Which heater to keep the van warm?

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
It's getting cold at night, which heater would you guys recommend to keep the inside of the van above 32 degrees at night. I would need to run the heater cord from my house, no garage. Also, where do i get the wireless thermostat with an alarm in case the heater goes off and the temps drop below 32.

Thanks,

Bill

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Walmart has the thermometer. I've been using the same one for years. I use a ceramic disk heater and if its below 0 I'll use two. Since you don't have a garage I would get something that will move the air around more. The local Menards has a small turbo fan with an attachable heater. I think it would work well.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
tmdry said:
It's getting cold at night, which heater would you guys recommend to keep the inside of the van above 32 degrees at night. I would need to run the heater cord from my house, no garage. Also, where do i get the wireless thermostat with an alarm in case the heater goes off and the temps drop below 32.

Thanks,

Bill

Dont shoot for 32 because if the center air in the van is 32 then the stuff by the walls and floor will still freeze.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
2-separate circuits when you run two heaters or they will blow the breaker.

When we have to leave one out we always use two heaters, we just don't run them on full blast unless it really cold. This way if it blows a circuit at least you still have one running.

We use these when leaving a truck outside, they are from Grainger, and they work fine.
Heater-3VU31_AS01.JPG

Grainger has a lot of different models: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/se ... m_search=1

Ron K

I would go with a small propane heater. I have always used an electric heater too, but this storm no power 8 degree's and the ^%$# generator wouldn't start. Ended up running van hours at a time.

On that note do any of you run antifreeze through your system regularly? My first Steamway came that way but I just cant wrap my brain around putting that stuff into and handling anti-freeze when ever it's cold.

Name
I'm Rick James
I use a radiator heater thats 600 or 900 watts. Got down to 14 degrees here in Seattle and the van was nice and toasty. I use a clubwagon ford van so the roof and side panels are well insulated. Helps to retain the heat.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I use a remote temp gauge with temp alarm set to 36 degrees. there is a sensor in my trailer it reads out into a temp gauge in my bedroom. I try to keep the trailer at about 45 degrees, so I have a margin to work with in case it shuts off and I am not home or something. this remote temp gauge has saved my unit at least twice in the last 8 years. I think I paid $30 bucks for it years ago.

as for heaters I just run a walmart black and decker unit.

scott s

I haven't tried it but heard it helps instead of running anti-freeze through the machine, to use windshield washing fluid since it is supposed to keep from freezing until a much lower temp. The windshield washing fluid isn't as toxic as the anti-freeze.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Have your electrician wire an extra 220 circuit and run a 220 heater. Best money you'll ever spend. More efficient too.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ron,
Do you have a link to the semi-truck heater? Sounds like a good alternative to look at. I currently run 2 like the ceramic pictured in the link above (bought them at Lowes for $59) on different circuits. I have a good temp monitoring unit, however it does'nt have the alarm feature.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I got the heater checked the temp last night with my thermohygrometer, anyone have a link to the remote temp gauge? I went to HD and they don't carry it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
BLewis said:
Ron,
Do you have a link to the semi-truck heater? Sounds like a good alternative to look at. I currently run 2 like the ceramic pictured in the link above (bought them at Lowes for $59) on different circuits. I have a good temp monitoring unit, however it does'nt have the alarm feature.
Something like these

http://www.visionaire-inc.com/offroadai ... sto09.html

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom