows a friend of mine called me for advice about spots that kept coming back after his carpet was cleaned by one of the local multi truck operations that is less than well managed, but is also the area's "low price leader".

It was a residue issue, and when he asked me how this could happen, I asked him about another local dentist who was well known for 35.00 fillings that fell out in a short period of time.

He understood completely, and hired a guy I recommended to fix it.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
As I sit here my job average for the month is $245 for July. I price at .35 with a $200 minimum, $3 a stair. Repairs, Upholstery, and Tile are all bonus money. All the commercial work I do drives my average down, but it makes up in volume.

I've said it before, but I'm really happy I raised my minimum. I think I have the highest in Redding. But it has been really effective at keeping the price shoppers away and leaving me open for the bigger jobs.

Name
jack zerkie
Loren don't stop being tired is good people pay a lot of money to get tired at the gym. We get paid to get tired. Just choose your jobs or not working part time is nice, I decide the jobs I do.Hope to be 78 in Jan and no helper I like carpet cleaning and sleep great at night easy for me. But that's just me. jz:cool::headbang:

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Loren don't stop being tired is good people pay a lot of money to get tired at the gym. We get paid to get tired. Just choose your jobs or not working part time is nice, I decide the jobs I do.Hope to be 78 in Jan and no helper I like carpet cleaning and sleep great at night easy for me. But that's just me. jz:cool::headbang:
I hear you. I’m only doing about half what I used to now. It does force me to get my exercise. But 78?! My hat’s off to you!

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
My local county average for whole empty houses is around $250-$300

But one county over, there’s those houses with the cinemas in the basement. I’ve done around $600 on those.

It all depends on the location

Reactions: Cleanworks

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
And real estate transactions are going crazy right now. I’m getting calls all the time to schedule cleanings on move ins and move outs. This year has had the biggest empty home jobs ever for me

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Have you ever thought of doing something else in those 50 years?

I tried being a Steam Way distributor for about 5 years (1987-1992) alongside my carpet cleaning. The idea was to get off the truck. But though the distributorship was growing, what profit there was needed to go back into inventory and I was going to need a shop and more help (more expense and hassle). Long story short, I now have a healthy respect for anyone who can make it in retail (especially dealing with carpet cleaners). Decided to simplify my life and just stick to the service business. No regrets with that decision.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom