White Magic Robbed

Spurling

Embezzler forces firm to lay off 25 Salisbury employees saddened, angered over $450,000 scam
By Katie Curley Katzman
Staff writer

SALISBURY — White Magic employees say they are holding out hope that justice will be served come March, when a former employee will be sentenced for a scam that nearly put the local carpet cleaner out of business.

Federal authorities charged Victoria Jordan, 32, with 15 counts of wire fraud after they found that during a nearly four-year period, she inflated her $52,000 salary and stole $450,000 from her employer. She pleaded guilty last month and will return to federal court in March for her sentencing. Jordan faces up to 20 years in jail and a $250,000 fine for each count.

"She hurt a lot of people, and a lot of people got laid off because of it," said John Duda, who is in charge of the company's technical services. "We are in a horrible position of debt now because of her. She basically used White Magic as her own personal bank."

Duda said the once 35-strong Main Street company is down to just 10 employees today.

"In its heyday, we were really strong, but she left us in ridiculous debt," Duda said.

Jordan inflated her salary as chief financial officer to embezzle from the company, according to court documents. She also added her husband to the payroll despite the fact he was not an employee of the company, cashed checks drawn on company accounts, made unauthorized purchases of personal items with the company credit cards and used company funds without permission to pay for a life insurance policy, personal cell phones, individual retirement account deposits and fraudulent mileage reimbursements.

Federal authorities allege Jordan paid herself, $83,850 in 2004, $97,194, in 2005, $126,000 in 2006, $151,941 in 2007, and in the first 10 months of 2008, took home $207,000. After placing her husband on the payroll, she collected another $38,000. Her husband has not been charged.

Federal wire fraud charges came into play because Jordan obtained her salary through Automated Clearing House transactions that funneled through a Minnesota office, according to court documents.

Court documents indicate federal authorities want Jordan to give back any and all money and property taken from White Magic.

Duda said Jordan was not a well-liked employee and often showed up with new cars, snowmobiles, Hummers and Harley Davidson Motorcycles and cell phones. Her annual holiday light display outside her home was once voted second place in Salisbury.

"It was up again this year," Duda said, adding he feels White Magic should put a sponsorship sign on her lawn. "White Magic paid for all that."

Duda said the real person who has paid is founder and owner of the company, Paul Richardson.

Richardson, who now runs the business from out of state, started White Magic in 1980 as a carpet cleaning service and distributor. In 1983, Richardson began manufacturing truck-mounted carpet cleaning and upholstery equipment.

Duda said Richardson trusted Jordan with all the finances and never checked the books. When Richardson was in the hospital for over a year suffering from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident, Duda said Jordan ramped up the theft by giving Richardson false financial reports and using company money to pay her own living expenses.

"Paul put everything he had into this place," Duda said. "He hasn't been able to retire now. He put himself in debt so we can try to dig ourselves out of this hole she left us in."

During Jordan's time as CFO, White Magic international sales manager Dan Jolly partnered with Jordan to buy the business from Richardson, as Richardson hoped to retire. White Magic employees now believe she wanted to buy the company in order to cover up what she had been doing.

"I was probably one of the closest to her," Jolly said. "I knew she was rough, but I didn't know she was a thief."

Jolly partnered with Jordan, securing a loan and working with financial consultants. It wasn't until they were 30 days away from purchase that the charges were made public.

"Paul had looked me in the eye and said I couldn't trust anyone more with the finances," Jolly said. "He hadn't looked at the books in years."

Under the plan, Richardson was going to hold paper on the business and become a half partner.

When authorities got involved, Jolly found himself with a $10,000 loan and no business to make the payments.

"It took me thousands to get into the deal to buy and thousands to get out," Jolly said.

Jolly, has had to open a business on the side, Powder Max in Eliot, Maine, in efforts to get out of debt.

"I took a 13-week layoff from White Magic and had to take money out against my home," Jolly said. "She has me working 70 hours a week, and I have kids."

Jolly said that eventually he hopes to either make a move into the powder coating business full time or sell Powder Max and pay the loan off.

Since Jordan's embezzlement has come to light, White Magic owner Richardson has hired outside auditors, and Duda has worked to install all new accounting software.

"She made such a mess, we basically had to start over," Duda said.

Jolly as well as other employees plan to go to Jordan's sentencing hearing on March 9.

"We're not going to start trouble. We just want to see her off," Jolly said. "The best thing we can do is make sure White Magic stays open. I made sure to send her a brochure to my powder coating business when I opened it."

'A sad case'

Salisbury police Chief David L'Esperance said he found out about the thefts after the owners of the company approached him last year with serious concerns about Jordan, whom they considered to be a "trusted employee."

Because the money was allegedly sent over state lines, federal authorities were brought in to work with Salisbury Detective Mark Thomas.

"This was a sad case of a family business that entrusted someone with operational control over their assets, and this woman made a very poor choice," L'Esperance said yesterday. "We've spoken to the victims, and they are trying to rebuild. We wish them well."

L'Esperance credited the United States Attorney's office, the U.S. Secret Service and Salisbury Detectives for a thorough job in the investigation.

"We are happy this case is coming to a close," he said.
ShareThis PrintThis

Cant trust anybody!!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
As a long time well satisfied customer I hope they are able to survive this disaster. It's surprising that this amount of money would put them in such a precarious position. They must be a scrappy small manufactorer compared to Butler or Prochem.

F

FB7777

I've been at the WM Salsbury location

Art hit the nail on the head

-JB-

Name
JB
:shock: WOW! Man that SUCKS!

Guess that what happens when you don't control your own assets!

Big business huh? :roll:

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
If you own a business, and you dont manage everything. (have employees) Duh, you audit them and check over there shoulders.
IF the owner didnt live in the same state the business was in, he oviously didnt care about his business. He deserves to close and loose everything. right? What kind of business owner lives out of state and not involved with some operations of the company.

randy

Name
Randy
Prediction: White Magic will be the next Steamway to fold up and disappear. With such irresponsible management /and or incompetent auditors, they totally deserve what they are getting. My guess is there was no annual audit. Dumber than dumb. Even in a small operation the bank statements should be going to someone without check signing authority, or to the owner's home. The person or persons signing checks shouldn't have access to the mail. Separate it out and then no one person can pull this kind of thing. You can review your bank statements on line 24/7 and this would have been extremely easy to spot. OBVIOUSLY White magic is run by a bunch of amateurs and they deserve liquidation.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
:roll: I have two MW TMs and a steamway. I think manufactures need strong chemical sales to make it in the industry. If I could weld I would make my own truckmounts.

Ryan

Most of this happened when the owner was recovering from a motorcycle accident. When he was fully recovered and out of the hostipital he caught on.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
so lets see the owner ran the company from out of state WTF?!?!?! you gotta be kidding me. never looked at the books for years?!?!?!? another WTF. that is like leaving your car parked in the worst part of town with the doors open and keys in it. one would think after that much money being taken out of the business there wouldn't be any left and it would have started taking loans to keep up with it.

there has also been quite a few complaints about white magic and customer services, good hell I wonder why. I say the owner deserved what he got, if you are dumb enough to just go off and leave a business without ever looking over it, well yeah you are going to get ripped off, you would have thought at least he would have been curious about profit margins etc.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
admiralclean said:
Good grief ... I didn't realize we had so many broke dick, monday morning, business guru's on this board.

so I guess you don't have a problem with how WM was being run?? I hope your monday morning business sense is such that its pretty damn clear that the owner was a dumbass

-JB-

Name
JB
Most of this happened when the owner was recovering from a motorcycle accident. When he was fully recovered and out of the hostipital he caught on.

took him four years to "catch on"? That's one dang slow recovery.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I heard through a distributor that she actually took closer to 1 million but that's all they can prove.

hogjowl

Idiot™
All I'm saying is if being a bulletin board business guru is anything like all the prevacuuming wise guys with no vacuum cleaners on their trucks and all the 50 cent per s.f. carpet cleaners without a pot to piss in, then most of you guys should probably sthu.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
I don't understand what is "Soooo" HARD to believe here... :?

Most of you ARE... "sLeePinG"...with a woman "RIGHT NOW" . :!: :!:

That will soon have Half of your EmPiRe... :mrgreen:

randy

Name
Randy
mwall2230 said:
I heard through a distributor that she actually took closer to 1 million but that's all they can prove.

If true White Magic is a goner ! Embezzlement isn't ever covered by insurance or specifically a bond on the employee if an audit is never done. My guess is the employee wasn't even bonded if this went uncover for so long and a million bucks disappeared. No bond, no audit and poor management. A simple look at the checking account would have exposed this scam.

The entire company should be signed over to the embezzler, she could probably run the company better.

Anyone buying a truckmount from White Magic after seeing how poorly run this company is, deserves one of their lemons.
Just don't start a new board to whine about it, you were warned.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
I've got a 2 year old Hydramaster Cds w/salsa, and 2 white magic pro 1200 high vacs 1 and half years old. I actually prefer the white magics. I single wand with them in dual wand mode spinning the 56 blower with the high vac 20" of lift and I love it. Also we've had NO problems with either white magics yet.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
admiralclean said:
All I'm saying is if being a bulletin board business guru is anything like all the prevacuuming wise guys with no vacuum cleaners on their trucks and all the 50 cent per s.f. carpet cleaners without a pot to piss in, then most of you guys should probably sthu.

These are the kind of posts that make me love Marty - even though I don't want to! :shock:

Jonee

That is old news, that actually was talked about on another board sometime ago.

randy

Name
Randy
GeneMiller said:
Why would anybody think someone deserves that ?

Gene

It's called sowing & reaping.
If you don't have financial controls in place ( budgets and audits are the main control tools) the inevitable will occur. For this to happen management had to be asleep at the wheel for at least five years.

Hard to feel sorry for that level of incompetence and flat at laziness. Kind of like the investor that lost millions with Madoff.
There was no audit done and the whole operation was a scam. An audit prevents that kind of thing.

When you break the rules taught in any business finance class or accounting 101 class (that you can take for less than $100 at a community college) you deserve a poor results.

Some people just aren't qualified to run much of anything and would be better off working in some civil service job.

Lora Olson

I'm going to chime in here...cause this is my area of "expertise".

I have been the "money person" for businesses since 1992. I know what I'm doing. I worked for a software company for 8 yrs out of college and for a printing company for 10 years and have now owned Superior for 3 years. I never owned part of either of those companies but had MAJOR financial responsibilities and MAJOR trust.

I had two rules that I never let either owner waiver from (for my own protection as well).

1. I DID NOT SIGN CHECKS...EVER EVER EVER. I never wanted check signing privledges. I would print out checks, attach to the invoices and put in a pile for owner to sign. I did not allow rubber stamps of signatures to be used or made.

2. THE OWNER HAD THE BANK STATEMENT SENT TO HIS HOME ADDRESS (and/or on line when that technology became available) AND THEN BROUGHT TO ME TO BALANCE THE BOOKS. The owner always had access to the statements before I ever saw them.

Now that I own my own business and I am still the "money person" NO ONE SIGNS CHECKS BUT ME. PERIOD...NO EXCEPTIONS. And all my banking is on-line and no one has the password but me and John.

I believe if those two little rules are followed by every business, it is much harder for employees to embezzle major amounts of money. I do not believe a business owner should ever turn over complete control of a company. The face of the matter is most business owners know NOTHING about money handling/rules. They started a business because they know about their product/had a passion. It is pretty rare for the business owner to be the money person as well. Quite frankly, John and I as a team work well, cause he is the knowledge guy and I'm the money girl. I have struggled learning about this industry (taken classes and gone out with customers). But it has come slowly. The money issues, though and all the financial reporting/government forms are easy for me.

I am very sorry for what happened to WM. No one deserves something like this. I wish them luck and hope hard work and determination can help them regain what ALL employees have lost (not just the owner)!

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Can they not go after the personal assets? Ir seems that unless the thief was a gambler or a drug addict that the money had to end up somewhere.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom