Which model is yours?
Does any of the suppliers carry it?
What was the cost?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
its called a Mini Kinetic.....

I don't think it is a standard softener that most suppliers carry......

they are pretty spendy...any where from $1400 to $2000...but worth every penny....

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Kinetico is the deal, just expensive. We used to use the one's ike Larry is showing but eventually just put a system in the shop here so everything is soft water. Occassionally we run out and have to use water onsite but so far no scales issues since going with the soft water in house six years ago.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
When deciding which ones are best for you, consider the volume of water you use and the space available in your van. Larger units can soften more water between changes but may take up more space.

No arguing the Kinetco is a top quality product. The Hydro-FOrce units come in at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost depending upon the unit you decide upon.

highsteam

Name
Alberto
Anyone used a W/S designed for RVs?
Like this one:
Code:
http://www.flowpur.com/html/rv_water_softener.html

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I would say Kinetico ( mine is like Jim Martins) would be the best, trouble free unit out there. But.......it recharges while you are cleaning, and you need to dispose of the brine, either in the waste tank or in a storage tank on the vehicle. So you need to have a good supply (volume) of water from your source or run a freshy tank. I think mine recharges after 300 gallons.

I've had the same unit since 1995. Trouble is......greedy Kinetico dealers are very strict about where you purchase your unit. My local Kinetico dealer wouldn't even sell me parts at one time because I wouldn't tell him who sold the unit to me.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Love the kinteco's - just can't swallow the cost to have one in each of 6 cleaning rigs. I have been using watco's 30k grain all in one units since 2007 problem free. Based on our average hardness and water consumption, I manually charge 1x every 10 days - haven't had to descale a TM ever.

$550

Not the exact one: http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/docvie ... id=3523267

The power cable and brine rinse tube are tucked away in the rear wall panel, when it's time to charge, plug it in via extension cord, and connect a garden hose to the brine rinse tube, connect the live hose reel to fresh water source, push a button and walk. Takes about 2 minutes to get a recharge going and nothing else to mess with.

No matter what you install, make it so that the recharge isn't a hassle.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have had great luck with the interlink automatic unit. its the one for 839 that scott linked to. I just recharge it everytime I change the oil at 50 hours. while the oil is draining the unit is recharging. I don't know why this always happens but it seems like jim and I have the opposite experience with a product. I did run a kinetico unit similar to the one in his unit, I found it much more of a complicated unit. I also don't like running a brine tank mounted inside the unit because it will spill at some point and get salt water everywhere even in places you thought you washed out. the kinetico was fully automatic and did its own thing, just keep the salt added. but it quit working for us.

the interlink unit has been installed in my unit for 10 years and still works like new. the timer valve is a little quirky sometimes but monkey with it a bit every now and then, but its done that since new.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
steve g said:
I have had great luck with the interlink automatic unit. its the one for 839 that scott linked to. I just recharge it everytime I change the oil at 50 hours. while the oil is draining the unit is recharging. I don't know why this always happens but it seems like jim and I have the opposite experience with a product. I did run a kinetico unit similar to the one in his unit, I found it much more of a complicated unit. I also don't like running a brine tank mounted inside the unit because it will spill at some point and get salt water everywhere even in places you thought you washed out. the kinetico was fully automatic and did its own thing, just keep the salt added. but it quit working for us.

the interlink unit has been installed in my unit for 10 years and still works like new. the timer valve is a little quirky sometimes but monkey with it a bit every now and then, but its done that since new.

Steve.....you are right. The Kinetico is a great unit, but ocational overflows of the brine tank are a problem. I mounted mine in a plastic bin to catch any overflow, but not before it rusted the truck right underneath the unit.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Talking about soft water, for someone who cleans carpet and disposes of the water on a daily basis:

1) Would the salt added to the waste water from the softening cause an issue in a septic system?

2) If dumped daily in a hole in the dirt, will it create too much salt in the soil. Thus creating a potential issue?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ofer Kolton said:
Talking about soft water, for someone who cleans carpet and disposes of the water on a daily basis:

1) Would the salt added to the waste water from the softening cause an issue in a septic system?

2) If dumped daily in a hole in the dirt, will it create too much salt in the soil. Thus creating a potential issue?

I pump mine directly into the waste tank (all SS) and from there, into the sanitary at the house or business I'm cleaning.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
rwcarpet said:
Ofer Kolton said:

I pump mine directly into the waste tank (all SS) and from there, into the sanitary at the house or business I'm cleaning.
Thanks Robert.
I'm talking about a country situation. No municipal sewer to dump into.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have always been under the impression that it is not good for the septic tank to dump waste water into ......with or without salt...

when I lived in Ok and I got mine installed ....the company told me to divert my washing machine water some where else and not into the septic tank.........

starrett

been dumping in septic for 25 years, no problems yet. i do have a filter between the tank and leach field i clean annually.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Ofer Kolton said:
rwcarpet said:
[quote="Ofer Kolton":1gvtsurh]Talking about soft water, for someone who cleans carpet and disposes of the water on a daily basis:

Thanks Robert.
I'm talking about a country situation. No municipal sewer to dump into.[/quote:1gvtsurh]

Ofer.....depending on your local EPA regs, (and I'm sure cali is full of them), I'd probably store the brine on-board (if using a Kinetico), and dump back at your shop or house.

Got the shirts today....will be sending them on Friday.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Ofer Kolton said:

The amount of salt in the waste water will be very small. It won't change the way you need to dump. Whatever is legal way to dump now, will still be the way to dump with a little salt in the water.

The volume of waste water may be more than some septic systems are built to handle. So, dumping waste water is sometimes an issue, but not the salt. If you have been dumping in the septic system for a long time with no problems, it should be fine to continue doing so.

If dumped in a hole in the dirt repeatedly, the salt level wold built up over time and be an issue.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
when I lived in Ok and I got mine installed ....the company told me to divert my washing machine water some where else and not into the septic tank.........
We have two washing machines one on each level and so far no problems in 4-years. I sure hope it doesn't become one. I've seen Jimmy naked

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
scottw said:
Ofer Kolton said:

The amount of salt in the waste water will be very small. It won't change the way you need to dump. Whatever is legal way to dump now, will still be the way to dump with a little salt in the water.

The volume of waste water may be more than some septic systems are built to handle. So, dumping waste water is sometimes an issue, but not the salt. If you have been dumping in the septic system for a long time with no problems, it should be fine to continue doing so.

If dumped in a hole in the dirt repeatedly, the salt level wold built up over time and be an issue.
Thank you, Scott.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Chester said:
We have two washing machines one on each level and so far no problems in 4-years. I sure hope it doesn't become one. I've seen Jimmy naked

WTF would you divert it to???

hey honey, dont run the sprinklers today....wash is going :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Name
Fred H
wow just what I was thinking about. after having to diagnose and remedy a clogged hose in my tm, I said enough already, I need a water softener. I looked at the units that interlink and prochem had available and learned that there are automatic and manual recharge systems available for purchase. On the manual recharge, you keep the resin tank onboard your van and recharge manually by hooking up a brine tank and back flushing the system. what a PITA.
I called my local water softener services and one had a program where they would supply me with a resin tank for 25 dollars per month. i would return the tank to them and they would have a fresh recharged one for me ready to pick up. soft water for 25 per month without the hassle of manual recharging the system. I called their competition and told them about that and they set me up with the same service for 20 per month.
How sweet it is.

Back
Top Bottom