When do you tell customer to replace

How much urine in a carpet would make you tell a customer that replacing is the best option? Example; a rental with 5 rooms all heavy contaminated with urine in builders grade carpet. Replace carpet or try to save. Cost to clean would be around 1200 and to replace probably not much more for new carpet.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Just MHO, when the cost of replacement is a better value than the cost of cleaning with no guarantee of satisfactory results.

You can suggest, they'll have to decide. Some folks don't mind living in stench. Some folks are simply trying to outlast an aging pup. It's all relative.

Becker

Name
Becker
Never... I have a client.. 1st time I worked for them areas were showing though to to the backing.

they did not need me to tell them to replace.

That was 4 years ago.

Since.. 285.00 every 4 months.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Hi Dan,

Each Landlord has different priority's.....I'm just guessing, But at $1200.00...
Your service is more than $1.00 a sq. ft...They should be able to replace at a
base grade carpet & pad at $2.00 a sq. ft. ( $18.00 sq. yd. )

If you feel you can acheive good results....Take the job. If the landlord is renting
to another pet owner....Then this would be of value to them, because the next
tennant could trash their brand new carpet !!!!!

THIS IS OUR POLICY: Find out what their expectetations are ?
Charge them your FULL PRICE to do your best....
If initial TREATMENT is not totally sucessful ????
Tell them that you will RE-CLEAN in 3 to5 days for 25% of original price.

THE BEST RULE-OF-THUMB IS....If it was your property ??? What would you do????

Your saying for 1200 bucks you can remove the odor 100%?

And that you will stand by your work with a money back gaurantee?

Name
I'm Rick James
If they still have the dog and letting it pee on the carpet, no real point in replacing it. Just happen again. Funny how people just live with it.

Hello Harper. Are you saying all pets destroy carpets? Even though i always say pets and children are great for business. Most pet owners are responsible and treat them like family and take better care of them then there selfs.

I see pets i get 2 additional cleans a yr from said client and enzyme overspray once a yr minimum and add on cleaning the pets beds. Just making lemonade. :)

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Lance,

I have NO idea what the sq.footage of this job is...Amount of Urine...Or type of Animal.

I can tell you this...Our skill levels are HIGH....Ater inspecting the job we would
we would demo the worst area...If it was acceptable to the us & the cleint...We would
bid the job...Explaining to the cleint that NO COMPANY could HONESTLY guarentee 100%
removal of contamanation !!!!! If the results of the DEMO served their needs....We would
proceed to do our BEST & if after 3 to 5 days there was a lingering odor....we would
RE-CLEAN at 25% of the original price.

Every situation is DIFFERANT....Some landlords just want to get 1 more lease out of
property before replacing the carpet. Some landlord's are looking for a guarentee of
perfection...THEY NEED TO CALL SS /because they are a NATIONAL FRANCHISE & they
will guarentee anything ......Untill the check clears :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Lance,

Can you not see the 16 FOOT yellow LABADOR on the side of my TRUCK :?: :?: :?: :?:

I think people might ASSUME that we care about their PETS :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I was asking original thread starter the gaurantee question.

I was asking you why you dislike pets so much.

And as any cleaner with skills knows urine starts as an acid and turns to an alkiline and in time will burn and discolor the fibers. Then theres the fact that what you smell is the dead and dyeing bacteria and the waste they produce so unless you can kill all the bacteria the odor will return in time and then there still left with discolored carpet.

But i agree every job is differant and every customer is differant. If i advise them carpet should be replaced and they reply with just clean and enzyme then im cleaning and enzyming. But the downfall here is if the tenant complains about the odor then the landlord just replies , it was so and so carpet cleaner that did a bad job making us the bad guy.

Not trying to be rude just rambling as im bored . I only worked a 10 hour day and filling the extra time i have today. :)

Yes i see the most popular breed on your truck. By the way i like your truck. Do you find it harder to find parking in that van?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Thanks for the SEMINAR,

I guess I should take more classes :wink: :wink: I have no :idea: how I have HACKED
my way through 30 years in this BIZ :oops: :oops: I think all us HILLBILLY'S here in FL.
are not as smart as you fellows that have been doing BIZ 19 years :) :) :) :) :)

ps That is a good looking POOCH on the AVATAR....He looks alot SMARTER than ME....

joe harper

Name
joe harper
We park it in the street...

then everyone has to drive around it....Most homes here have brick pavers in there
driveway....or have them painted....They dont want any trucks in there driveway...

beter advertizing in the street...

He is very smart. Get this.

I found him around midnight after getting lost looking for a flood 3 days before x-mas of 07. And this was after my employee never answered his pager. He was around 8 weeks and very cold and hungry. He is our gift from god.

And i have nothing against floridians and dont think your a hick as i dont know you enough. LOL give it time.

jerry ACC

Name
Jerry Lightcap
I just passed on a job and told the realtor to replace the 1 1/2 year old carpet.
I cleaned it a couple months ago and used orodcide mixed with OSR on about 8 heavy spots.
I let dwell about 30 minutes and water claw extracted.
They call about a week later and said the smell was back. The stains were gone so I pulled about 1/2 of the carpet back to investigate and there were spots about every foot or so that had not shown up on the initial inspection and cleaning. The urine had soaked thru the pad and into the unsealed concrete floor. This is an empty that has been on the market for a few months.
I hated to pass on the job but it would have required me to remove the carpet and clean thru both sides, revmove and replace all of the pad, and clean and seal the concrete floor. This 400 SqFt room had a number of columns and about 90 foot of seaming that would have to be redone.
For what I would have to charge this customer, it is simply cheaper to have it all replaced.
I found them an installer who will do it for around $500, which includes everything, carpet, pad, labor, disposal.

Thanks for the input. I have done my fair share of bad pet damage jobs, and I mean the full treatment. On these jobs I pulled the carpet and replaced the pad, sealed the subfloor, installed new tack-strip, treated and cleaned the back of carpet and applied enzyme, cleaned the top of carpet and reapplied enzyme. This is a lot of work and I was sure the odor source would be gone because I used a quality enzyme deodorizer by Prochem. Well a return trip 2 weeks later and the carpet smelled like pure rancid urine. I am amazed at all the comments I read on websites and even here that some guys think you can just spray the hell out of a bio-enzyme and the urine smell is just going to magically disappear. Every enzyme product I have used has let me down. There is only one way I guarantee complete odor removal, and that is a rug in a washpit process. No one is going to remove wall to wall carpet and clean it the same as a rug, but that is the only way to completely flush out all the urine. I have heard that if a carpet is more than 20 percent affected by urine damage then replacing may be the best option. If the urine damage was just in one room, I would take plastic and tape it up the walls and flood the carpet and extract the heck out of it but not for 5 rooms. To do what I listed above, I wouldn't do that for less than 2 dollars a foot but more like 3 dollars a foot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom