Who cleans cotton for a hundred and thirty bucks? Really lady?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
View attachment 3984View attachment 3985View attachment 3986View attachment 3987

Couch is over 20 years old, cotton and amazing. It was awesome kinda 70's-ish.

She said the last guy that cleaned it charged her $130...

After I expIained it got too wet/not dry fast enough and told her 300 bucks she just about pooped. I'm like it's a couch you are never going to get again. It's perfect except for the browning. wtf were you thinking lady?

This place has two man made ponds in the front yard, guy put in an elevator when his wife broke her leg.
I've been back to clean for her three times, the couch still looks the same.

Seemed puzzling to me, the lady and the cleaner.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Cooper.
It looks like it is about 15 feet long, tell her that in S.F we would have charged about $499.00
Maybe that would have made the $300.00 seem more of a bargain for her. :winky:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I've cleaned that couch more time than I can count.

So, what would you use to fix that, Mike? Clean it again, mist on some browning treatment, peroxide?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
How comfortable are you with cotton?

I would be careful on the head rests and the back if that couch sits by the window all the time and receives a lot of sunlight as it can weaken the cotton. Check the structural integrity before you start, since it stayed wet too long before if could have weakened the fabric, and the last thing you want to do is own a new white cotton couch with a hole in it.

You could clean it a number of ways - if you have a low moisture tool you could use a fine fabric shampoo, horsehair brush, and your low moisture tool and speed dry it.

With the yellowing/browning - I would use a cotton shampoo that is sodium metabisulfite based and let that sunlight do the work for you. If you are worried about over-wetting you can always still use a horsehair brush and towels. Be sure not to be too aggressive with your towel extracting or you could stretch the fabric - you can also do vacuum only passes with your upholstery tool.

If you have experience with using the products you can use a boost all/buff all combo w/ a shampoo, but I don't really recommend that unless you've tested the combination and worked with it before.

If you rinse it use an acid side rinse.

Remember to apply any pre-conditioners EVENLY.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
So, what would you use to fix that, Mike? Clean it again, mist on some browning treatment, peroxide?

I apologize for not being mike :winky:.

If you take it on, you'd want to experiment on a cushion first. Also, since it is already damaged it may require more then one visit.

Assuming that it is browning from the seeds of the cotton: In my experience a decent through cleaning with a white cotton cleaner will do the job.
It may brown more initially as you wet it, however most of the time it will get white as it dries. The sun is your friend, so get it in direct sunlight if you can. Some of the edges my have more browning- mist and towel dry.

I would not rinse it with an acid, the white cotton cleaners are acidic anyhow, as it may increase browning. The bisulfite most likely will do the work for you and as long as it is wet it will keep working..

I wouldn't use peroxide and browning treatment (a strong acid) may damage the cotton and the white cotton cleaners in a way are a browning treatment

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Ofer.

This isn't cleaning this is salvage cleaning with some expectation of what can be done for correction. I would not do it onsite, if I did I would only do the base there and take the removable cushions home to clean (the look like the worst part).

As Ofer mentioned it may take several attempts for best appearance. I'd charge accordingly. After all what's replacement value for that set? What's recovering going to cost her? Correction is the cheapest option.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Bridgepoint did make a haiton cotton EXTRACTION rinse agent.
I used to mist on and vac off.
Easy sleazy bingo bango

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Jimmy is right. Brush on some cotton shampoo and vac it off. Easy easy. Bridge point doesnt sell a one step any more so get Cobbs. Cobbs cotton shampoo is a very good product. It can make you look like a hero with out even hooking up your water line. Every cleaner should have a gallon or two on their truck. Also does wonders for cotton fringes on rugs( Larry send me a gallon for this ad)

Last edited:

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
I would have charged $450.00. But in consideration I also would have with no doubt sold a protector well. It is a perfect opportunity.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Wow pricing for you guys are very high, how long would it take for some one to clean this couch? Answers?

Chris, an average 8-9' sofa after the truck is set up(just cleaning time) would take me maybe an hour. It's the set up, prep and talk w/client that would take up most of the time.

This couch specifically, I'd spend all morning if I had to. It has issues and I know this lady will be high maintenance. I wouldn't leave til it's just about dry. If it was not cotton and something easy, a general run of mill sectional(after set up) maybe 90 minutes at most.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom