White Magic Embezzler Sentenced - 3 yrs + 615K

Embezzler sentenced to 3 years
Ordered to repay $615K

SALISBURY — A woman who embezzled $615,000 from her Salisbury employer was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Boston yesterday to three years in prison and ordered to pay full restitution to the victims.

In December, Victoria Jordan, 33, of Salisbury, pleaded guilty to 15 federal counts of wire fraud after prosecutors said she inflated her $52,000 salary and stole $450,000 from Salisbury-based carpet cleaner White Magic over a four-year period.

Jordan, also known as Victoria Lake, will spend 36 months in prison upon self-reporting in July, with three years' supervised probation upon release.

Jordan's attorney, John R. Valerio, argued that the court should impose a sentence that allows Jordan the opportunity to remain employed, in order to be able to pay restitution to White Magic. Court documents showed Jordan and Valerio requested a sentence of five years' probation, followed by five years of supervised release.

Jordan also requested through her attorney that the court allow her to serve her sentence as close to Massachusetts as possible, because her 14-year-old son and family live in the area.

The United States attorney requested a sentence of 33 months' incarceration, to be followed by three years of supervised release, a fine of $7,500, and restitution in the amount of $615,000, and other payments.

According to court documents, Jordan inflated her salary as chief financial officer to embezzle from the company from January 2004 to November 2008. She also added her husband to the payroll despite the fact he was not an employee of the company, cashed checks drawn on company accounts, submitted fraudulent mileage reimbursements, made unauthorized purchases of personal items with company credit cards, and used company funds without permission to pay for a life insurance policy, personal cell phones and individual retirement account deposits.

Federal wire fraud charges came into play because Jordan obtained her salary through Automated Clearing House transactions that funneled through a Minnesota office, according to court documents.

Federal authorities said Jordan paid herself $83,850 in 2004, $97,194 in 2005, $126,000 in 2006, $151,941 in 2007, and in the first 10 months of 2008, took home $207,000. After placing her husband on the payroll, she collected another $38,000. Her husband has not been charged.

In total, Jordan's scheme caused a loss of more than $615,000 to White Magic over a four-year period, according to court documents. She was ordered to pay back all $615,000 to White Magic owners.

According to court documents, White Magic's owner/president, Paul Richardson, said Jordan's fraud caused employees of the company to be laid off, assets to be liquidated, and the owners have borrowed money to lend to the company and have put their Massachusetts residence on the market.

"After working and saving my entire life to build up a company, my hopes of being able to retire some day are crushed," he stated in court documents. "At the age of 66, I am faced with the reality that I may lose my home, my business, everything I have worked so hard to achieve."

Carpet Cleaning - White Magic Embezzler Sentenced

A

amazingcleansc

According to court documents, White Magic's owner/president, Paul Richardson, said Jordan's fraud caused employees of the company to be laid off, assets to be liquidated, and the owners have borrowed money to lend to the company and have put their Massachusetts residence on the market.

What about the economy taking a crap. did that have anything to do with any of the above info as well?

steve g

Name
steve garrett
to those of you who don't remember when this all shook down, the problem was the owner of the company lived several states away and basically never checked in on the company in 4 years, never looked at the bank accounts, never looked at the expenses, never showed up and wondered around and wondered how the business was doing. basically acted in a manner than none of us could imagine doing with our businesses. the women deserves to go to jail no doubt, but I have to say what the hell do you expect to happen when you ignore your business for 4 years.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Steve he was probably receiving his monthly or quarterly draw and so he wasn't too concerned, figuring all was fine. Wasn't the smartest thing to do, but it still wasn't his fault. He must have had a lot of trust in her to be that hands off.

It's a terrible lesson to learn, too bad, he should be enjoying his retirement. :cry:

Probably should have sold it and been done with it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
economy?
Seems to me when you extract $100000+/yr right off the top, its going to make a significant impact in your bottom end, esp when you don't realize its going out.

How many lives did she effect so she could have "the American Dream"?
Now she has the American nightmare, life in jail.
SHe definitely will never get a job that gives her access to money management.

randy

Name
Randy
White Magic has been competing for years to be the next "NEW STEAMWAY" . Eventually it will end up right where Steamway is, a distant memory in carpet cleaning history along side Steam Genie, Halyson, Bates and Vortex.

Ryan

I wish White Magic well, for no other reason then to spite Rob Allen! :twisted:

Name
jack zerkie
My first new unit was in the early 90,s Purchase aWhite Magic pro 1700 water cooled motor. I had been working over 9 years then and things were good. The white magic had many problems mostly the engine was junk and I lost a lot of work. A lady named Janet was in charge and while the unit was new and under warrenty she refused to help me. The only person that cared was Mike in the factory and he quit so that left no one.Janet offered to extend the warrenty because I wanted to trade it in and she said it wasn,t worth anything and it was still under warrenty. I even talked to the owner of white magic and no luck there. I lost a lot of work because of this unit and they didn,t care. I paid about $13 thousand back then so I paid to have the engine fixed and the sold it and purchased a Hydramaster 470D and thats another story. I do not have employees and I keep up with the maintence and the 470D is gone and now own a simple Larry Cobb 2045 unit and now life is easy and simple but I guess thats life wish I was smater younger.Oh well. I,m still here and maybe white magic won,t be? jack z.

randy

Name
Randy
Jack your story sounds really familiar. Like I have heard it before from every Tom, Dick, Harry, Rob, Jack......
that has ever owned a Black Magic unit. It makes me wonder how they have stayed around this long.

By the way you aren't the only one that wishes they had started off with a simpler unit from day one.
I sure do !

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
randy said:
Jack your story sounds really familiar. Like I have heard it before from every Tom, Dick, Harry, Rob, Jack......
that has ever owned a Black Magic unit. It makes me wonder how they have stayed around this long.

By the way you aren't the only one that wishes they had started off with a simpler unit from day one.
I sure do !

The difference in reliability between their slide-in and direct drive units is night and day. Their Pro1200 is the best direct drive on the planet. I still have and use my '87 which works like new although I can't even drive the van in the ghetto.
They should have stuck with one simple unit like Butler did. Slide-ins are for people who like to inhale fumes. They have brain damage anyway so who cares?

White Magic employees react to embezzler's 3-year sentence
Company reels from employee's theft of $615k

SALISBURY — Employees of Salisbury-based carpet cleaner White Magic say they are satisfied with the three-year imprisonment sentencing of a former employee who embezzled $615,000 from the company.

Though they don't expect to see the money she was ordered to pay back anytime soon, employees say the business is trying to move on.

According to court documents, Victoria Jordan, 33, of Salisbury, inflated her salary as chief financial officer to embezzle from the company from January 2004 to November 2008. She also added her husband to the payroll despite the fact he was not an employee of the company, cashed checks drawn on company accounts, submitted fraudulent mileage reimbursements, made unauthorized purchases of personal items with company credit cards, and used company funds without permission to pay for a life insurance policy, personal cell phones and individual retirement account deposits.

"Anybody can make a mistake," office manager Karen Beckman said. "But I personally feel she had plotted this — it was over a four-year period."

"I'm glad the justice system didn't let me down," service manager John Duda added. "I was a little nervous that she'd get off — her attorney was trying to tell everyone how sorry she was for the hurt and damage that she caused, but I don't believe that for one second. The only thing she's sorry about is getting caught."

Federal wire fraud charges came into play because Jordan obtained her salary through Automated Clearing House transactions that funneled through a Minnesota office, according to court documents.

In December, Jordan pleaded guilty to 15 federal counts of wire fraud after prosecutors said she inflated her $52,000 salary and stole $450,000 from White Magic over a four-year period.

Federal authorities said Jordan paid herself $83,850 in 2004, $97,194 in 2005, $126,000 in 2006, $151,941 in 2007, and in the first 10 months of 2008, took home $207,000. After placing her husband on the payroll, she collected another $38,000. Her husband has not been charged.

Three White Magic employees attended Tuesday's sentencing of Jordan in U.S. District Court in Boston, according to Beckman, company owner Paul Richardson's sister-in-law.

Jordan was sentenced to 36 months in prison upon self-reporting in July, with three years' supervised probation upon release, and ordered to pay $615,000 restitution to White Magic.

According to court documents, owner/president Paul Richardson said Jordan's scheme caused company layoffs, assets to be liquidated, and the company's reputation to be damaged. It stated the owners have borrowed money to lend to the company and have put their Massachusetts residence on the market. Richardson, who delayed retirement because of the matter, also stopped paying himself a salary.

"Hopefully, she realizes how many people she hurt," Duda said. "I don't wish anything bad upon anyone, but she definitely deserves jail time for what she did to everyone — all employees, past and present. A lot of people lost jobs because of this."

Jordan and her attorney, John R. Valerio, requested a sentence of five years' probation, followed by five years of supervised release, so that Jordan could remain employed and pay the restitution to White Magic.

"When we found out she wanted the mercy of court to just give her probation, we were shocked," Beckman said. "Thank goodness (the judge) didn't do it."

"The judge kind of said he wanted to set a precedence," Duda added. "Hopefully, this will be a deterrent to stop people from doing this in the future."

Though Jordan was ordered to pay full restitution to the owners, Beckman doesn't believe they'll see the money anytime soon, because Jordan will be in prison for three years and upon release, will have a felony on her record.

Regardless, White Magic is bouncing back — they've since repaid about half the debt Jordan left them in, Beckman said.

"It's been a struggle, but we're getting back on our feet," Beckman said. "It's by the grace of God that we've been open these two years — the cash flow has been so low, and the economy's bad."

Duda said a lot of the company's vendors and distributors have been understanding and have worked with them through the ordeal.

"We've done a hell of a job keeping this place rolling and getting us back up to where it was before," Duda said. "I can speak for everyone here — we want to put the whole issue behind us, move on with our lives and continue to grow this business."

Name
jack zerkie
Not sure but an old rumor was that Paul Richardson owner of white magic had possibly worked at Butler and wanted to sell slide inns and Butler only makes direct drives, I really don,t know if it,s true or just rumor. jack z.

randy

Name
Randy
Lee Stockwell said:
I remember when White Magic was just a distributor for Steam Genie. Their first CDS unit looked like a Steam Genie clone...1982ish.

Now there is an idea, White Magic should reintroduce the original PTO Steam Genie. At Least they would have a decent design, that thing was a killer.

Stockwell, if you are that old yet young enough to remember that far back, you should be a consultant by now. Have you thought about gaining 50lbs and becoming an IICRC instructor ? :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom