where is the risk in spraying solvent sealers/protectors?

Mikey P

Administrator
Besides your and the home owner' lungs, where is the risk of airborn solvents?

Wall or gravity furnice pilot lights?
Gas fireplace pilot lights?

What else?

Name
Ron lippold
Re: where is the risk in spraying solvent sealers/protectors

mikey hardball does not flame up. and its not for putting into a bag for huffing. I have sprayed it on diamond plaster walls to protect them from a future cleaning, with no color change to the plaster when dry. Hardball is my protector of choice.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Though mineral spirits is one of the safer alternative cleaners and solvents, it is described by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) as a mild dermal irritant. It also receives a class 3 flammability rating; once its relatively high flashpoint is reached, mineral spirits will burn just like any hydrocarbon-based solvent, thereby emitting dangerous toxins. Additionally, chronic toxic encephalopathy, a brain ailment often found in commercial and residential painters, has been blamed on prolonged exposure to mineral spirits. Therefore, although mineral spirits is a far safer alternative to many solvents in certain applications, it should, like any petroleum distillate, be stored and handled with proper care.
Be smart with it, make sure there is plenty of ventilation, while remote there is still potential for flammability.

Breathing too much of it yourself should be concern. Your customer is only briefly exposed to it, probably not a problem. However you could be exposing yourself to it daily, take reasonable precautions to not breath too much of it.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

The same things you'd be concerned about when spraying any OMS, plus breathing the protectant. Fumes can kill small birds fairly easily, overspray can drift and damage plastics and painted surfaces, and when you atomize OMS it become easily flammable. Pretty important to use low air pressure and a large enough tip to minimize drift.

I don't recommend you try this, but if you want to be impressed with how flammable atomized OMS can be, go outside and use your normal applicator to spray some toward a flame. The fireball will be impressive. It might burn your eyebrows off.

There has been more than one case of local cleaners that have either sent employees to the hospital for breathing a concentration of fumes or burning a customer's house when the draperies behind the couch they were cleaning caught fire.

PS: If you use a product with a chlorinated solvent carrier (unlikely in California) don't worry about fire.

Warren Wallace

Supportive Member

Ron Lippold said:
mikey hardball does not flame up. and its not for putting into a bag for huffing. I have sprayed it on diamond plaster walls to protect them from a future cleaning, with no color change to the plaster when dry. Hardball is my protector of choice.
Ditto !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom